Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How Soon Do You Get Passports Back?

How Soon Do You Get Passports Back?

Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:34 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default How Soon Do You Get Passports Back?

Anyone know how soon you get your passports back from NZIS when you send them with your ITA?

Also, to get a visitor's visa do we have to go to London to get the passport stamped or do we have to send it off to NZ?
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:41 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Soon Do You Get Passports Back?

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Anyone know how soon you get your passports back from NZIS when you send them with your ITA?

Also, to get a visitor's visa do we have to go to London to get the passport stamped or do we have to send it off to NZ?
You can get your passports back at any time if you need tham for travel etc. Otherwise they hang on to them until PR is issued and you get them back with the lovely blue stickers! This may of course be several weeks after submitting your ITA.

If you ask for them back at some point you'll have to send them back in to get the stickers.

Don't know about the visitors visa though. Sorry
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:55 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biddy
You can get your passports back at any time if you need tham for travel etc. Otherwise they hang on to them until PR is issued and you get them back with the lovely blue stickers! This may of course be several weeks after submitting your ITA.

If you ask for them back at some point you'll have to send them back in to get the stickers.

Don't know about the visitors visa though. Sorry

So I could probably send them with the ITA, ask for them back in September to go over in October, and then send them to London to get them back in time for us to go with visitors visas in, then give them in in NZ when the PR is given. Sounds logical. Thanks Biddy, helpful as always.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:20 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

So I could probably send them with the ITA, ask for them back in September to go over in October, and then send them to London to get them back in time for us to go with visitors visas in, then give them in in NZ when the PR is given. Sounds logical. Thanks Biddy, helpful as always.
Think so.

Best thing to do is to give someone at NZ immeg a ring. Once you've got a case worker he/she will be able to give you definative answers.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:40 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about timescales for the return of passports Jan but Biddy is right - you can ask for them to be returned at any time - or you could just send them certified copies of all non-blank pages in your passports with your ITA and hang on to your passports until your PR stickers need to be put in...

As for getting a visitor's visa Jan, these are the guidelines from the NZIS website re visiting NZ -

If you are a British citizen or British passport holder who has evidence of the right to live permanently in the United Kingdom, you may be granted a visitor’s permit valid for six months on arrival.

This means that if you meet this criteria you don't need to apply for a visitor's visa/permit before you leave the UK I think...Have a look here though http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...1018June15.pdf
and check it out for yourself just to make sure...

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 13th 2005 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 6:14 pm
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future
Smile Re: How Soon Do You Get Passports Back?

Hi,

As we are living in Spain we sent in certified copies of our passports and we will meet our case officer and have the visas actually inserted when we travel to NZ thro' London.

We have been granted the PR so we are traveling soon. (Fingers Crossed!!)

The copies need to be certified by a lawyer or similar.

Hope that helps.

Matt
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

nessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nice

We sent our passports in on 26th June to get the blue stickers. When I rang on Tuesday to see how long they would be (we need photocopies for solicior!) i wwas told 4 to 6 weeks. They arrived the next day!!!!

Worth chasing me thinks.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nessie
We sent our passports in on 26th June to get the blue stickers. When I rang on Tuesday to see how long they would be (we need photocopies for solicior!) i wwas told 4 to 6 weeks. They arrived the next day!!!!

Worth chasing me thinks.

i applied for and recieved my work visa stickered passports within 3 days, its insanely quick.

chase your passports NZ Govt seem well quick, or they have in my situation
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Not sure about timescales for the return of passports Jan but Biddy is right - you can ask for them to be returned at any time - or you could just send them certified copies of all non-blank pages in your passports with your ITA and hang on to your passports until your PR stickers need to be put in...

As for getting a visitor's visa Jan, these are the guidelines from the NZIS website re visiting NZ -

If you are a British citizen or British passport holder who has evidence of the right to live permanently in the United Kingdom, you may be granted a visitor’s permit valid for six months on arrival.

This means that if you meet this criteria you don't need to apply for a visitor's visa/permit before you leave the UK I think...Have a look here though http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...1018June15.pdf
and check it out for yourself just to make sure...
I'm pretty sure that as a UK citizen you get issued a six month visitor/tourist visa when you touch down in NZ. Best to check though as it's been a while since we were there. Your travel agent will be able to tell you when you buy your ticket.
Mark