British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Homesick! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/homesick-439203/)

AnnieNell Apr 1st 2007 10:32 pm

Homesick!

Hi All,
Still using library for internet access:frown: & 10+ weeks in. The homesickness thing is really starting to kick in. I knew it would a some stage but I hate this feeling. I'm not working at the mo,which doesn't help. So I get very lonely & down at times. It doesn't help that we haven't got kids (not through choice:mad: ), as I think it's easier to meet people when you have. I know it's just a phase & it'll get better but v. hard whilst living it. I have volunteered to work at the library & waiting to hear.

Did get a laugh on the way here though, someone has altered the Big Manly Beach sign to Big Womanly Beach:lol: .

Hate to post such a "downer" as I try to be positive, but thought some shared experiences might help me through
love Annie

Batty Apr 1st 2007 11:05 pm

Re: Homesick!

Originally Posted by AnnieNell (Post 4590292)
Hi All,
Still using library for internet access:frown: & 10+ weeks in. The homesickness thing is really starting to kick in. I knew it would a some stage but I hate this feeling. I'm not working at the mo,which doesn't help. So I get very lonely & down at times. It doesn't help that we haven't got kids (not through choice:mad: ), as I think it's easier to meet people when you have. I know it's just a phase & it'll get better but v. hard whilst living it. I have volunteered to work at the library & waiting to hear.

Did get a laugh on the way here though, someone has altered the Big Manly Beach sign to Big Womanly Beach:lol: .

Hate to post such a "downer" as I try to be positive, but thought some shared experiences might help me through
love Annie

Aw, virtual hugs to you Annie. I was here nearly 18 months when it hit me and it's horrible I know. It's like getting the 'flu I think - your immune system is low so you catch the virus. You're a bit lonely anyway so the homesickness has somewhere to live. Only being busy and having fun will alleviate it, I believe. You're not too far away from Auckland, you're more than welcome to meet up with a couple of us from here who go for a drink together on the Shore - I'm sure they won't mind my saying that :) -

There will be loads of people on here who will be able to relate to how you're feeling and offer more avenues of help.

Mandie Apr 1st 2007 11:53 pm

Hi All,

love Annie

Oh Annie, really sorry to hear you're feeling low and homesick. Although i can't give you any words of wisdom or really be of much help as i've not gone through the move yet...but wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts and i hope the feeling soon passes.

Will you be looking for any midwifery vacancies out there? I'm sure getting busy may help, but can imagine it's hard when you're feeling down!

Lots of :wub: and hugs karma coming your way
take care

pixi-dust Apr 1st 2007 11:55 pm

Annie - again - :cake: the solver of all problems!
Sorry to hear you're feeling down in the dumps. I suppose we all get it to some extent. Mine comes rarely but when it does it's like getting hit by a truck ( mines always cos I miss my brother) and it does pass quickly.

Annie, we were the same - no kids and Mr PD started work really soon after we arrived and I was in the middle of nowhere! I just painted the house! that kept me busy.

And you will make friends, I'm sure. How about a dog?? You meet loads pf people when you're out walking and they're really good for cuddles :D ( I'm sort of joking but they are lovely)

karonious Apr 2nd 2007 12:07 am

Hi All,

love Annie

Sorry to hear you are feeling sad Annie. Would joining a gym be helpful? - once the endorphins start coursing through your body, it acts like a tonic (apparently) and you have the bonus of feeling better about yourself. Is there anyone in your area you could arrange a meet-up with? I'm afraid my geography is so lousy, I don't know where Gulf harbour is? :blink:
Other than that, I have no advice to offer as not got to that point yet. Hope you start to feel better soon.....it must be a real downer making this huge move and then feeling low. Karma for your homesickness.

P18PPS Apr 2nd 2007 12:20 am

Thinking of you - I'm on a real downer today myself and feel very tearey eyed reading your post. Had a phone call from UK last night saying my Granny is about to pop her clogs, so any emotional situation is starting me off today!

Keep busy, try to plan your days into doing stuff - walk if they weather is good, and sounds stupid but I bake and preserve when the weather is rubbish, but try to stay away from the TV!!

I also joined in with short courses at the local college - they run short ones during the day and at night for next to nothing and this is another way of broadening your network of people. It is harder though when you don't have young children so you have to keep being inventive on how to meet new people. Auckland also issued a magazine last week on "20 things to put back into the community" - they had loads of suggestions/organisations that eg bieng a buddy for a pensioner, volunteering at local hopsitals/resthomes, childrens charities etc etc - keep an eye out because you may find some other avenues of meeting people this way.

good luck, thinking of you.
Sam

Silly Sod Apr 2nd 2007 12:45 am

Hi All,

love Annie

Hi Annie,

Sorry to hear you are so down. Things will pick up when you get online at home I am sure. BE is a great crutch for most of us when we are blue. I find getting absolutely bladdered now and again helps, when you have a hangover like the one I had yesterday you will be far too busy suffering to worry about homesickness :)

Anyway, good luck and I am sure we are all thinking of you. Sending hugs from the USA.

dazal Apr 2nd 2007 12:54 am

Hi All,

love Annie

Sorry to hear about your homesickness. I totally understand how you feel as felt the same way when I first arrived too and practically in the same position as you too - no job, no kids. Hang in there, it will get better.

