Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How do I read the canning date on cans and tins please ?

How do I read the canning date on cans and tins please ?

Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Exclamation How do I read the canning date on cans and tins please ?

How do I read the canning date on tins of foodstuff please?

I'm trying to clear out and update.

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:36 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I read the canning date on cans and tins please ?

errr should be stamped either on top or bottom?

have you a photo?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:35 am
`

Nopes. No date stamps. Just indecipherable letters and numbers.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:18 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How do I read the canning date on cans and tins please ?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Nopes. No date stamps. Just indecipherable letters and numbers.
The code is the expiry date but there is no standardized labeling system. Look up the manufacturers code.

With canned food if it looks/smells right it is right, it's packaged industrially sterile so there is no biological degradation or exotoxin nastyness. It's just chemistry which happens at a very, very slow rate. Even that can of beans your grandfather had left over since the Korean war is OK as long as the can is OK.

If you are still unsure save it until you have guests and let them eat first .
Old Jul 28th 2013, 3:27 am
`

Fank you Charismatic.

In the end I thought 'sod it' and stuffed 'em back in the cupboard. Decided that Mr BEVS has a cast iron stomach.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Fank you Charismatic.

In the end I thought 'sod it' and stuffed 'em back in the cupboard. Decided that Mr BEVS has a cast iron stomach.
If you have an example I can decipher some - set up far too many code date machines

The BBE should be a clear recognizable date, that usually relates to either a specific day, or week, of manufacture. Are NZ cans different?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How do I read the canning date on cans and tins please ?

Fank you Charismatic.
Well cum BIVS.

You don't have to stay in the closet about being a "prepper" BEVS .

It's ironic that in the mid-western United States people are stockpiling supplies for an imaginary catastrophe that will never befall them but here in New Zealand we can't be bothered to prepare for a geological event that's inevitable at some point.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:16 pm
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Well cum BIVS.

You don't have to stay in the closet about being a "prepper" BEVS .
I am indeed a "prepper" although these particular tins were languishing in the dark recesses of a kitchen cupboard. I'm checking the quake kit store today as it gets a bit higgledy over a period of time.

It's ironic that in the mid-western United States people are stockpiling supplies for an imaginary catastrophe that will never befall them but here in New Zealand we can't be bothered to prepare for a geological event that's inevitable at some point.
Interesting thought and true . I have found there seems to be some reticence, almost embarrassment here about the thought of having a comprehensive kit ready and to hand.

Good topic for another thread.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 29th 2013 at 3:49 am. Reason: quotes
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:45 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I am indeed a "prepper" ....

I have found there seems to be some reticence, almost embarrassment here about the thought of having a comprehensive kit ready and to hand.
You're in excellent company.

You can thank rubbish like "Doomsday Preppers" for the "whacko" label assigned to anyone with enough sense to come in out of the rain - people who look after themselves and theirs, rather than expecting "de gubbermint" to do it all for them in the event of an emergency. Look at Hurricane Sally - the only ones who were able to take care of their neighbours in the aftermath were "Preppers". FEMA was totally swamped at the start of that. Any local FEMA staff were looking after their OWN families, and too right!

Last edited by downunderpom; Jul 29th 2013 at 3:47 am. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:56 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

My first (miserable) job in New Zealand, was selling the equipment that put the best before date on to can and milk bottles.

There are a number of ways of representing the canning date. They can use the day of the year, for example 253 (out of 365), week and day (52+7), often they will have a line number L3 or just to confuse everyone a batch number, which only makes sense to the manufacturer.