Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hours of daylight?

Hours of daylight?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice
Default Hours of daylight?

As I dislike the winter because of the early dark nights I was wondering whether the hours of daylight are the same in NZ as here in Wales?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hours of daylight?

Here in Auckland it gets dark in the winter around 5pm. Non of the gloomy, dark days and dark at 3.30 malarky. I swear I used to get SAD in the UK winter, but not any more
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

Try living in Dunedin. You'll get SAD alright. Dark here quite early and already getting frosts in the morning
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
As I dislike the winter because of the early dark nights I was wondering whether the hours of daylight are the same in NZ as here in Wales?
Over the whole year, hours of daylight will be the same.
But NZ is closer to the equator so summer days will be shorter and winter days longer.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:47 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishheaven
Try living in Dunedin. You'll get SAD alright. Dark here quite early and already getting frosts in the morning
If I recall correctly, the earliest it gets dark in Dunedin is around 5.20 mid winter.
Its hard to get SAD from frosty weather, as frosts are always followed by lovely clear blue days.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Some people could get SAD anywhere. Some people live to complain
Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:36 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Easy on! Most people at some time have a bit of a downer about a new place, and it probably is better for their sanity to have a bit of a moan rather than bottle it up.

Anyway, we had 27 degrees here yesterday and 24 today, so that ought to put a bit of a spring in somebody's step. I can't imagine getting those temps in late October in England.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

I moved here to improve my SAD and it has certainly helped. There are other things apart from the light - separating Christmas from darkness helps, as well as the psychological end of the year.

Don't forget NZ is very long and thin. You ought to move somewhere in the North Island if you are looking to increase your daylight.

Alison
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice

Many thanks for all your positive replies!