Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there?

Wikiposts

hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS
Actually. If you do have that , then it is something a wee bit special to be honest.

Would you consider sharing this on the open forum here or perhaps doing this via a BE article please?

I could do mine from way back when but it would be full of waah's and eergh's and aarrggh's...apart from I do remember rolling in the dust of a gutter trying to get a damp proof report.
ROUGH GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD!
This may help someone but all may not apply as we came out on a buiseness visa.

12 mths

1) passports-update
2))Check u hav all original birth/marriage-certificates
3)apply for visas & go for medicals
4)put house on the market
5)pay off all debts owing-stop any spam mail u can
6)look into car transfer
7)confirm school place
8)do 1st bootsale-sell unwanted larger items-book your 2nd if necessey.
9)get police checks done

6months

1)quote from shipping companies
2)check out flight prices
3)sort out dogs journey/flight/prep
4)BIG de-clutter
5)open an NZ bank account
6)get hand-over files from vets(not necessary from drs or dentist we discovered)
7)register with school after receipt of visa

2 months & counting

1)book rental accomodation in NZ
2)register with school
3)list of friends details, keeping in touch with
4)Begin saying goodbye to family & friends
5) inform agencies re: premium bonds,child benefit etc
6) close any accounts not needed
7)once learnt of date for haulage book a skip

1 month to go eek!

1) inform the foloowing;
-tax office
-DVLA
-bank
-internet
-tv liscence
-gas- let know of situation
-electric- ditto
-BT get date it goes off
-inform school new & old in writing
-begin packing non essential items
-get any extra stuff needed from shops and drs prescriptions etc
2) transfer monies to NZ account
3)clean house
4)sort out car/house insurance
5)pack goods to be shipped
6)buy some currency

last 2 weeks

1) finalise home sale
2) final goodbyes
3) buy anything needed
4)final clear out of draws & house rubbish
5)goodbye to family
6)final clean
7)re-direct mail to new address
8))last wash
9)pack n'go

good luck-just to add my husband is very methodical and was used to such paperwork(we had a lot) i would also add a few weeks onto the date the haulage people give you as they seem to exaggerate how quick so u go with them!... & go as local as you can

Hope this proves to be more of a help than a hinderance...get lots of vino in Tray
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there

We used PSS and would recommend them.

As many comments above, Yes....do bring everything. Hard to replace, not just in cost, but in choice and quality. Also it is nice to be surrounded by your comfortable familiar things. Your whole life and surrouindings are going to be different so it's nice to have some of your own things to make it feel like home.

Another point that we enjoyed, is when your things follow you over and it's like Christmas opening up all the boxes. My kids loved getting their toys again.
PSS thought we were mad to bring over a huge box filled with teddy bears but my daughter would not, definately not, leave any of them behind.

Just a thought... there is always mixed advice about bringing televisions.The one we brought could only be used for the playstation, but I think you can alter that somehow? You may want to clarify that one with others.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there

Do the visa yourself, not too bad, just lots of form filling.

We didn't bring any furniture as we didn't have any good stuff in the UK, but after realising the standard of some of the stuff over here we wished we had brought everything! We made the mistake of buying "cheaper" furniture when we arrived and everything is basically falling apart already. Some of the build quality of stuff is shocking so we are now living by the moto "buy cheap, buy twice".

Same with clothes I'd say, stock up before you come.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:09 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RobDon
Absolutely agree with everyone!
Bring everything! and ditto the above!!
can I bring Heinz baked beans - they are soo expensive in NZ?