Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many are moving on?

How many are moving on?

Old May 4th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi many are moving on?

Originally Posted by pascalr
Nowhere is perfect, not even New Zealand-SO STOP PRETENDING IT IS and do let everyone know how you feel when you move back here, is it still perfect then...????

I am FED UP thinking about this lousy topic any more really really.

so what, what, what? !!

I sometimes think I'd better stay away from this BE forum whenever I find/read about too much negativity since I am such an emotional person.

The most of people in nz seem to struggle with money/ life's hard and tough. I read newspaper every morning and that makes me so depressing. http://www.stuff.co.nz/4509520a10.html I clearly see the reason why NZers leaving for Oz/ or somewhere else - It's fair enough. At times it makes me confused as well (it doesn't mean I want to leave nz right now) - should I stay here or what.

Obviously I've been struggling with my life here too- everybody does. but I don't want to complain myself with every single word like a stupid child

for instance, this morning it's freaking cold. my bedroom temperature was only 15 degree when I got up. if I open the door, I feel freezing. but if I shut the door (18 degree), it's bloody dry and air's foul. my body's like ice cream What can I do about it? my only wish is I could have tons of money and move to somewhere makes me comfortable and warm. and especially when you have ulcer/chronic pain, it doesn't help at all. it's not fun.

I have no idea - where is NZ govt heading to.

Last edited by crap coffee; May 4th 2008 at 2:00 am.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:44 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

London is NOT the best city in the World. It may very well be the best city in the World to some people but that's opinion not fact.

Customer service is NOT lousy here - in my experience and really, at the end of the day all that matters is a person's own experience. I've had the most wonderful conversations with customer service people and they've gone out of their way to be helpful to me. But you know what? it's because that's how I treat them! I'm nice to people and what d'you know - that's what I get back.

Well in most cases - Crap Coffee, have I done something to offend you? Twice now, I've addressed you directly and both times you've ignored me. Your perogative entirely but I'm curious
Old May 4th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Well in most cases - Crap Coffee, have I done something to offend you? Twice now, I've addressed you directly and both times you've ignored me. Your perogative entirely but I'm curious
Batty, not at all. thankful for your warm support! I will take your great advice anyway..

sorry.....

I am incredibly lazy to reply everyone here. I am not easily offended by anyone /ppls comment.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:58 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Batty, not at all. thankful for your warm support! I will take your great advice anyway..

sorry.....

I am incredibly lazy to reply everyone here. I am not usually offended by anyone /ppls comment.
phew! I was beginning to get paranoid
Old May 4th 2008, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Batty
London is NOT the best city in the World. It may very well be the best city in the World to some people but that's opinion not fact.

Customer service is NOT lousy here - in my experience and really, at the end of the day all that matters is a person's own experience. I've had the most wonderful conversations with customer service people and they've gone out of their way to be helpful to me. But you know what? it's because that's how I treat them! I'm nice to people and what d'you know - that's what I get back.

I agree with Batty...
i dont have any issues with customer service in NZ either, I work in it and like you say if you are nice to them then they are nice back, nasty and then you get crap service of them

Give them the chance to help you first and then they will do what they can to help you, but if you scream and shout first then they wont want to help, thats human nature...treat people how you would like to be treated
Old May 4th 2008, 1:00 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Customer service is CRAP here. Why do you have to spend up to an hour waiting to speak to some clueless, dopey, kiwi who knows nothing anyway:curse:

And London is the the best city in the world, except to you, Batty who pefers Auckland

And Crap Coffee if you dont like dont read, simple
Old May 4th 2008, 1:05 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Customer service is CRAP here. Why do you have to spend up to an hour waiting to speak to some clueless, dopey, kiwi who knows nothing anyway:curse:
I've had nothing but fantastic customer service here. Of course a lot of it depends on how you treat the person on the other end of the line, so if you're treating them how you treat people here, pascalr, I'm not at all surprised.

And London is the the best city in the world, except to you, Batty who pefers Auckland
Strange... it can be best and one of the dirtiest at the same time? Now Chicago, there's a lovely clean city! Walked through the centre barefoot more than once, no worries. London's so damned expensive, too. I prefer Paris for cost.

And if you don't like (the country), leave, simple. god I hate whiny men!
Old May 4th 2008, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
I've had nothing but fantastic customer service here. Of course a lot of it depends on how you treat the person on the other end of the line, so if you're treating them how you treat people here, pascalr, I'm not at all surprised.
Same here

sniggers at that comment karma to maz
Old May 4th 2008, 1:19 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katypie
That must have been many moons ago indeed! Brixton is still a little rough around the edges but is fast becoming a very popular place for professionals to live.

I was born a Brit, moved to NZ with my Kiwi Mum and UK Dad when I was five and am now living in London having worked here for close to four years. (Despite where I was born I consider myself a Kiwi through and through now!)

I am now thinking about when and if I might move home and came across this forum as I have many of the same questions you all have - will I find it too small after having lived in London? What will my earning potential be? etc etc. After four years away without visiting I am feeling a bit out of touch.