Have sent you a PM.

Jude J Apr 2nd 2007 12:55 am

Hi Annie and P18PPS, so sorry to hear you are both feeling a bit low. To me, this is the only downside to living here.

Annie, this will pass I promise. It got to me after about 3 months and I wanted to go home so much. But as soon as I started to meet people my mood picked up and I really began enjoying the life and country. I didn't meet anyone through having kids as they were not at the age where I took them to school or had to meet other parents but I did have them there to make a noise in the house and keep me busy.
As the lovely Batty has said, come and have a drink with us Auckland lot, glass of wine and a chat will cheer you up...honest! :)

Littletoe Apr 2nd 2007 3:20 am

Hello lady!

Sorry to hear you're feeling homesick, I have experienced it in the past when in other countries, but the thought of going home still makes me feel sick at the moment!

I agree that having kids does open up windows, I didn't realise it at first, but you can get stuck with people that talk about their kids all day everyday and not a lot else! I've had to cancel plans to meet recently because of the old rib situation (you're welcome to come and look after me if you like, I can pay you in wine!). But when we've moved to Kumeu, I intend to invite some of the girls over for a BBQ. Prior to that I would love to meet, when I can drag my sorry arse behind the wheel of a car again! I'll PM you my number, so you always have someone to chat to, and as I said, hopefully meet with! Your'll never run of things to talk with me about, OK, I mean, your'll never run out of things to listen about with me!!

Take care

Me xx

kwprwn Apr 2nd 2007 5:05 am

Hi Annie

Just a thing to make you feel a wee bit better, my parents are currently visiting me and I was so looking forward to seeing them (having not seen them for a year) and heres a few things that my mum is doing that drives me crazy

1) she has rearranged all the tins in the cupboiard so that she can find what she wants...but now I cant find anything:frown:
2) everytime i go to the kitchen and she is in there, she stands in front of me as if to say 'GET OUT '...I am not even allowed in my own kitchen.arrghhh
3) everytime I say something to owen (my hubby) she asks me what I said and she doesnt even know then what we are talking about, as I am sure most people here have private jokes with their hubby/partners that no one else will understand so i have to explain the whole saga

oh yes I love my parents and missed them lots but living with them for a few days certainly reminds you why you moved out all those years ago:rofl:

oh the plus side to having them here is I havent done any ironing for ages as she has done that for me...mother gladly loaned out for ironing chores if required, shes here till easter saturday, also she clears up the moment you finish your breakfast/lunch or dinner

you will be fine. it does pass and the fact that when your other half is working sometimes it doesnt half get you down, i remember sitting in the library crying in front of the PC as i felt so depressed

take care and always glad to help if you need to yell, scream or cry

OK AUCKLAND LADIES>>>I THINK WE NEED TO ARRANGE A GET TOGETHER PRETTY DAMN SOON>>>I FOR ONE WOULD LIKE TO MEET SOME OF THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE NAMES

Littletoe Apr 2nd 2007 5:11 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 4590979)
Hi Annie

Just a thing to make you feel a wee bit better, my parents are currently visiting me and I was so looking forward to seeing them (having not seen them for a year) and heres a few things that my mum is doing that drives me crazy

1) she has rearranged all the tins in the cupboiard so that she can find what she wants...but now I cant find anything:frown:
2) everytime i go to the kitchen and she is in there, she stands in front of me as if to say 'GET OUT '...I am not even allowed in my own kitchen.arrghhh
3) everytime I say something to owen (my hubby) she asks me what I said and she doesnt even know then what we are talking about, as I am sure most people here have private jokes with their hubby/partners that no one else will understand so i have to explain the whole saga

oh yes I love my parents and missed them lots but living with them for a few days certainly reminds you why you moved out all those years ago:rofl:

oh the plus side to having them here is I havent done any ironing for ages as she has done that for me...mother gladly loaned out for ironing chores if required, shes here till easter saturday, also she clears up the moment you finish your breakfast/lunch or dinner

you will be fine. it does pass and the fact that when your other half is working sometimes it doesnt half get you down, i remember sitting in the library crying in front of the PC as i felt so depressed

OK AUCKLAND LADIES>>>I THINK WE NEED TO ARRANGE A GET TOGETHER PRETTY DAMN SOON>>>I FOR ONE WOULD LIKE TO MEET SOME OF THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE NAMES

Yes, I think so. I'm happy to arrange BBQ and drinks at my new home in Kumeu, I'm thinking it won't be until end of April/start of May though.

dazal Apr 2nd 2007 5:44 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 4590979)
Hi Annie

Just had my dad over for a visit and can certainly relate to the above. He wasnt too bad and think he drove my OH more mad than me but:

1. He embarrassed us so much at a really nice restaurant that were too frightened to go back until the coast is clear and they wont remember us!
2. He did not lift a finger, not even to put a plate in the dishwasher!
3. And he almost tried to climb into bed with us on his first night (albeit accidentally but gave my OH a heck of a shock!) :rofl:

Hope were all helping to make you feel a bit better Annie.

