Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How to make friends and influence people...

How to make friends and influence people...

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all
Default How to make friends and influence people...

I've been dabbling (sorry ) in some other sites, namely a "social networking" one and have logged myself into the NZ network. I've been messaging loads of people who live over there. Firstly all those with my surname. Then people who lived in Wellington...and I've made loads of new friends for when I arrive. Brill.
As a (current) stay at home mum I was a bit worried about making friends - I know you on here are a friendly bunch but I didn't want to limit myself to alcoholics, weirdos and sex-maniacs
but now I have some others to meet up with too. One of the women is actually in the UK at the moment and has been up to meet us. Her OH is in IT and has offered to help my OH get a job and she's said we can stay in her house when we arrive. Result!
Just wanted to share my good news.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: How to make friends and influence people...

That is a great idea, I'm pleased to hear that you've had some success with it. I'm a stay at home mum too and am also concerned about making new friends when we get to NZ. I'm going to give this a go this afternoon.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all
Default Re: How to make friends and influence people...

Originally Posted by ginabridget
That is a great idea, I'm pleased to hear that you've had some success with it. I'm a stay at home mum too and am also concerned about making new friends when we get to NZ. I'm going to give this a go this afternoon.
hope you make some new chums too...let me know how you get on.

sb
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:32 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant idea.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:36 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

That's a proper 'Kiwi ingenuity' way of solving the problem Good for you!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southerner
Brilliant idea.
Thanks. I thought so too!!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saritabear
I've been dabbling (sorry ) in some other sites, namely a "social networking" one and have logged myself into the NZ network. I've been messaging loads of people who live over there. Firstly all those with my surname. Then people who lived in Wellington...and I've made loads of new friends for when I arrive. Brill.
As a (current) stay at home mum I was a bit worried about making friends - I know you on here are a friendly bunch but I didn't want to limit myself to alcoholics, weirdos and sex-maniacs
but now I have some others to meet up with too. One of the women is actually in the UK at the moment and has been up to meet us. Her OH is in IT and has offered to help my OH get a job and she's said we can stay in her house when we arrive. Result!
Just wanted to share my good news.

That's a good idea my daughter & son in law made lots of friends on a NZ messageboard and met up with them when they got there. They live in the same area as some so they have remained friends. That's what you need when you first arrive. They point you in the right direction. When do you expect to go and what part. My daughter & family are in Papamoa, Tauranga.
I see you live in my neck of the woods, I used to go shopping in Bolton but not now. I had to go on business last week and could not help but notice how many shops were closed. What's happening?

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Apr 4th 2008 at 2:37 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
That's a good idea my daughter & son in law made lots of friends on a NZ messageboard and met up with them when they got there. They live in the same area as some so they have remained friends. That's what you need when you first arrive. They point you in the right direction. When do you expect to go and what part. My daughter & family are in Papamoa, Tauranga.
I see you live in my neck of the woods, I used to go shopping in Bolton but not now. I had to go on business last week and could not help but notice how many shops were closed. What's happening?
Hi.
We are hopefully going to Wellington within the next six months or so....depends on jobs and houses as always.
I'm in Egerton so try to avoid the town centre if I can! Think they are redeveloping big chunks of it at the moment so that might explain the closures?
sarah
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

[QUOTE=saritabear;6153118]
QUOTE]

When you get bored of your new 'straight' friends, you'll know where to find us!

Seriously - good idea, us stay at home mums need all the grown-up company we can find.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

FAB idea SB. It's great making new friends.it can be hard when you are stuck at home a lot, and everyone else you know is at work.. I can't wait to meet up with all the other Wellie Mums in when I get there

PL
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Wilma & co;6160003]
QUOTE]

When you get bored of your new 'straight' friends, you'll know where to find us!

Seriously - good idea, us stay at home mums need all the grown-up company we can find.
I'm hoping I can be a sort of bi person and flit between the aforementioned and post-mentioned (not sure if that's the right word!). Anyway Wilma, as you advised, I've been and bought an all in one PVC catsuit so I'll fit in with the locals. Did get a bit of a funny look from the bloke in the shop though!!!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

[QUOTE=saritabear;6164393]
Originally Posted by Wilma & co
Anyway Wilma, as you advised, I've been and bought an all in one PVC catsuit so I'll fit in with the locals. Did get a bit of a funny look from the bloke in the shop though!!!
I never said any such thing.......leather I said, less sweaty!!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Bugger as the man in the van famously said.

[QUOTE=Wilma & co;6164487]

Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

So.....does anyone need a size 14 pvc catsuit. Slightly secondhand but marks will rub off with bleach and a scourer. Any offers considered.

[QUOTE=Wilma & co;6164487]

Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Is it like this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Clothing/Wo...-148215778.htm