Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HOW MUCH MORE BEFORE ACTION

HOW MUCH MORE BEFORE ACTION

Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW MUCH MORE BEFORE ACTION

Originally Posted by lardyl
yep ,that's a good start - along of course with crushing the offenders' vehicles like they are doing already in some places
oh and offer cheap track nights for the the petrolheads to let off steam! - also being done
Raising the driving age and compulsory insurance is the obvious one I agree but it won't stop someone getting drunk and driving without insurance. So when someone does do that you would hope the penalties would be severe such as disqualified from driving for x years.

I'm not sure the track nights are a good idea because that encourages the thrill-seeking behaviour. Maybe the problem is the lack of real motorways here...even I confess to slightly missing ever being able to drive over 50kms most of the time.

Called in at the dairy on the way home from school and some idiot/hoon or whatever with a souped up engine accelerated noisily and dangerously along the road and made my kids jump out of their skin....that's how not to drive I said. I never see any police in Wellington...if they hung around incognito on a few street corners they'd be able to up their stats in no time..assuming they could keep up that is.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I never see any police in Wellington...if they hung around incognito on a few street corners they'd be able to up their stats in no time..assuming they could keep up that is.
Too true, we never see many police around Auckland either. I wonder where they all are? The only time I have ever seen any police presence in over three years, is the occasional traffic squad car parked up somewhere along the motorway and everyone knows when they are as you get the general idea from the cars flashing their headlights from the opposite direction. Meanwhile the kids are wreaking havoc, racing and doing donuts on the 'quieter' traffic free roads and car parks.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:02 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Bring in compulsory insurance & raise the driving age for starters, there again I've mud for brains most of the time.

Oh oh Bev

You gonna start a campaign

Sorry, couldn't resist

Yes, I agree it is really that simple
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:08 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Raising the driving age and compulsory insurance is the obvious one I agree but it won't stop someone getting drunk and driving without insurance. So when someone does do that you would hope the penalties would be severe such as disqualified from driving for x years.

I'm not sure the track nights are a good idea because that encourages the thrill-seeking behaviour. Maybe the problem is the lack of real motorways here...even I confess to slightly missing ever being able to drive over 50kms most of the time.

Called in at the dairy on the way home from school and some idiot/hoon or whatever with a souped up engine accelerated noisily and dangerously along the road and made my kids jump out of their skin....that's how not to drive I said. I never see any police in Wellington...if they hung around incognito on a few street corners they'd be able to up their stats in no time..assuming they could keep up that is.
This is the real problem

Attitude - lack of respect

It really needs attention - sadly

And yes to the fact re ZERO police

I HEAR the HOONS nearly every night and it is VERY obvious they are driving like maniacs and WAY OVER the speed limit

Every night

Nothing done

But hell, the local headlines today are - expect local rates hike up to 26% -
FOR WHAT ?

Zero delivery- pah
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:24 pm
Banned

Here’s something positive

Someone in a responsible position doing what they get paid to do.

I think there are some strong and important messages in here that state the fragmented government legislations need attention.

Not from people like you or I but the government

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10496653

Efforts to control driver behaviour on beaches will get nowhere until the Government moves to resolve confusing roles played by a multitude of agencies with beach jurisdiction, Far North Mayor Wayne Brown believes.
Mr Brown has written to Local Government Minister Nanaia Mahuta urging a national approach to the issue of idiot driving behaviour on beaches throughout the country.
He sees this as preferable to a piecemeal approach being taken by local bodies, government departments, police and agencies in different parts of NZ, including Northland, where speed-restricting bylaws are proposed for at least four high-profile, "high-conflict" beaches.
Regional councils, district councils, the Department of Conservation, police, Ministry of Transport and Land Transport NZ all have some jurisdiction on beaches, Mr Brown said, but each has different legislative roles and administrative boundaries.
"Headway needs to be made before next summer's mayhem [on beaches] begins and the government needs to take the lead role in progressing this issue," he wrote.
He did not want Far North ratepayers to have to bear the cost of jurisdictional changes to allow the introduction of speed-restricting bylaws.
He's also not convinced that imposing speed limits on beaches will bring the result communities want.
"The behaviour of those causing problems on beaches is all about stupidity rather than a lack of enforcement rules.
"I don't want to see a whole lot of new rules and regulations imposed on sensible people just to deal with a few stupid New Zealanders."
But Northland Regional Council manager of planning and policy, Glen Mortimer, said survey responses showed speed on Northland beaches was the major concern of beach users.
Legal advice to the regional council was that control of beaches rested with the Crown, under the Foreshore and Seabed Act, and speed limits could be introduced by the Crown, Mr Mortimer said.
"We hope to have a clear direction on this from the Crown by next month," he said.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 4:19 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
You are obviously a person with great drive and determination - well done you!
You are consistent in your approach in trying to make people aware of the problems here - always a good thing.
I can only suggest that you follow up the links given to you and try to push for change where your opinion may make a difference.
Good luck
Is it me, or did that read a little tongue in cheeky?
Old Mar 7th 2008, 5:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:00 am
Banned

Mods can

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even the mods
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:05 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all: I'm just misunderstood. .
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:10 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

my turn to "yeah right".......
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:12 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
my turn to "yeah right".......
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:14 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:19 pm
Banned

I can sympathise with you and imagine it should be pretty straight forward to understand but some folk always have to be difficult

As a mod you are here to ensure that members treat each other with respect.

There are rules that are set out by the forum that the members must adhere to

If the members misunderstand you and stray outside the boundaries the site moderators will be there pulling the members back in line

As a moderator your objective is to ensure that the rules are not broken

So ultimately you are somewhat like a police man / woman

So if you are misunderstood as a website moderator where the worst that can happen is a FULL CAPS text barney with maybe a few naughty words in between.

In my opinion the BE site has a really good moderator ( policing ) presence to keep things running the way they want

Can you imagine where they are real life threatening rules and having to enforce these

Have a great Monday
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think there are two problems in NZ that are totally out of hand - ridiculously noisy cars, and dangerous driving.

It scares me to have my wife and kids out on the streets with these idiots around. Stronger legislation is obviously needed, but this has to be backed up with actions for lawbreakers. The guy who killed 2 people whilst driving/texting/drunk was this week given a very mild rebuke, not even prison for 1 day.

As for the noisy cars, can someone please tell what the point of these modified cars is, do kiwis have such small appendages that making a frightful racket as they whizz down the street makes them feel bigger? Says a lot for their mentality and the lifestyle choices on offer in NZ.

As for even driving cars on beaches, ahem, yes thats very clean and green isnt it?

Oh and by the way, I got a speeding ticket for doing 116kph on a clear 4 -lane dual carriageway in broad daylight this week. But then of course I register my car, so I can be traced and will actually pay my fine, so its easy for the cops. Hundreds of late night hoons together and the police do sod all.

Tremendous.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Care to introduce yourself?

Where is this 4 lane dual carriageway anyhow.

Not that I don't agree with the views on NZ driving standards 'n all but to just plough straight on in without so much as a Hi and Bye is a bit on the unusual side shall we say. Had a few of those of late. HHmm .

Welcome to BE and hope you find the time to post all sorts of help, advice and support to the site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.