British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hours of daylight? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hours-daylight-604747/)

Jo_Paul87 Apr 21st 2009 9:01 pm

Hours of daylight?

As I dislike the winter because of the early dark nights I was wondering whether the hours of daylight are the same in NZ as here in Wales?

CCGM.IN.NZ Apr 21st 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Hours of daylight?

Here in Auckland it gets dark in the winter around 5pm. Non of the gloomy, dark days and dark at 3.30 malarky. I swear I used to get SAD in the UK winter, but not any more :thumbup:

englishheaven Apr 22nd 2009 3:08 am

Try living in Dunedin. You'll get SAD alright. Dark here quite early and already getting frosts in the morning :(

JAJ Apr 22nd 2009 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87 (Post 7501172)
As I dislike the winter because of the early dark nights I was wondering whether the hours of daylight are the same in NZ as here in Wales?

Over the whole year, hours of daylight will be the same.
But NZ is closer to the equator so summer days will be shorter and winter days longer.

southerner Apr 25th 2009 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by englishheaven (Post 7501837)
Try living in Dunedin. You'll get SAD alright. Dark here quite early and already getting frosts in the morning :(

If I recall correctly, the earliest it gets dark in Dunedin is around 5.20 mid winter.
Its hard to get SAD from frosty weather, as frosts are always followed by lovely clear blue days.:D

lapsed kiwi Apr 25th 2009 9:54 pm

Some people could get SAD anywhere. Some people live to complain

janek Apr 26th 2009 6:54 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 7514271)

:thumbup:

southerner Apr 27th 2009 4:36 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 7514271)

Easy on! Most people at some time have a bit of a downer about a new place, and it probably is better for their sanity to have a bit of a moan rather than bottle it up.

Anyway, we had 27 degrees here yesterday and 24 today, so that ought to put a bit of a spring in somebody's step:D. I can't imagine getting those temps in late October in England.

littleal Apr 27th 2009 6:46 am

I moved here to improve my SAD and it has certainly helped. There are other things apart from the light - separating Christmas from darkness helps, as well as the psychological end of the year.

Don't forget NZ is very long and thin. You ought to move somewhere in the North Island if you are looking to increase your daylight.

Alison

Jo_Paul87 Apr 27th 2009 8:52 pm

Many thanks for all your positive replies!