British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How many are moving on? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-many-moving-530129/)

NZGrl Apr 17th 2008 11:44 pm

How many are moving on?

Just wondering how many people that currently live in NZ are looking to move either back to UK or another country.

How easy/difficult are you finding getting to another place? How many people would LIKE to move from NZ but cannot afford it yet? What countries are people considering moving to from here?

What are your reasons for wanting to move?

and yes....I am a nosey Bugger!:D

prestonsprings Apr 17th 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Hi many are moving on?

I'm moving to Dubai in June. Originally from the UK, been here for 5 years, I love it here but want a change and the chance to earn some real money. Will come back here tho rather than the UK. You aren't auntie Helen are you? or the tax man?

NZGrl Apr 18th 2008 12:18 am

Very funny!! We have thought about Dubai too...Chance of making some money etc

kwprwn Apr 18th 2008 12:36 am

Been here for 2 years, hubby got offered a job in western australia last november and went in feb i am waiting for my visa to come through to go join him...the job was a good chance for him to further his career and he couldnt turn down based on that fact

so in limbo waiting for visa currently

Dawn

BEVS Apr 18th 2008 1:07 am

This thread would have been great for an open Poll.:)

We are not currently looking to move from NZ at the moment. However, never say never. We have discussed perhaps moving from here in the future.

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 18th 2008 1:45 am

Generally happy here but would not dismiss the chance of going to Oz in the future, mainly to be better off. That nasty Auntie Helen keeps taking our hard-earned dosh :curse:

Mrs V is less happy about this as her view of Oz is mainly wildlife based, that is, she believes every creature will try to kill her via teeth or venom. She can't accept that people actually survive there. :eek:

owen Apr 18th 2008 9:48 am

I'm here on a two year work to residency, so will make me mind up later.

Some issues I'm pondering
My work wants to invest in my future and send me to uni for post grad qualifications, they will then promote me. They will only send me to uni if I have residency and have asked me to change from my work visa at my expense.

The internet is lousy here.

I hate being so many flights away from my daughter. I deally would like to be one flight away.

There is so much to see/live/experience in the world, so little life.

I really can see myself living on a longer basis here in NZ, I can't put my finger on why cos there is soooo much wrong here, but it makes me feel good generally.

Money isn't a big issue for me, I'm not well paid but I get by comfortably (no family), but I had a suprising conversation with a colleague today. She has been here 18mths (me 5) and we agreed whilst we both found groceries and some other things expensive here, we are both managing to save money each month. We both were so skint in the UK, sliding slowly into debt every month. I haven't figured out why yet.

Oh yeah and the internet isn;t so great here. I used to download a lot of TV in the UK and then have my own TV on demand. I have improved the speed enough to see my little girl on video skype now which is great (cos I can stay) but download is impossible.

Batty Apr 18th 2008 10:11 am

Originally Posted by owen (Post 6227216)

I really can see myself living on a longer basis here in NZ, I can't put my finger on why cos there is soooo much wrong here, but it makes me feel good generally.

Gotcha! :lol:

Ah no, your post made me smile anyway - the Wah Wah Wah IS lousy here :D

pascalr Apr 18th 2008 10:24 am

This place is DIRE! Can't wait to leave.

May even move back to UK just to get out of here, hate it hate it hate it!

Batty Apr 18th 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by pascalr (Post 6227317)

At the risk of sounding like the people who say 'leave then' WHY are you still here?

jomac1290 Apr 18th 2008 10:51 am

We would love to move to NZ but sadly cannot afford it at present :( researched it loads came over last Easter . Am coming over on 26th May cant wait :D Hate the UK so are now planning to go to ROI. Still got no cash but a lot cheaper to relocate without airfares for 5 plus 2 dogs !

we may stay forever ?
we may move to nz in future if we win the lottery ?
we may return to Uk (not likely option!)

worse case scenario cant sell house and may go NOWHERE :(

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE OTHERS PLANNING THERE MOVE !

jomac1290 Apr 18th 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by pascalr (Post 6227317)

GOD WHAT MAKES IT THAT BAD YOU WANT TO RETURN TO UK ? Fancy swopping places :unsure: Where were you from in UK ?
Sorry you r miserable i know how that feels, this housing crisis got me worried want OUT OF HERE !!!

Batty Apr 18th 2008 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jomac1290 (Post 6227398)
We would love to move to NZ but sadly cannot afford it at present :( researched it loads came over last Easter . Am coming over on 26th May cant wait :D Hate the UK so are now planning to go to ROI. Still got no cash but a lot cheaper to relocate without airfares for 5 plus 2 dogs !

we may stay forever ?
we may move to nz in future if we win the lottery ?
we may return to Uk (not likely option!)

worse case scenario cant sell house and may go NOWHERE :(

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE OTHERS PLANNING THERE MOVE !

Hiya - I'm from ROI and I often think of suggesting there as an alternative to people when they're not sure about here. It's very similar, especially if you're outside Dublin but there's loads more money over there :D What part are you moving to?

crap coffee Apr 18th 2008 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jomac1290 (Post 6227398)
Hate the UK

hey

loads of people hate the U.K, however bloody many people do hate New Zealand too

if I win the lottery, I shall move back to the U.K

Batty Apr 18th 2008 11:15 am

All anyone needs is a ticket. I'm not being blase or anything like that but WHY would you waste the best years of your life being somewhere you don't want to be? Just do it! the same way as people are told to just do it and come here the same is true for the reverse! Yes, it may cost you money. But, stress will cost you your life.