Hostels

Old Jun 17th 2006, 8:22 am
Just Joined

RodandEm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hostels

Hi,

Hope everyone weekend is going well.

We are planning on going out to NZ for a taster in October, either with a view to stay or some back and re-evaluate.

Are there any hostel websites people could recommend as we would like to do some of it as cheaply as possibly to extend our stay.

Also, does anyone have any experience of this way of doing things please ?

Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2006, 8:48 pm
fingers crossed

heading south is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hostels

Originally Posted by RodandEm
Hi,

Hope everyone weekend is going well.

We are planning on going out to NZ for a taster in October, either with a view to stay or some back and re-evaluate.

Are there any hostel websites people could recommend as we would like to do some of it as cheaply as possibly to extend our stay.

Also, does anyone have any experience of this way of doing things please ?

Thanks
Rod

We spent the millennium New Year in Auckland, and stayed at the Auckland Central Backpackers, which is right in the middle of the city, for a week. Try www.hostels.com and the ACB should be at: http://www.hostels.com/en/availabili...stelNumber.950.

I headed back to work in the US and my OH stayed on for six weeks or so, staying at various hostels around both islands. If you want to do it on the cheap, you're best off in dorm rooms. If you are part of a couple and prefer not to share with others the cost of double rooms at hostels are usually not too far off the price of a room at 'decent-ish' hotel. October is a little ahead of high season and so there may be deals to be done at hotels that want your custom - this worked well for us on an out of season three-week holiday in Australia. If your trip takes you to any of the following places, my OH can tell you were she stayed and what it was like: Taupo, Tongariro, Wellington, Picton, Nelson, Kaikoura, Graymouth, Fox Glacier, Queenstown, Dunedin and Christchurch. If you haven't already got a guide book, I'd recommend Lonely Planet.

Let me know if you want anymore information.

Heading South (though not as far as NZ)
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:25 am
Just Joined

RodandEm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hostels

Originally Posted by heading south
Rod

We spent the millennium New Year in Auckland, and stayed at the Auckland Central Backpackers, which is right in the middle of the city, for a week. Try www.hostels.com and the ACB should be at: http://www.hostels.com/en/availabili...stelNumber.950.

I headed back to work in the US and my OH stayed on for six weeks or so, staying at various hostels around both islands. If you want to do it on the cheap, you're best off in dorm rooms. If you are part of a couple and prefer not to share with others the cost of double rooms at hostels are usually not too far off the price of a room at 'decent-ish' hotel. October is a little ahead of high season and so there may be deals to be done at hotels that want your custom - this worked well for us on an out of season three-week holiday in Australia. If your trip takes you to any of the following places, my OH can tell you were she stayed and what it was like: Taupo, Tongariro, Wellington, Picton, Nelson, Kaikoura, Graymouth, Fox Glacier, Queenstown, Dunedin and Christchurch. If you haven't already got a guide book, I'd recommend Lonely Planet.

Let me know if you want anymore information.

Heading South (though not as far as NZ)
Thanks for your reply.

We aren't 100% sure where we will be visiting yet as we need to shorten the "short list" ! But I will let you know if any of those places are on it, I think Taupo and Wellington will be.