Reload this Page >

House selling?? or not!!??

House selling?? or not!!??

Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

traciridgwell will become famous soon enough
Default Re: House selling?? or not!!??

Originally Posted by pp15doodoo
Rented it out today!! Auckland here we come!!

And good luck to anyone in a similar position that we were in.
Many congrats - enjoy Auckland and look out for the rest of us who'll be joining you in a few years time!!!!! (if we can ever sell!)
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:15 pm
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice

Well we are still having a nightmare selling our house....

Went on the market 1st Feb 2007 at 163,950... and we got a full asking price offer within 2 weeks.... she pulled out as the Chi was all wrong... (Well, it is a Victorian 3 bed, mid terrace. Not too many of them around, I’m sure!) not to worry we though back on the market and the next week another full asking price and nothing to sell but 6 weeks in and she still hadn’t committed to exchange… so we chased and she had only just realised she hadn’t got enough money for a deposit….

So two down and it was only July so we weren’t getting too worried, back on the market and a week later another offer this time for 155,000 but he was a cash buyer and we tied him down to a 4 week exchange… he had the survey done a week later and the tiniest of things came back remember it’s a Victorian terrace built in 1890 and the major thing it said was decoration on the out side and he pulled out as he wanted a newer house.

Ok by now we were use to this so we went back on the market still with the same agents as they were doing a very good job just so happened that people in Cornwall we starting to wind us up a bit!!! And that’s right probably about another week later we had another offer cant remember how much but was around 158,000 we accepted and this time the woman was sitting in the living room and new the story about the others pulling out, she couldn’t believe it and said she would never do that to anyone…. But cutting a long story short on this one she did after about 4 weeks as she wanted to stay and rent her own house out… the worse thing was that she worked for the NHS and if I could have got away with it she would have been getting some nasty internal emails!!

Now how many am I up too…number 5 now…at this point we actually moved agents as we had spent the summer painting the outside of the house and though although very happy with the old agents a new start would probably help, and within a few weeks they had go us a buyer and for 160,000 this time, now this must have been about October last year so we went through the motions yet again… but this time it was the new agents that fully messed up this time…. She had the survey done and wasn’t happy that it said the standard line “the roof may need attention in the next 5-10 years” but they didn’t tell us this until 2 days later when she wanted 10k off which after thinking we were happy to do but by then it was too late…. So we sacked them and moved to agent’s number 3…..

While on the market with agent number 3 we received a call from the 2nd agents saying they had someone they had shown around and they wanted to see it again and under the contract we still had too…. That was in January this year… and we took an offer of 150,000 as this was just when Northan Rock was kicking off…. Now as I cant be bothered to go into all the detail with this one it happened like this over the next 5 months….. They had a buyer, they lost their buyer they started doing a buy to let on theirs to buy ours, and they then got another buyer…. Oh which they then lost, then they finally went down the buy to let again… a week before we were due to exchange we moved out as they wanted to move in a week we couldn’t so off to the In-Laws it was…. Now who wants the prize for guessing what happened next?????? Yep they had their mortgage pulled as they were with Northan Rock…

So we were with the In-laws the house is empty and we have sold all our furniture…. And the stupid 2nd agents had made all the mess of the last one… the best thing is they have now gone bust and the shop is now up for rent HA HA HA!!

So 6 down and our new agents get us a buyer within a week and for 150,000 some time in May…. But 2 weeks down the line we wonder why the survey hasn’t been done and we find out he can’t get a mortgage…..

So now it’s August and we have been on the market for 19 months and had 7 sales fall through, starting price 162,950 now on the market for 149,950…. Any comments or suggestions welcome….
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Smelly Cat
…. Any comments or suggestions welcome….
None to offer but I'm bunging you some karma.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Bl@@dy hell, I thought mine was bad with 3 fall throughs. I do still have my last buyer but she has got to sell her flat which she originally was going to get buy to let on just for the deposit. So fingers crossed that she'll come through soon, as my wife and children have been in NZ now for nigh on a year.

Good luck to one and all....because that's what we need.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Well we are still having a nightmare selling our house....

Went on the market 1st Feb 2007 at 163,950... and we got a full asking price offer within 2 weeks.... she pulled out as the Chi was all wrong... (Well, it is a Victorian 3 bed, mid terrace. Not too many of them around, I’m sure!) not to worry we though back on the market and the next week another full asking price and nothing to sell but 6 weeks in and she still hadn’t committed to exchange… so we chased and she had only just realised she hadn’t got enough money for a deposit….

So two down and it was only July so we weren’t getting too worried, back on the market and a week later another offer this time for 155,000 but he was a cash buyer and we tied him down to a 4 week exchange… he had the survey done a week later and the tiniest of things came back remember it’s a Victorian terrace built in 1890 and the major thing it said was decoration on the out side and he pulled out as he wanted a newer house.

Ok by now we were use to this so we went back on the market still with the same agents as they were doing a very good job just so happened that people in Cornwall we starting to wind us up a bit!!! And that’s right probably about another week later we had another offer cant remember how much but was around 158,000 we accepted and this time the woman was sitting in the living room and new the story about the others pulling out, she couldn’t believe it and said she would never do that to anyone…. But cutting a long story short on this one she did after about 4 weeks as she wanted to stay and rent her own house out… the worse thing was that she worked for the NHS and if I could have got away with it she would have been getting some nasty internal emails!!

Now how many am I up too…number 5 now…at this point we actually moved agents as we had spent the summer painting the outside of the house and though although very happy with the old agents a new start would probably help, and within a few weeks they had go us a buyer and for 160,000 this time, now this must have been about October last year so we went through the motions yet again… but this time it was the new agents that fully messed up this time…. She had the survey done and wasn’t happy that it said the standard line “the roof may need attention in the next 5-10 years” but they didn’t tell us this until 2 days later when she wanted 10k off which after thinking we were happy to do but by then it was too late…. So we sacked them and moved to agent’s number 3…..

