Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there?

hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there?

Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

NZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really nice
Default hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there?

Hiya we are a family of 4 (2 children 16 & 11 my husband and myself) seriously considering a move to NZ. We will be going on a skilled migrant Visa as I am a midwife, we have already had an initial assessment, got enough points to apply just a bit overwhelmed with the enormity of it all so any tips or reassurance from others who have done it or are doing it would be greatly welcomed!!!! For example; Is it worth going with a migration agency or is it doable without the added expense of this? Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there or ship it over??
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ

its very do able without an agency! total rip off from what we've seen. theres lots of form filling in to do, but theyre self explanatory...and if you get stuck on anything- just ask on here. theyre the REAL experts!

as for shipping your stuff..take it with you if its decent. furniture and white goods are quite expensive over here, and some good quality furniture is hard to come by...like garden tables/chairs etc...
we brought all our stuff except washer (on its last legs) and fridge freezerand cooker (were built in). (some dryers may not be compatible in NZ tho- do a search on here , theres lots of info for that)

also you may not need standing wardrobes. all houses here seem to have fitted wardrobes in all bedrooms. leaving ours behind, freed up a good bit of space in the container as theyre so bulky...and we havent needed them at all.
we fitted it all our house in a 20ft container. door to door service was approx £2,800 + insurance (insurance usually much less if bought independantly from your packers)

will you be renting or buying? most rentals also include dishwasher and cooker too.

lots of things to weigh up!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZdreamz
Hiya we are a family of 4 (2 children 16 & 11 my husband and myself) seriously considering a move to NZ. We will be going on a skilled migrant Visa as I am a midwife, we have already had an initial assessment, got enough points to apply just a bit overwhelmed with the enormity of it all so any tips or reassurance from others who have done it or are doing it would be greatly welcomed!!!! For example; Is it worth going with a migration agency or is it doable without the added expense of this? Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there or ship it over??
No to the agents, yes to the furniture. Sweet as.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NZdreamz
Hi there fellow Lancastarian! I would third all the above advice, and if you'd like a detailed 12/6/2 month down to the last 2week account/guide of what to do & when, let me know & i'll pm it to you kept it for the memory Tray
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there

You dont need an agent, and bring EVERYTHING you have with you.
that crummy old sofa you've got will cost A LOT to replace when your here
and will seriously eat into any much needed money you will need to get set
up and settled in once you are here
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:27 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there

If you do buy over here, spend the extra few bob and avoid the discount superstores.
M<y suite I left in UK had done a good twelve years, just starting to fade and fray.
the one we got here from (ahem)...www.bigsave.co.nz is only three years old and I want it gone!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

I would leave your electrical goods behind. Although our fridge freezer has survived. Our TV lasted about a year and washing machine died in the first few months. The condensation in the ship did nothing for the circuit boards. We may have been unlucky.

If you do bring you washing machine remember to use the right washing powder .i.e. Top loader vs Front loader. We didn't and our front loader was swamped by bubbles and may have been the cause of our failing circiut boards. Although everything was pretty rusted when we looked at them.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
If you do buy over here, spend the extra few bob and avoid the discount superstores.
M<y suite I left in UK had done a good twelve years, just starting to fade and fray.
the one we got here from (ahem)...www.bigsave.co.nz is only three years old and I want it gone!
That website is a crime against furniture
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:10 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
I would leave your electrical goods behind. Although our fridge freezer has survived. Our TV lasted about a year and washing machine died in the first few months. The condensation in the ship did nothing for the circuit boards. We may have been unlucky.

If you do bring you washing machine remember to use the right washing powder .i.e. Top loader vs Front loader. We didn't and our front loader was swamped by bubbles and may have been the cause of our failing circiut boards. Although everything was pretty rusted when we looked at them.
We bought everything electrical. The only thing that died was the washing machine (as we expected) so we bought new here.

If it fits in the container, no matter what condition, bring it. If you don't use it, you'll be able to sell it on Trademe!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MattandJax
we fitted it all our house in a 20ft container. door to door service was approx £2,800 + insurance (insurance usually much less if bought independantly from your packers)
Can I please just ask who you used to ship your goods?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

At Down Under Live at the weekend, we were talking to one of the shipping exhibitors who told us that white goods are very expensive. If we can include them on the stuff shipped over.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

we took every thing last time we moved, this time because of cost, we are not taking white goods, 600 cu ft £2200, full container just under £4000
you can buy a five piece bed set for $2,000 most white goods are about the same
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:33 am
Just Joined

NZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really nice

Thanks everybody that's all very helpful, thanks for the pm Tray (ps we're in Lancashire not Lancaster, but hey they're not that far apart). Lukeandjo we were at down under live at the weekend too!! Iv also had opposing advice about bringing our TV's (we have a large flat screen HD LCD and 3 smaller ones) will they work over there? and what about if stuff gets damaged perhaps due to damp or condensation like Nero said, does the insurance cover that? I think we will rent initially then buy once we're sure of the area we want to live. Did anyone else have trouble with their children not really wanting to leave friends/family behind? My 11 year old son is super excited about going but my 16 year old daughter keeps saying she doesnt really want to go but has agreed to give it a year and come back to England when she's 18! (we dont plan on going until Dec 11/Jan 12) I hate that idea!!!! I am hoping she will realise when we get there just what NZ has to offer her as opposed to the UK these days. I am also dreading telling my mum bracing myself for the 'guilt trips'
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump
most white goods are about the same
Ooh I don't think so, white goods are jolly expensive in NZ, bring your pommy ones!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by concretepump
we took every thing last time we moved, this time because of cost, we are not taking white goods, 600 cu ft £2200, full container just under £4000
you can buy a five piece bed set for $2,000 most white goods are about the same
I hope you don't mind me asking, have u moved back to the UK now and are planning on going back to NZ? If so why did u move back and what's made you decide to give it another go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.