Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long have you been here in NZ?

How long have you been here in NZ?

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:06 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long have you been here in NZ?

Originally Posted by love30stm
Husband had a interview for a job in Tauranga, fingers crossed
Ooooo, yes indeedy ...
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:03 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
But that's usually as far as it goes, those false plastic smiles at passing strangers on the beach walk.
What's false about smiling at folk as you wander along? I smile at people all the time
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellie73
Trying to mingle and even have a lovely 1 year old to help me out so we go along to the library and play and dance at wriggle and rhyme, we go to a baby gym and local church music class. So far we have met some amazing ex pats through the website but no kiwi mums. I even walked from near Okahu bay to St Heliers and back 14km and said hello to the other stroller pushers how many said hello back - big fat zero. Its not for trying but I am getting the impression that the kiwi mums I have met are a bit rude and into their own stuff. I did meet a lovely chinese lady that was swimming at kohi beach. But I havent tried since as I am sick of the stoney faces. Maybe its the area.
Could be the area, we loved staying down in St Heliers when we first got here but to be honest it seems to be full of pretentious tossers in 3 categories:

1. Bored middle aged women (with rich husbands) keeping fit
2. Rude pensioners keeping fit
3. Men with sports cars and personalised reg plates
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:48 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Could be the area, we loved staying down in St Heliers when we first got here but to be honest it seems to be full of pretentious tossers in 3 categories:

Sounds just my kind of place hehe
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:08 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How long have you been here in NZ?

personalised reg plates
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:33 pm
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

I am begining to agree with you, on our visits to NZ I fell in love with the whole by the sea side thing. But to be honest its a bit over rated here. I think there must be nicer places where you dont have to queue to get on the swings, although I am british and I do love a good queue. I have indeed seen these bored middle aged women, rude pensioners and men with sports cars drinking imported beer and eating expensive ice cream. Maybe I have rich husband or personalised reg plate envy. Maybe not.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice
Wink Re: How long have you been here in NZ?

Bored middle aged women?

I'm on my way
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:03 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SparkyGaz
Bored middle aged women?

I'm on my way
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SparkyGaz
Bored middle aged women?

I'm on my way
New Zealand... where men are men, and so are the women!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hellie73
I am begining to agree with you, on our visits to NZ I fell in love with the whole by the sea side thing. But to be honest its a bit over rated here. I think there must be nicer places where you dont have to queue to get on the swings, although I am british and I do love a good queue. I have indeed seen these bored middle aged women, rude pensioners and men with sports cars drinking imported beer and eating expensive ice cream. Maybe I have rich husband or personalised reg plate envy. Maybe not.
Hi have to mention this being british we have the common curtesy to wait our turn in a queue it really ******* annoys me when i stand in a queue at the supermarket and someone decides to open up another check out and the kiwis behind just stroll on up. I have on numerous occasions said excuse me but am i invisible, think i was in front of you they look at you as if your the stupid one. Oh and dont get me started on the kiwi road user they have no consideration i never had road rage or supermarket rage till i moved here.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Snazishaz
Hi have to mention this being british we have the common curtesy to wait our turn in a queue it really ******* annoys me when i stand in a queue at the supermarket and someone decides to open up another check out and the kiwis behind just stroll on up. I have on numerous occasions said excuse me but am i invisible, think i was in front of you they look at you as if your the stupid one. Oh and dont get me started on the kiwi road user they have no consideration i never had road rage or supermarket rage till i moved here.

Oh and to answer the question posted

Been in NZ 2yrs, thought i would be here forever, i really miss home (scotland) family and friends, went back in March and realised why i left in first place, but still miss that feeling of belonging. Have 18,21,23 yr old children and a granchild on the way there. Feel im being resented for leaving. Think i would go back in a heart beat, but would have to give up on my marrage as hubby has made it clear he wont go back. Children versus hubby, difficult making the choice. Going to try Auz for a couple of years and hubby going with me (i think) although reluctant. So over it here now, have a few good friends but funnily enough all British or south African. Kiwi friends are mostly work collegues. On that note nothing in my life has changed from UK accept my house is bigger and better. oh and i cant afford the luxury of a nice new car, which i had in the uk every 3yrs. I still do the same shit, work, cook, clean, grocery shop. Days off a joke, hubby works and im stuck at home Gives me to much time to think. Back home on days off i would go and see my kids go out for lunch go shopping, go for a pint etc. or just visit other family and friends. I do get lonley and lets face it since christchurch is MUNTED leaving wont be that difficult and if i dont like auz am going back to scotland.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by love30stm
Husband had a interview for a job in Tauranga, fingers crossed
Change is as good as a rest.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

maisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nice

Been here nearly three years. I was happy when we first got here as it was all new and exciting. Then things settled down and I felt really quite depressed and isolated for about a year. I like it now and feel settled but I think it does take a while for most people to actually feel happy with the day to day life here. It takes a while to make friends and get into it.