I agree I think an Auckland girly get together sounds great.

jueinnz Apr 2nd 2007 6:06 am

Annie,
Sorry you are down...

We all go though the home sickness thing, but whats good is that you realise you have it, I know it seems crazy but thats the first step to overcoming it!!!
I agree with "the get a dog" suggestion, the no. of people that stop and talk to you on the beach just cause you have a cute puppy in tow is amazing!!!
I have a karma thing going on in a sence that it seems everyone I get close to in NZ then seems to move away, (to south island/wellington/even back to UK!) and I think it is Karma getting me back for leaving everyone in the UK!!!
Try not to get too attatched to the net, cyber life isn't real!!!
It will get better when you work and start meeting people...PROMISE
but feel free to take it out on us in the mean time!!!

Best Wishes
Jue

Auckland meet sounds like a good idea to me:D

Rustie Apr 2nd 2007 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 4590372)
Aw, virtual hugs to you Annie. I was here nearly 18 months when it hit me and it's horrible I know. It's like getting the 'flu I think - your immune system is low so you catch the virus. You're a bit lonely anyway so the homesickness has somewhere to live. Only being busy and having fun will alleviate it, I believe. You're not too far away from Auckland, you're more than welcome to meet up with a couple of us from here who go for a drink together on the Shore - I'm sure they won't mind my saying that :) -

There will be loads of people on here who will be able to relate to how you're feeling and offer more avenues of help.

Oh no! Does that mean we have to go out for a drink again?!! ;) Cool, its been too long! :rofl:

You are doing all the right things by getting out and about and give me a shout if anything I can do, ok? Everyone gets it, but there are lovely folks on here that will help all they can.

Hugs, Rustie xx

SarahB Apr 2nd 2007 8:31 am

Sorry to hear you are feeling down Annie.... I went through it too, and I did have a kid.... I dont think I was a very good mum for a while. When we got here we lived in South Auckland and I hated it.... it rained every ruddy day too.... I bought a car pretty quick and just spent time walking round the shops I was so unhappy. I remember posting on here about how much I hated Auckland and my friends back home were worried about me. It changed when we decided to move to Beachlands.... I'm not a city girl at all so never was going to settle in Auckland. So, I know how you feel and it isnt nice. ((HUGS)) for you. The volunteer work sounds a good idea. My OH is a volunteer fire-fighter now and loves it and we meet some nice people through it.

If youre ever out this way youre more than welcome to pop in for coffee. :D

I'm also up for an Auckland get-together too.... about time we did one!! :D

Hope you feel a bit happier soon!!

SarahB

AnnieNell Apr 12th 2007 3:19 am

Just A quick HI & thank you to you wonderful, wonderful people. Still using the library, move into our home ina couple of weeks :D , so it will be good to have our stuff & stay on the t'internet as long as I want!
Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts, advice & experiences & I will reply to you all individually when I've more time. Clock on screen is counting down mighty fast:eek:
Thanks all,
love Annie

We are talking about a dog;)

pixi-dust Apr 12th 2007 4:09 am

Originally Posted by AnnieNell (Post 4629987)
Just A quick HI & thank you to you wonderful, wonderful people. Still using the library, move into our home ina couple of weeks :D , so it will be good to have our stuff & stay on the t'internet as long as I want!
Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts, advice & experiences & I will reply to you all individually when I've more time. Clock on screen is counting down mighty fast:eek:
Thanks all,
love Annie

lovely to hear from you - you do sound happier :D Probably once you get into your own place you'll feel a lot more settled.
A dog!!! excellent!! snuggles all round!

danny.f Apr 12th 2007 6:36 am

Thanks all,
love Annie

You sound way better mate! What changed? You ok? Wait til you get your own place and stuff!! We got house-furniture in dock-not long now. Chin up and remember why youre here! Good luck.:)

Mandie Apr 12th 2007 9:28 am

Thanks all,
love Annie

Really glad that you're sounding much happier. I think you'll be much happier once you've moved into your house, you'll certainly be kept busy...how exciting!!!

Brill about getting a dog, sounds like just the thing to get you out and about meeting people while walking the dog

lotsa luv & hugs to you

orca05 Apr 12th 2007 9:25 pm

Hi All,

love Annie

Hi Anne
Sorry to see you are feeling down and at least you have found this site so it will help you keep your chin up.I went a big home sickness thing 2 years ago and I have got kids.Yes I did meet people through the kids but they were not my friends from back home whom I had a history with and really missed.
I did get a dog and he was the best thing I ever did because he got me out the house when before I couldn,t be bothered to make the effort to go out and meet people.I went for walks on the beach and started to see that NZ is a beautiful place and we are lucky to be here.
Don't think that having kids is the only way to meet people because it isn't.I have been to play groups where all they talk about is their kids and it can be really boring.I go to these groups to meet other adults and talk about grown up stuff.
We have just moved to a lovely area which is full of really friendly people than the area we were in before.So don't think this how you are always going to feel,you will feel better and go out and enjoy NZ it is a really beautiful place.Never turn down an invitation we are all desperate for friends when we first arrive other people are not so you have to make the effort and you never know who you might meet.

