Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you miss historic Europe?

Do you miss historic Europe?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you miss historic Europe?

I guess this questions is posed mainly for ex-pats from Europe. I've just spent 10 days showing my Wellington kiwi friend around historic sites in the UK, which she has been really impressed by.
Do you miss old churches, stately homes, castles and the rich history that's associated with Europe, or do you forget about these things given the beautiful landscape, and different type of lifestyle in NZ?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you miss historic Europe?

Originally Posted by G-J-B View Post
I guess this questions is posed mainly for ex-pats from Europe. I've just spent 10 days showing my Wellington kiwi friend around historic sites in the UK, which she has been really impressed by.
Do you miss old churches, stately homes, castles and the rich history that's associated with Europe, or do you forget about these things given the beautiful landscape, and different type of lifestyle in NZ?
Hi

I have just come back from Belgium, I know exactly what you mean about culture, chocolate, beer, horse & carts (watch out they stop for nobody!!!!).
They even have lovely brick houses!
For a moment I even thought we should head to Belgium instead, but only for a moment.
Its so flat (no hills for miles), they dont speak the lingo (er sorry I dont speak flemish!), they wear dodgy 'european clothes', they drive on the wrong side of the road, its as cold as England and The 'English' do not always seem that popular in europe (cant think why; football, wars, John Cleese......)

So we 'Think' we might stick with Nz for now, possibly maybe not sure

Cheers Jads
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Its one of the BIGGEST misses for me!!! NZ is so new there's very little aged stuff apart from people like me!!

I miss historic buildings immenesly. NZ is very, very beautiful but in some ways many, many parts of europe and the UK are just as beautiful and some more so.

Alas you have to break eggs when making an omlete!!!! The trade off for what I have in total in my life here however is well worth the sacrifice.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jads,

Funny you should mention Belgium, because before reaching the UK my kiwi buddy stopped by Belgium first. She was majorly impressed (asides from catching a cold!), by the buildings, cobbled streets, certain foods (chocolate in particular), and is keen to come back some time.

Sounds like you're on the horns of a dilemma! Good luck with that one!

Originally Posted by jads View Post
Hi

I have just come back from Belgium, I know exactly what you mean about culture, chocolate, beer, horse & carts (watch out they stop for nobody!!!!).
They even have lovely brick houses!
For a moment I even thought we should head to Belgium instead, but only for a moment.
Its so flat (no hills for miles), they dont speak the lingo (er sorry I dont speak flemish!), they wear dodgy 'european clothes', they drive on the wrong side of the road, its as cold as England and The 'English' do not always seem that popular in europe (cant think why; football, wars, John Cleese......)

So we 'Think' we might stick with Nz for now, possibly maybe not sure

Cheers Jads
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Greetings Genesis, thanks for providing your insight. As someone who's never seen NZ, I do have a rather idyllic picture in my mind of the country. I'm actually emmigrating to France next week - it's a beautiful country with lots of history, but I've got to get to better grips with the language! At least you don't have that worry over in NZ, and after spending 10 days with my friend (the first kiwi I've met in person incidentally), she was so easy going and her culture and background had a real British feel about it.
I think if life didn't pain out in France, I would probably look towards NZ, but I'm sure I'd miss the rich history of Europe so much.
Glad you're enjoying life there anyway.

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Its one of the BIGGEST misses for me!!! NZ is so new there's very little aged stuff apart from people like me!!

I miss historic buildings immenesly. NZ is very, very beautiful but in some ways many, many parts of europe and the UK are just as beautiful and some more so.

Alas you have to break eggs when making an omlete!!!! The trade off for what I have in total in my life here however is well worth the sacrifice.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:31 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I'm actually emmigrating to France next week...

...I think if life didn't pain out in France...
Isn't pain the French word for bread? Also, maybe it's one of the differences between British English and American English, but isn't it emigrating from and immigrating to? I see a lot of British posters use the term emigrate to and it looks odd to me.

Sorry for the lame hijack, back to your thread...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
Isn't pain the French word for bread? Also, maybe it's one of the differences between British English and American English, but isn't it emigrating from and immigrating to? I see a lot of British posters use the term emigrate to and it looks odd to me.

Sorry for the lame hijack, back to your thread...