While on the market with agent number 3 we received a call from the 2nd agents saying they had someone they had shown around and they wanted to see it again and under the contract we still had too…. That was in January this year… and we took an offer of 150,000 as this was just when Northan Rock was kicking off…. Now as I cant be bothered to go into all the detail with this one it happened like this over the next 5 months….. They had a buyer, they lost their buyer they started doing a buy to let on theirs to buy ours, and they then got another buyer…. Oh which they then lost, then they finally went down the buy to let again… a week before we were due to exchange we moved out as they wanted to move in a week we couldn’t so off to the In-Laws it was…. Now who wants the prize for guessing what happened next?????? Yep they had their mortgage pulled as they were with Northan Rock…

So we were with the In-laws the house is empty and we have sold all our furniture…. And the stupid 2nd agents had made all the mess of the last one… the best thing is they have now gone bust and the shop is now up for rent HA HA HA!!

So 6 down and our new agents get us a buyer within a week and for 150,000 some time in May…. But 2 weeks down the line we wonder why the survey hasn’t been done and we find out he can’t get a mortgage…..

So now it’s August and we have been on the market for 19 months and had 7 sales fall through, starting price 162,950 now on the market for 149,950…. Any comments or suggestions welcome….
OMG!! and I thought WE were unlucky! Will you consider renting - can't believe you've got so far with everything - medicals and police checks etc and you still haven't sold! I am going to sell first and then go through the motions - would rather rent (if this ever sells) until we go!! I wish you every success and luck with selling. Enjoy New Zealand when you get there..... hopefully we'll catch up with you when we get there too!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Can you make sure that only proceedable buyers come and look at the house? We got to the point that unless someone had sold their house or were chain free and had their finances checked by the agents we weren't interested. Some agents do financial checking before they will let any offer go forward.

You don't seem to have any problems attracting buyers, just holding onto them! I would say that if I was you as soon as another offer comes in, explain that you will be keeping it on the market until a survey has been carried out to the buyers satisfaction. Call the estate agent and solicitor every day to find out what is going on, and what progress has been made, even if you think you are being a pain, they will want to get rid of you and your house from their books!!!!!

Can you reduce the price anymore? It might make it more attractive to buyers in the next price bracket down. If not then forget it but you don't want to chase the market down at this stage. Much less painful to cut your losses now and go.

Set a short date between exchange and completion, I am sure that your solicitor is familiar with your property now so make sure that you have all information, anything that a buyer might want ready so all you are waiting for is them to get their searches done etc.

Apart from that all the best. We went on the market at the same time as you last year, had a sale fall through just before Xmas but cut our price significantly and sold in June. It is the most stressful thing I have ever been through and I really feel for you still to be going through it!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:41 am
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice

Hi everyone
thanks for your kind words and its nice to know that we are not the only ones.. although its never nice to know others are as stressed as us..

I think we have tried everything.. we have significantly slashed our price now, and from day one have only had buyers ready to go view the house... and believe me.... our agents and solicitors want rid of us... we have truly mastered the art of being annoying lol.

Unfortunately rental is not an option for us.. we bought when prices were at their highest and the rental income from the property just wouldnt cover the mortgage..

We just need to keep positive and i truly wish anyone else in our situation doesnt stay there long

Ta

fi
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Thought I was probably stating the obvious! Honestly I can't think of anything else to advise. Surely you must be due a decent buyer soon after all this.

All the best with it!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone
thanks for your kind words and its nice to know that we are not the only ones.. although its never nice to know others are as stressed as us..

I think we have tried everything.. we have significantly slashed our price now, and from day one have only had buyers ready to go view the house... and believe me.... our agents and solicitors want rid of us... we have truly mastered the art of being annoying lol.

Unfortunately rental is not an option for us.. we bought when prices were at their highest and the rental income from the property just wouldnt cover the mortgage..

We just need to keep positive and i truly wish anyone else in our situation doesnt stay there long

Ta

fi
We've just been to the bank to sort out our mortgage which comes to an end in September. There is no way we can rent out - we just wouldn't cover the mortgage unless we extended the term to back over 35 years - are they real or what?? - I'll be 75 years old by then............and long retired, I hope!!
Is this nightmare ever going to end - why is it so hard to sell a lovely house??!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I'm so sorry it's still not coming to anything... I can't believe what's happened to the UK market.

T x
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:22 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by piersdad
House prices in NZ start at nz$180,000 for a wooden 80 year old villa.

10,000 pounds or nz$30,000 would get a deposit.

interest rates are around 8% + _ so unless you have a good job lined up and secure then please think again.

however i am in christchurch and the last time i saw an ant was 3 years ago and all the other annoying insects never seem to appear.
when it rains it is like a scotch mist ( well some times it actually rains for aday or so)
snows once every 2 years (about 1 inch) and every 10 years a real 4 inches
its mid winter here now and always cloudy and 10 to 16 degrees C this week.

house prices are dropping here as well but not so much in auckland
so a drop at home will counter with a drop here

so good luck with your sale.
Im in the North Island, we have lots of annoying small ants, flys and other insects, but then again it is hotter on this side and no snow
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Had a thought, Traci - how about going interest only for the next couple of years... would that free up some cash so that you can afford to drop the house price at all?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:50 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Ta

fi
Omg...cant believe al the hassle you have had, hope it goes well for you..the system of house buying in the UK sucks big time!!!

our house in NZ took 3 weeks till we put a offer in had it accepted then moved in...hope that is you soon xxxxxx