Amber and Chris Apr 13th 2007 12:59 am

I'm not in NZ yet but have been an expat in Canada for 3 years; also was not working for the 1st year so know how frustrating and isolating it is. When I get the homesickness bug:

1> Cry for a really long time and get worn out with it. Wallow in self-pity. Add in everything I feel self-pitying about and howl. Get the officially-titled Self-Pity Cuppa. Blubble snot into it.

2> Realise I am the maker of my situation and I chose to come here. Accept that this doesn't mean I must be thrilled to be here every second, but begin gently reminding myself why I have chosen to be here. Blubble a little more and get the officially-titled Pulling Myself Together Cuppa.

3> Remind self that contacting friends and family back home at this moment is both unproductive and unfair. They are missing you too, and they didn't choose to have you go. Not fair to blub at them that you wish you could be there with them and that life is crap. They will worry themselves sick and not be able to do anything.

4> Email friend who lives in China - good to have someone (or people on this mb, obviously) who understands without you having to explain, and doesn't judge.

5> Take deep breath. And clean snot off face.

These are the "each time it happens" stages. The failsafe long-term plan, though?

6> Knit. If you already know how, go to the wool shop and attend Knit Nite/ Stitch and Bitch/ whatever they have. If you don't, get to the wool shop and
announce "Ahem. I'm new here. And I don't know how to knit." You'll be surrounded instantly. A knitter's favourite activity, even above knitting, is converting non-knitters. Even if you have to knit alone on any occasion, if you get yourself out to a coffee shop and knit there, the chances are someone will approach you and ask you about it. It's better than sitting in the coffee shop with a newspaper or book - nobody can interrupt you then. When you sit knitting it's like pinning a notice on your head saying TALK TO ME.

Seriously. Get some wool. What are you waiting for? :D

kwprwn Apr 13th 2007 1:36 am

Annie: hopefully you are feeling a bit better by now, but I have a friend who lives in OZ who has just moved to melbourne to be with her fiance (they get married next month) and as friend of his asked her one night when they had been in the pub 'How she liked Melbourne' and she just burst into tears...he didnt know what to say and thought he had really upset her...She is now not allowed anywere near Vodka:rofl:

Are you coming to the girly meet up next week?

hayleyt Apr 13th 2007 2:07 am

Hi annie,
if you need someone to talk to I,m literally around the corner from you, Army Bay. I was really homesick when I first came over that was nearly four years ago. I would be here all day if I told you my story. :) :)

Silly Sod Apr 13th 2007 2:29 am

Thanks all,
love Annie

Another hi five from the US as you are sounding much more positive. Mrs Sod spent days in bed sleeping and weeping in the UK while I was at work. I had a few bad times when we got to the US and had to go to the library to check my mail everyday. As everyone has said it will get better and better. Homesickness get's everyone to different degrees but everyone here has felt it. Remember though, we are the special ones, we took a chance and did something most people will never do. Hi five to all of us!!! Keep posting and smiling. More hugs.

The Sods.
:)

PS - I am digging a tunnel - you want in? :)

hayleyt Apr 13th 2007 2:42 am

:) Hi everyone heres a little snippet of my life in nz.

Hi there,
I really feel for you, while reading your post all my emotion came flooding back to how I felt when I was so down and depressed just completely irrational and had to get home.

I,m actually in New zealand and yes I stayed, but I took drastic measures to going back home, arrived in Auckland aug 2003 by october all i was doing was crying and hibernating, not going out not meeting anyone I have four children, at the time they were 16,13,12 and 4 the container hadn't arrived yet so I had time to turn it around ,which I did.

My oh put his notice in here got his old job back home, I was on the phone to the children's old schools got all their places back the two older boys had to go back sooner because I needed to get the eldest back to sixth form and like wise the younger one.

They were going to live with their grandparents until we had arranged and sorted everything out. Booked both their flights back to Heathrow took them to the airport arranged for an auntie to look after them while on the flight. Lots of tears when they left for boarding "just felt really sick you know that horrible feeling when you know what your doing is wrong but you still go ahead and do it anyway".

Walked out of the airport looked at my oh and said "I don't want to go back". Got on the motorway and decided that we both really wanted to stay couldn't turn back on the motorway, it was too late any way, they had took off by this time. Arrived home contacted the airport explained what we had done or what I had done, had to go through sorting their visa out so that they could come back into the country because at the time we was on a work to residency visa.

The only problem getting them back was that it wouldn't be that same day, Singapore Airlines were fantastic, they changed their second leg of their flight around and brought them back to Auckland the day after. Singapor Airlines arranged for their over night stay in Singapore.