Absolutely 'pain' is bread; I'm just really sleepy right now, and often type gibberish. I've always used 'emigrating to' - I think 'immigrating to' may well be American/Canadian. Strange hey, I'd never thought about it until now.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:36 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:40 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in The Hague for two years and really, really miss Holland at times. Not so much our own historic buildings because often you have to travel to see them - over there you're amongst them all the time. I've felt slightly homesick for it ever since I left in 1995 and much more so than I've ever felt for Ireland. Still, I'm actually the same person here as I was there - much, much less stressed than I was in London or Dublin so I'm good. Good luck in France. No matter what, have yourself some fun. It's lovely to live in a 'real' European country - even if it is France Sorry, couldn't resist
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Batty View Post
I lived in The Hague for two years and really, really miss Holland at times. Not so much our own historic buildings because often you have to travel to see them - over there you're amongst them all the time. I've felt slightly homesick for it ever since I left in 1995 and much more so than I've ever felt for Ireland. Still, I'm actually the same person here as I was there - much, much less stressed than I was in London or Dublin so I'm good. Good luck in France. No matter what, have yourself some fun. It's lovely to live in a 'real' European country - even if it is France Sorry, couldn't resist
No offence taken whatsoever! Funny to hear the opinions of the Dutch over in France too; I think the French like to moan about them more than the English. It strikes me as a sort of love/hate affair.
13 years is a long time to be homesick! I'm hoping I won't suffer when in France, but at least I know I won't be on the otherside of the world when wanting to visit friends and family. Thanks for the goodluck wishes.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:00 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

No offence taken whatsoever! Funny to hear the opinions of the Dutch over in France too; I think the French like to moan about them more than the English. It strikes me as a sort of love/hate affair.
13 years is a long time to be homesick! I'm hoping I won't suffer when in France, but at least I know I won't be on the otherside of the world when wanting to visit friends and family. Thanks for the goodluck wishes.
In Holland the 'Paddy Irish/English/Scotsman' jokes are 'Belgian/French/German' - same joke, different accent No, I'm not homesick in the true sense of the word although I was for a long time, it's more that if I think of 'home' that's where I think of rather than where my family are - oh that sounds awful doesn't it?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:08 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

We bought life membership of English Heritage about 6 months before we left the UK so the boys could do the castle and knight stuff big time - another £900 donation I suppose..........
answer is "yes" BTW!!!!!1111111
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:42 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

YES!!!

We're taking the kids to Paris at the end of the year so we can all immerse ourselves in a bit of good old fashioned heritage, then onto London and Stratford on Avon a little while later for more of the same.

I love Paris and really looking forward to discovering it again, oh....and the shops and markets too .
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Batty View Post
In Holland the 'Paddy Irish/English/Scotsman' jokes are 'Belgian/French/German' - same joke, different accent No, I'm not homesick in the true sense of the word although I was for a long time, it's more that if I think of 'home' that's where I think of rather than where my family are - oh that sounds awful doesn't it?
hehe. Sounds like small pangs of homesickness to me. It was my kiwi friend's first time overseas, and nearing the end of her 4 weeks away she was getting seriously homesick for NZ.

Originally Posted by lardyl View Post
We bought life membership of English Heritage about 6 months before we left the UK so the boys could do the castle and knight stuff big time - another £900 donation I suppose..........
answer is "yes" BTW!!!!!1111111
Ouch, life membership! Can you pass it on to a family member in the UK?

Originally Posted by Nerine View Post
YES!!!

We're taking the kids to Paris at the end of the year so we can all immerse ourselves in a bit of good old fashioned heritage, then onto London and Stratford on Avon a little while later for more of the same.

I love Paris and really looking forward to discovering it again, oh....and the shops and markets too .
I'm moving to Paris - I'll probably end up sick of it! My girlfriend's a Parisian, and I can't see her letting me take her away from hustle and bustle of an ancient city, although she is contemplating starting up a B&B in the Pyrenees in a few years time. I'm hoping we can take a holiday to New Zealand next year.
I was in Stratford Upon Avon yesterday. It's a bit of a mess at the moment, as they're rebuilding the Royal Shakespeare Company theatre building by the looks of things. Dirt, scaffolding and barriers all over the parkland down by the river Avon.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:09 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope they're finished by Christmas! We're just waiting for the Romeo and Juliet tickets to be released so we can book before the good seats go.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.