Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hubby kicking off about cost of dogs?!

Hubby kicking off about cost of dogs?!

Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hubby kicking off about cost of dogs?!

Go girls, girl power to liz & AL

fortuantly for me last time we moved (june 2005) we moved 5 mins down the road from our old house & it was a mare, hubby decided that the next move the pros would do it where ever it was, just happened to be NZ (he's well trained & sees things my way --eventually ) we did the cats vet stuff & had passport for pets sort the travel stuff

Last edited by poppets; Aug 25th 2006 at 8:54 am.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I can understand the arguements.
It's poss. to do the vets stuff yourself then the prof. company to do the shipping of pets. Try passports for pets , do an online estimate and they send you a quote in 4 days. For one dog they quoted me £1600 for shipping and the vets fees were £300-500 more depending on whether I did the vets or they collected dog and put him in kennels for 25 days to do it.
Hubby is a 'pros and cons' man. So he tries to be logical about it Asks where we'll live if we can't find a rental house?? Do we want to spend £2000 on the dog? etc etc.
Well I had no choice when we went to Sing. because it would not have been fair on a springer to be couped up there but I want to take this dog with me. I so understand what you are going through!Karma to you
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bother it says I have to spread it around before giving you more karma.
Stay cool.It'll work out
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by helinuk
Oh bother it says I have to spread it around before giving you more karma.
Stay cool.It'll work out
Get a quote from Golden Arrow - they're shipping two Bearded Collies for me from Manchester to Wellington for £3500 including all the vet fees/tests. For £6k...what are your dogs - Great Danes or Newfoundlands maybe?

Laurence
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:02 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
Don't let your husband near the computer and I'll try to keep mine away!! My husband is dealing with the packing of our own container, along with a car and a van. He is also organising the shipping of the boat. We have a house full of every packing item possible!! The only thing I will admit too is that it is alot cheaper. I am not getting involved in any of the packing, apart from the children's and my suitcase - I am leaving in two weeks - he is staying behind. So in the end I think I have won!

I have, however, insisted that our dog is shipped is by a professional company.

Liz & Co
Oh dear, another male loonytoon?! Fair compromise if you get the dog done professionally I guess. We just had first shipping quote for 40ft container, packers the whole kit & caboodle, around £7,500. How much do you think you'll be saving?
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Oh dear, another male loonytoon?! Fair compromise if you get the dog done professionally I guess. We just had first shipping quote for 40ft container, packers the whole kit & caboodle, around £7,500. How much do you think you'll be saving?
A 40foot high cube container costs £2,200 to ship from Southampton Docks to Auckland, including all handling and customs paper work charges. Packing material has been put through the books at work so no cost to us!! We were first quoted £30,000.00 for the boat to be shipped - Husband has got that down to £15,00.00 and falling!! He will have plenty of time to spend packing as there be no cooking for him, just take-out as I will already be in NZ. SO A SAVING OF £5,300 - I'm beginning to see his point.

Liz & Co
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

A 40foot high cube container costs £2,200 to ship from Southampton Docks to Auckland, including all handling and customs paper work charges. Packing material has been put through the books at work so no cost to us!! We were first quoted £30,000.00 for the boat to be shipped - Husband has got that down to £15,00.00 and falling!! He will have plenty of time to spend packing as there be no cooking for him, just take-out as I will already be in NZ. SO A SAVING OF £5,300 - I'm beginning to see his point.

Liz & Co
That's a very good deal! Where did you find a container at that price?
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helinuk
That's a very good deal! Where did you find a container at that price?
Maersk Line - we have had to book it through our company name, as they will not deal with individuals.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:01 pm

Liz & Co
There was me thinking you meant shipping the boat that was bringing your container - like you had just one boat with just your container on it coz you're very special celebs or something!! Am with you now - YOU HAVE A BOAT!!!!

Now, whilst that seems a good deal, we live in Cornwall, so he'd have to load lorry and drive to Southampton. (I won't help out of principal and may break a nail so health & safety reasons). We want to live near Tauranga, so he'd have to find, organise, drive lorry from Auckland to there. And then unpack the blooming thing & dispose of all packing materials.

This is a man who finds it hard to get off the sofa to go to bed?!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:03 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Maersk Line - we have had to book it through our company name, as they will not deal with individuals.
Hi ya, this is very interesting.

As I am self employed at the mo and trading under a company name, just wondering how they define between company and individual
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

There was me thinking you meant shipping the boat that was bringing your container - like you had just one boat with just your container on it coz you're very special celebs or something!! Am with you now - YOU HAVE A BOAT!!!!

Now, whilst that seems a good deal, we live in Cornwall, so he'd have to load lorry and drive to Southampton. (I won't help out of principal and may break a nail so health & safety reasons). We want to live near Tauranga, so he'd have to find, organise, drive lorry from Auckland to there. And then unpack the blooming thing & dispose of all packing materials.

That's nothing, my husband finds it hard to get out of bed and get to the sofa!! But as I said, I'm off in 2 weeks and if my furniture, boat and dog do not arrive....................!!!!

Liz & C
o
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie

As I am self employed at the mo and trading under a company name, just wondering how they define between company and individual
Do you know, I was signing paperwork for Companies House this morning to de-register our Limited Company as we're not currently trading. Do you think that would suffice? A Limited Company name?
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:11 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Do you know, I was signing paperwork for Companies House this morning to de-register our Limited Company as we're not currently trading. Do you think that would suffice? A Limited Company name?
I'm only Sole Trader, so thats the first hurdle - however I know a bloke.....
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie

We do a lot of shipping to the Channel Islands at work so just bluffed my way through conversations - they were more that happy to deal with me.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

LOL
Funny- this forum chatting- we'll never meet in uk (you being in Cornwall and us in Surrey), but might in NZ cos we are looking at Tauranga too!

I always have a giggle at 'Maersk'- the Swedes who lived in same condo as us in Sing. worked for Maersk and when they pronounced it it sounded like it rhymed with Smerf, that silly song.. I'm rambling must have had too many G&Ts in the kiwi bar. I'm off to bed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.