They had someone watching them at all times because they were minors, when the boys landed in Singapore they were told that they had a phone call I Couldn't get on the phone and be the bearer of bad news so my oh gave them the happy news, they couldn't believe what we had done, when they came out at arrivals in Auckland they were grinning from ear to ear.

In the November had to go back to the uk for a funeral. That just confirmed for us that our time in the UK was up and our new life in NZ had begun,in saying that we are now thinking of looking to move to Brisbane.

The only advice I can give to anyone is it's a bloody huge thing that you have just done so it takes a while for adjustment, things do settle down you end up getting less times when you are unhappy and more times when things feel quite normal around you, try going back to the UK for a holiday with the new baby and see the family you will know if you have done the right thing then. NZ and oz are a really great playground for the children and of course yourself. Hope this helps feel free to pm any time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by hayleyt : Yesterday at 2:26 pm.

NZGrl Apr 13th 2007 8:21 pm

Hi there,
Just wanted to say that I live at Orewa and have loads of mates out Gulf Harbour way. You should go and see Nicky who is the best hairdresser in town. She is living and working in GH...she works at Navarjo salon in GH. If you meet up with us lot you will NEVER feel lonely again...Too much going on!!
Anyway keep in touch.
Amanda:)

Karen2000 Apr 14th 2007 7:07 pm

Hi All

Just to let you know that Anne and I have met up a couple of times now and it has helped us both immensely , I live in Warkworth which is about 30 mins from Anne in GH . I was feeling very depressed as well and it was becoming easier for me to stay in the house and cry than to go out . I am in a similar situation as I have no children here and am alone all day whilst my OH is out at work , it seemed that however hard I tried I could not remain positive for more than 2 days . Making new friends and feeling I belong here seems a long way off , sometimes it feels like it will never happen . Reading through these replies has made me realize that everyone feels the same way at some time or another and you are not alone , I thought that to tell people how I felt was putting the burden of my unhappiness onto their shoulders , who wants to listen to someone moaning on about how unhappy they are all the time . Anne was very kind to me and even though she was having a hard time herself she made me feel ok about sharing how I felt with her .

The thing that I find the hardest to cope with is feeling like an outsider , I expect that sounds strange and I am probably not explaining myself very well but that is the only way I can describe it , everyone else belongs and feels at home and you just don`t . I suppose it depends on the type of person you are as to how easy it is for you to settle and how quickly ,well I used to think I was a fairly positive person and quite out going but moving to NZ has been much harder than I thought it would be for me , I am so negative .
My poor husband listens to me most days and never complains I will have to make it up to him at some time , he is always so supportive , sorry that I have rambled on a bit I doubt if any of this will make sense if I read it back so I won`t .

Karen

Leighlou Apr 14th 2007 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Karen2000 (Post 4642304)
Hi All

Just to let you know that Anne and I have met up a couple of times now and it has helped us both immensely , I live in Warkworth which is about 30 mins from Anne in GH . I was feeling very depressed as well and it was becoming easier for me to stay in the house and cry than to go out . I am in a similar situation as I have no children here and am alone all day whilst my OH is out at work , it seemed that however hard I tried I could not remain positive for more than 2 days . Making new friends and feeling I belong here seems a long way off , sometimes it feels like it will never happen . Reading through these replies has made me realize that everyone feels the same way at some time or another and you are not alone , I thought that to tell people how I felt was putting the burden of my unhappiness onto their shoulders , who wants to listen to someone moaning on about how unhappy they are all the time . Anne was very kind to me and even though she was having a hard time herself she made me feel ok about sharing how I felt with her .

The thing that I find the hardest to cope with is feeling like an outsider , I expect that sounds strange and I am probably not explaining myself very well but that is the only way I can describe it , everyone else belongs and feels at home and you just don`t . I suppose it depends on the type of person you are as to how easy it is for you to settle and how quickly ,well I used to think I was a fairly positive person and quite out going but moving to NZ has been much harder than I thought it would be for me , I am so negative .
My poor husband listens to me most days and never complains I will have to make it up to him at some time , he is always so supportive , sorry that I have rambled on a bit I doubt if any of this will make sense if I read it back so I won`t .

Karen

Hi Karen and Anne,
I've moved around a fair bit in my life, albeit only in the UK and France, and I have a theory that you works for me, and that is that you will of course "hate" a new place to begin with. Each time we move to a new area, I make the mental shift that I cannot possibly expect to be settled and happy until we have got to know the area, and made some friends. It may sound strange, but I just think that if you alter your expectations mentally, it does make things a lot easier. Don't have huge expectations that you should immediately be happy, as how can you possibly be so until you have settled in. Just the small every day issues in life are hard to begin with cause you don't know where the local dump is, or the local B&Q, or the best Fish & Chip shop is etc.
I of course do not have the experience of moving to the other side of the world (although hoping that it won't be too long before we are joining you) and of course it is doubly hard to find your feet and settle in 12,000 miles from home.
So I just wanted to say to you both that you should both be so very very proud of yourselves!:thumbsup: Give yourselves a great big pat on the back for getting there, and know that this time next year you will have settled in, and you will have friends, and you will know where the best fish and chips are! Hope that this make sense and sorry if I have rambled!
Karma to you both! Leighlou.x

hayleyt Apr 14th 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Karen,

I know exactly how you feel, I'm actually over the homesick bit now, but I used to say I felt like a sore thumb you know you stick out in a crowd. You will get there it just takes time it's also good to get all your feelings down on paper or computer in this instance, you will always have your good and bad days, eventually the bad days get less and the good get more.

