Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long have you been here in NZ?

How long have you been here in NZ?

Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long have you been here in NZ?

A little over 3 years now for me, & I guess it's fair to say that I'm settled here. My life here isn't perfect, but for now at least, the positives outweigh the negatives. There are a couple of things that I need to change in order to make me happier with my life here, but I'm actively looking to make those changes. And, my life in the UK wasn't perfect either, I know that on cold, wet, windy days when things just aren't going my way I can be inclined to romanticize our life in the UK, but I had off days there as well . Not forgetting that time hasn't stood still over there in the time I've been away.
Life's good overall, and I feel pretty lucky that I can truly consider myself as having some brilliant family & friends on both sides of the world, along with the ability to live and work in either country. How cool is that
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

8 years.

As for a feeling of belonging, I belong no more of less here than I did in the UK, Ireland, U.S. etc. Thomas Paine put it nicely when he said "My country is the world, all men are my brethren and my religion is to do good."
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Charismatic
8 years.

"My country is the world, all men are my brethren ....."
I like that .
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:24 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

4 and a half years, been through some personal relationship strife, but it felt like home from the off. Been back to the UK once last year, for 3 days! Wasn't bothered about it, but my Dad wanted me to. Don't miss the UK, but that's just me.

I am very happy where I am, and have been since I got here, despite all the personal shite ...
Old Jul 30th 2011, 8:21 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamct
I also made a mistake in where I fist came to live (a mistake for me as I know others love it here) so Im off to try somewhere else and see if I feel like I 'fit in' better there.
Rotorua is where we want to move to - do you mind saying why it's been a mistake for you? You can PM me if you'd rather. Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2011, 9:15 pm
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

Been here in Hawkes Bay for 47 yrs,this is definitely home.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:11 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

Thank you for the advice you are right "regret what you do and not what you dont do" I use to use those exact words but I think they just got lost somewhere along the way. As for bouncing straight back to the UK I think I would in a heart beat but I guess there is another saying that applies to me "act in haste repent at leisure" so I will try and turn my half empty glass of tui into a jolly full jug of the stuff never tried it but I think I should stop mooning over double deckers and yorkshire tea in the international aisle for a couple of weeks and try something local for a change. I am glad that some of you have found your home here and glad for the rest of you that you have/are living your dream.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:37 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How long have you been here in NZ?

Originally Posted by kaihoe
Been here in Hawkes Bay for 47 yrs,this is definitely home.
Don't like newcomers round those parts .

Good area though, love the Hawkes Bay.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Don't like newcomers round those parts .

Good area though, love the Hawkes Bay.
'love a great sense of humour' xxx
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice
Cool Re: How long have you been here in NZ?

Originally Posted by Hellie73
Thank you for the advice you are right "regret what you do and not what you dont do" I use to use those exact words but I think they just got lost somewhere along the way. As for bouncing straight back to the UK I think I would in a heart beat but I guess there is another saying that applies to me "act in haste repent at leisure" so I will try and turn my half empty glass of tui into a jolly full jug of the stuff never tried it but I think I should stop mooning over double deckers and yorkshire tea in the international aisle for a couple of weeks and try something local for a change. I am glad that some of you have found your home here and glad for the rest of you that you have/are living your dream.
Why aint you settling......for me it's about gettin out and making new friends with whom you have something in common.....
The feeling of lonliness i can imagine would be massiv if you don't, so get out there and mingle !!!!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:45 pm
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

Trying to mingle and even have a lovely 1 year old to help me out so we go along to the library and play and dance at wriggle and rhyme, we go to a baby gym and local church music class. So far we have met some amazing ex pats through the website but no kiwi mums. I even walked from near Okahu bay to St Heliers and back 14km and said hello to the other stroller pushers how many said hello back - big fat zero. Its not for trying but I am getting the impression that the kiwi mums I have met are a bit rude and into their own stuff. I did meet a lovely chinese lady that was swimming at kohi beach. But I havent tried since as I am sick of the stoney faces. Maybe its the area.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice
Smile Re: How long have you been here in NZ?

Well we almost ended up in Whakatane, which I'm told is a very quiet town and quite hard to settle in an feel welcome, mainly because of a lack of like minded migrants. (Had to word that carefully).
Luckily we found work in Tauranga and everyone down the beach smiles and syas hi. (well almost everyone).
We walked the 3.4km base around mt maunganui on Sunday and had many a cheery hello.
I think you should consider moving areas, but research it well (frying pan / fire and all that).

If all else fails call us and we will chat to ya
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:20 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SparkyGaz
Well we almost ended up in Whakatane, which I'm told is a very quiet town and quite hard to settle in an feel welcome, mainly because of a lack of like minded migrants. (Had to word that carefully).
Luckily we found work in Tauranga and everyone down the beach smiles and syas hi. (well almost everyone).
We walked the 3.4km base around mt maunganui on Sunday and had many a cheery hello.
I think you should consider moving areas, but research it well (frying pan / fire and all that).

If all else fails call us and we will chat to ya
Husband had a interview for a job in Tauranga, fingers crossed
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SparkyGaz
But that's usually as far as it goes, those false plastic smiles at passing strangers on the beach walk.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by love30stm
Husband had a interview for a job in Tauranga, fingers crossed
We came here on hol 2 years ago, visited a lot of the north island and found Tauranga to be just right.
We get the best of the weather, not too busy, not too quiet (although we haven't seen a busy summer yet) and miles and miles of be-ay-yoo-tiful beaches.

My idea of heaven.
Love it love it love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.