To be honest, some of the comments on here have saddened me a bit. Is this really how Brit expats see Kiwis and NZ?

I, like many Kiwis, am not blind to the drawbacks of living in NZ. Its small (only 4 million people), the work opportunities aren't as good (only 4 million people!), the creative/arts world is not as big and extensive (hello?! only 4 million people!!!) If a bustling metropolitan lifestyle with extensive work and cultural opportunity is what is important to you in life then NZ cannot possibly offer that. Not because we don't have the talent, willing or initiative, but because we simply don't have the population to support it. We just can't compete with other European countries on that level.

However, if you think these things are completely lacking from NZ life then I would suggest you're not looking hard enough - especially if you live in Wellington or Auckland. NZ does have a thriving and quality arts scene. Its certainly small but its definitely there if you want to find it.

As for the people, yes, some (especially in small towns) can be insular and overly sports oriented. We can be stubborn and overly patriotic. We have "tall poppy syndrome" and therefore people from other cultures who openly embrace ambition, achievement and success can sometimes appear arrogant to us.

On the other side NZ has a way of life that is the antithesis to the life I am currently living in London - laidback and outdoorsy, with beautiful beaches, bush, hills, rivers and mountains on your doorstep. It also has fantastic cafes (when I moved to London I struggled to find a decent coffee or a quirky independently owned cafe), great bars and restaurants and far better brunches than the UK! Greasy spoons ... urgh! It also has friendly customer service

And while many Kiwis can be a little less sophisticated than some of our European counterparts I think you are kidding yourself if you think the UK is full of enlightened, well mannered cultural types by comparison (Vicky Pollard is not an over exaggeration!) In addition most Kiwis are also loyal, up for a laugh, gregarious and down to earth.

As for the suggestion that "NZ must be crap otherwise why would so many be living overseas" (I paraphrase!) well most Kiwis I know travel overseas because they have a sense of adventure and curiousity and want to experience something of the wider world. I love living in London for all the things it offers that NZ can't - LOTS of theatre, music and art, easy travel to Europe, huge diversity, English pubs (nowhere does a pub like England!), beautiful and historic architecture and a vibrant, bustling city environment. But London can also be vast, dirty, hard work, rude and lonely. I, like all the other Kiwis I know in London, am here not because I think NZ is crap but because I recognise its limitations and want the opportunity to experience something new for while. And, again like most other Kiwis, I will eventually return home because those limitations are outweighed by the positives.

Anyway, I know this has been overly long, but what I wanted to say, was in your criticisms of NZ (which are all valid to some degree) please try and avoid unhelpful generalisations about why Kiwis leave NZ, about Kiwis at home and about NZ. We are not all sports mad, beer swilling racists (some are! ... just like some people in the UK) We are far more diverse than that and if you look you will find plenty of people who love music, theatre, art and literature.

But if you really have given life in NZ a genuine shot and it can't give you what you're looking for, then good luck for your next move! After all, no country can be all things to all people.

Arohanui.

Best post I've EVER read on this forum. Good on yer mate!...and by a Kiwi as well!
Old May 4th 2008, 1:32 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Although I agree that on the whole the customer service is poor, in NZs defence (and lets not forget I'm no fan of NZ), I have to say I have found situations easier to manage. If I've been unhappy with a service or treatment, I request to speak to a Manager. I state clearly what I don't like and what I expect. As a whole, in every instance, the response has been fantastic. I have not experienced that ease in the UK, usually company representatives really don't give a damn and you mention 'hold time' I think that's global! Unless you catch a company open at midnight. Companies do seem more willing to meet you half way here and do seem genuinely interested when you make a complaint, as its not really in the Kiwi culture to provide 'feedback.' I've probably experienced more mistakes and worse treatment in NZ, but I've also received better resolves.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:09 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz

Strange... it can be best and one of the dirtiest at the same time? Now Chicago, there's a lovely clean city! Walked through the centre barefoot more than once, no worries. London's so damned expensive, too. I prefer Paris for cost.

Maz, I get the feeling you hate all men.

London is expensive when you're poor & walking through the centre of Chicargo barefoot? - nice, classy too!
Old May 4th 2008, 2:27 am
By name and by nature

Actually, I DO prefer Auckland. I lived in London for 7 years. Lived East and West and at one time or another worked in the North, the West and the City. I knew it pretty well and I still don't think it's the 'best city in the World'.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

He's on my ignore list but I can see the bitter sentiments he is so well known for when other people quote him. Why on earth he does not just leave the country is beyond me. Well why dont you Pascalr?? What keeps you in such a crap place where everything is utter crap??? Silly question really because I won't see the answer. I am surprised ANYONE can be so angry. Its quite sad really.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:31 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Karma to Katypie for very eloquent post.
Old May 4th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Where about in Rangi? We lived there, great place, have you been in the Plough
Hi

No we haven't been in the Plough but I know where it is down the Oxford Road. We rented in The Oaks when we got here and moved to Chch to another rental and now we are buying back in Pomiora!!

Will have to explore when we get settled.

Shirl
UK to NZ 2006
Soon to live in Rangiora

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.