I have been here nearly four years and I still have the odd day here and there, but I don't feel like that sore thumb any more. Things will get better and you will become more positive it just takes a little time. I can remember thinking what I have I done! You do adjust and life moves on it just feels like a snails pace in the beginning, even the weekends never felt right to me when we first came over. How long have you been here? I live in Army Bay which is close to Gulf Harbour. Hugs hope you feel better soon:)

Squidge Apr 15th 2007 8:00 am

Well I thought I was the only one who would admit I was homesick !!! We have been here 18 months now and OH (Kiwi) and I have decided to go back to Blighty.

I think for me I was never unhappy in the UK, we lived in the a beautiful part (Cotswolds) had GREAT friends, fantastic jobs but hubby thought this would would be better, oh hindsight you are a wonderful thing !!

Since being here, it took me 6 months to get my first job, I am now on my third, never had so many jobs in a short space of time, the dog died, we've been burgled, a display stand in The Warehouse collapsed and bruised my face and chipped a tooth (just before Xmas), try finding a dentist a day before Christmas and everyone I speak to makes me out to be a villain because I want to go home !!!!!!

Okay people I admit it, I'm English, what's so wrong about that, NZ is a lovely country, has good & bad things about but where doesn't but deep down I miss my home.

I wish anyone the best of luck to try it, I'm glad I did but I am not too proud to say to isn't for me and now I am saving really hard to get back next year.

kwprwn Apr 15th 2007 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by sharronemery (Post 4643976)
Well I thought I was the only one who would admit I was homesick !!! We have been here 18 months now and OH (Kiwi) and I have decided to go back to Blighty.

I think for me I was never unhappy in the UK, we lived in the a beautiful part (Cotswolds) had GREAT friends, fantastic jobs but hubby thought this would would be better, oh hindsight you are a wonderful thing !!

Since being here, it took me 6 months to get my first job, I am now on my third, never had so many jobs in a short space of time, the dog died, we've been burgled, a display stand in The Warehouse collapsed and bruised my face and chipped a tooth (just before Xmas), try finding a dentist a day before Christmas and everyone I speak to makes me out to be a villain because I want to go home !!!!!!

Okay people I admit it, I'm English, what's so wrong about that, NZ is a lovely country, has good & bad things about but where doesn't but deep down I miss my home.

I wish anyone the best of luck to try it, I'm glad I did but I am not too proud to say to isn't for me and now I am saving really hard to get back next year.

Oh dear it does sound like you have had a run of bad luck

Good luck in the future and lets hope you have a better time in your remainder of your time here, then it wont all be bad memories

Dawn

The Weezer Apr 16th 2007 12:59 am

Originally Posted by sharronemery (Post 4643976)

It takes courage to admit you want to go back home, some people will
think you're not adaptable enough, others will think you love to find fault
with things. I'm in a similar situation where I came to live here not because
I thought it would be better, but because of personal circumstances.
It makes homesickness worse, doesn't it, when you really loved where
you used to live.
I worry too about explaining myself, because it really does not suffice to
say, "NZ is not for me" because your friends and family will want to know
why. Just as on this forum if you become specific about why you would
rather live back home, beyond the obvious reasons of missing family and
friends, your opinions can be taken as complaining or that you feel
somehow superior to people who want to stay.
Take heart, though. Even the statistics put out by NZ immigration show
that nearly half of all British immigrants return to the UK within the first
5 years. I wonder how many stay simply because they can no longer
afford to leave? I know, from reading through the archives, that some of
our most adamant lovers and defenders of NZ lifestyle did not sound so
sanguine when they first arrived, and it seems they stayed simply
because they resigned themselves to it. It is also no secret that
the numbers of NZers that choose to live elsewhere is huge.
Good luck with your saving!

Squidge Apr 16th 2007 4:59 am

Originally Posted by The Weezer (Post 4647266)
It takes courage to admit you want to go back home, some people will
think you're not adaptable enough, others will think you love to find fault
with things. I'm in a similar situation where I came to live here not because
I thought it would be better, but because of personal circumstances.
It makes homesickness worse, doesn't it, when you really loved where
you used to live.
I worry too about explaining myself, because it really does not suffice to
say, "NZ is not for me" because your friends and family will want to know
why. Just as on this forum if you become specific about why you would
rather live back home, beyond the obvious reasons of missing family and
friends, your opinions can be taken as complaining or that you feel
somehow superior to people who want to stay.
Take heart, though. Even the statistics put out by NZ immigration show
that nearly half of all British immigrants return to the UK within the first
5 years. I wonder how many stay simply because they can no longer
afford to leave? I know, from reading through the archives, that some of
our most adamant lovers and defenders of NZ lifestyle did not sound so
sanguine when they first arrived, and it seems they stayed simply
because they resigned themselves to it. It is also no secret that
the numbers of NZers that choose to live elsewhere is huge.
Good luck with your saving!

I see you are in Sth Auckland so you are not far from us, we're in Whitford. So what brought you here, it was interesting to hear your comments, it almost sounded like me !!

The Weezer Apr 16th 2007 5:34 am

Originally Posted by sharronemery (Post 4647715)
I see you are in Sth Auckland so you are not far from us, we're in Whitford. So what brought you here, it was interesting to hear your comments, it almost sounded like me !!

Whitford is one of the nicest suburbs in all of Auckland, I think! Reminds
me *a little* of home. I couldn't afford to live there though.
I came to live with my boyfriend, a NZer. We live in South Auckland
because he owns the house mortgage-free. And we have a section
that's a little over 1/4 acre, a relative rarity these days so close
to downtown Auckland.
We don't move, because to live in a place with as much land and privacy
would be prohibitively expensive for us, as neither of us wants to go
into debt. Also our kitchen is very large for a NZ house, and our bedroom
is huge, probably owing to the fact that this house was owned by
Americans in the 70's.
We also won't move now because we are saving to go back to my home.
I feel the longer I live here, the less it seems to appeal to me.

I think so many of the posts by people who are disillusioned by their
life in NZ sound similar. It's not just complaining because they are specific
about what they find lacking, or what has not turned out to be
as advertised. I have a long time friend, a NZer who has lived in the US
for nearly thirty years. He always spoke of the "quality of life" in NZ, yet
he will probably never return, and his nephew's goal is to marry an American
to get US citizenship, so go figure.

Even though you live in one of the nicer parts of Auckland, I can imagine
why you would want to go home. As a child, reading about the Costwolds
in National Geographic or seeing it on TV, I always thought of it as a
remarkable place for it's beauty and history. And you can't beat the
cultural richness of England (or Europe or the US for that matter). To me
it is an essential part of real quality of life. Imagine being able to read
an excellent newspaper while you eat your breakfast! You just
can't beat a good read. Or to feel you are living in the world, and partaking
if only vicariously, in the world of ideas and cultural trends.
Living here right now, I can only imagine it. You just can't spend all
your time on the internet trying to feel as if you have not dropped off
the face the world.

Squidge Apr 16th 2007 7:28 am

Originally Posted by The Weezer (Post 4647752)
Whitford is one of the nicest suburbs in all of Auckland, I think! Reminds
me *a little* of home. I couldn't afford to live there though.
I came to live with my boyfriend, a NZer. We live in South Auckland
because he owns the house mortgage-free. And we have a section
that's a little over 1/4 acre, a relative rarity these days so close
to downtown Auckland.
We don't move, because to live in a place with as much land and privacy
would be prohibitively expensive for us, as neither of us wants to go
into debt. Also our kitchen is very large for a NZ house, and our bedroom
is huge, probably owing to the fact that this house was owned by
Americans in the 70's.
We also won't move now because we are saving to go back to my home.
I feel the longer I live here, the less it seems to appeal to me.

I think so many of the posts by people who are disillusioned by their
life in NZ sound similar. It's not just complaining because they are specific
about what they find lacking, or what has not turned out to be
as advertised. I have a long time friend, a NZer who has lived in the US
for nearly thirty years. He always spoke of the "quality of life" in NZ, yet
he will probably never return, and his nephew's goal is to marry an American
to get US citizenship, so go figure.

Even though you live in one of the nicer parts of Auckland, I can imagine
why you would want to go home. As a child, reading about the Costwolds
in National Geographic or seeing it on TV, I always thought of it as a
remarkable place for it's beauty and history. And you can't beat the
cultural richness of England (or Europe or the US for that matter). To me
it is an essential part of real quality of life. Imagine being able to read
an excellent newspaper while you eat your breakfast! You just
can't beat a good read. Or to feel you are living in the world, and partaking
if only vicariously, in the world of ideas and cultural trends.
Living here right now, I can only imagine it. You just can't spend all
your time on the internet trying to feel as if you have not dropped off
the face the world.

Yes we are lucky where we live although we do not own our house only rent.

Hubby's family moved from Auckland last year to Te Aroha, I find it difficult to think that I want to go back when hubby's family is here. The joys of meeting someone from a different country I suppose ??

So where were you from the UK ?? are your family still there ?? How does your partner feel about going to live in UK ?? Will you sell the house here or rent it out ?? When will you be going back ??

I always thought it was harder for me as I am 40 "ish" and set in my ways but it is good to know, as I said in my first post, that I am not the only one who feels as I do.

I agree about the cultural diversity of Europe and the UK and I miss it, but at least we will get a taste of it next month, we are back in old blighty for a holiday. The only problem will be getting back on that plane, I think hubby will have to drag me on kicking and screaming but heh ho.

Maybe we should meet up and have a glass or two to drown our sorrows ???

The Weezer Apr 16th 2007 10:03 am

Originally Posted by sharronemery (Post 4647910)
Yes we are lucky where we live although we do not own our house only rent.

Hubby's family moved from Auckland last year to Te Aroha, I find it difficult to think that I want to go back when hubby's family is here. The joys of meeting someone from a different country I suppose ??

So where were you from the UK ?? are your family still there ?? How does your partner feel about going to live in UK ?? Will you sell the house here or rent it out ?? When will you be going back ??

I always thought it was harder for me as I am 40 "ish" and set in my ways but it is good to know, as I said in my first post, that I am not the only one who feels as I do.

I agree about the cultural diversity of Europe and the UK and I miss it, but at least we will get a taste of it next month, we are back in old blighty for a holiday. The only problem will be getting back on that plane, I think hubby will have to drag me on kicking and screaming but heh ho.

Maybe we should meet up and have a glass or two to drown our sorrows ???

I'm not from the UK. I was born in Ecuador but grew up in New Jersey.
I read the posts on this site because there really is no place, other than
the NZ immigration website, to post for someone like me. There are very
few Americans here, even fewer Latin Americans.
My boyfriend lived in the UK briefly, and luckily he's not adverse to living
in the States. He doesn't have a large family, and they live on the
South Island, so we don't see them much anyway.
He has spent a lot of time with me in the US, and seems to like the
diversity, not just of the people, but also the culture, landscapes, scenery.
He said about the eastern US, "I've never seen so many trees before!"
And the plain comfort of life there as compared to here is something
he's noticed.

We don't know if we'll sell or rent. Considering our neighborhood, it would
be hard to imagine finding someone we could trust with the property.

I will go back as soon as possible, perhaps as early as the end of the year.
My boyfriend has a business, so that's not something
he can leave quite so soon, but we will work something out.
I know what you mean about the plane ride back. Very hard to say
goodbye to everyone again, isn't it?

PM me if you want to meet up.

Leighlou Apr 16th 2007 8:45 pm

:) Hi sharronemery & The Weezer. I just wanted to say to you guys that I for one do value what you have to say. We have been looking at emigrating to NZ for quite some time, and have been on various websites, and subscribed to an NZ emigrate newspaper etc. and this site is the only place that I have found that does give a more honest view of what to expect. So much so, that we have now stopped thinking that we are emigrating and are instead now making the move to live in NZ for a few years to try it out. If we end up staying that will be great as it will mean NZ has proved, for us, to be a better place to bring up our children, but, if after a couple of years we do want to come home, we shall look upon it all as one hell of an adventure and have now feelings of failure. I think that this is probably a more realistic view to take, and mentally a more healthy view to have if we do want to come home again. And, have only developed this view from reading stories like yours.
Good luck to you both! I think you are both brave people who have had the courage to move overseas and are lucky enough to have found where you will truly be comfortable. And, you will never been sitting there in 20 years time wondering what if! :blink:
Best wishes, Leighlou. :D

Squidge Apr 18th 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4651645)
:) Hi sharronemery & The Weezer. I just wanted to say to you guys that I for one do value what you have to say. We have been looking at emigrating to NZ for quite some time, and have been on various websites, and subscribed to an NZ emigrate newspaper etc. and this site is the only place that I have found that does give a more honest view of what to expect. So much so, that we have now stopped thinking that we are emigrating and are instead now making the move to live in NZ for a few years to try it out. If we end up staying that will be great as it will mean NZ has proved, for us, to be a better place to bring up our children, but, if after a couple of years we do want to come home, we shall look upon it all as one hell of an adventure and have now feelings of failure. I think that this is probably a more realistic view to take, and mentally a more healthy view to have if we do want to come home again. And, have only developed this view from reading stories like yours.
Good luck to you both! I think you are both brave people who have had the courage to move overseas and are lucky enough to have found where you will truly be comfortable. And, you will never been sitting there in 20 years time wondering what if! :blink:
Best wishes, Leighlou. :D

well good on you, I think it is a great way to look at it and try it. I wish you all the best of luck

cherry Apr 18th 2007 10:16 am

We were homesick in the uk before we emigrated here .Sick of the violence ,sick of the car crime ,sick of the burglaries,sick of the way it was in general sick of BLIAR yes spelt like that as he is a LIAR .Dont miss it one bit just my mates and close family but we keep in touch a lot and they are coming here to visit to see how good it is so stick it out and remember why you did it in the first place .This country has a lot going for it ,more than the down sides that UK has .We love it here and when I ask my OH if she wants to go to the UK to see her family she says NO THANKS its a waste of dollars visit us if you want but to go back on a whim no way.Here to stay.:thumbsup: