Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

History and the Internet

History and the Internet

Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:39 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile History and the Internet

Where does the Internet go when it is finished and gets old? Like a crockery you might throw away under the house or in a landfill and people find it thousands of years later and marvel at what a simple and primitive time it was.

But what happens to the internet? Is someone saving the internet for future generations? Will historians one day stalk through this forum trying to catch a glimpse at what the people of New Zealand where like before Taupo 2.0: Resurrection?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: History and the Internet

Have you been on the sherbet dib dabs again ...
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:58 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Only the best showbiz Sherbet petal. Now it's a nice night want to go for a run?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

they do say reading too many SciFi books can warp the mind a little

but now I have finished an Arthur C Clarke for the 5th time, perhaps it has more merit than you realise
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:00 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Where does the Internet go when it is finished and gets old? Like a crockery you might throw away under the house or in a landfill and people find it thousands of years later and marvel at what a simple and primitive time it was.

But what happens to the internet? Is someone saving the internet for future generations? Will historians one day stalk through this forum trying to catch a glimpse at what the people of New Zealand where like before Taupo 2.0: Resurrection?
internetarchive.org / wayback machine/ archive.org is saving it - whatever the site is known as now.

good place to look - you can find my old work page on there

UK Govt was doing the same.

but I suppose it will end up in a flash card sized device that you connect wirelessly with the cerebral cortex or upload, like the Neuromancer did - not Keanau's best but one of Gibson's IMO.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Have you been on the sherbet dib dabs again ...
maybe as our thoughts turn to the past, the ever contrary charismaniac turns to the future of the past.....?

/takes the next sherbert dib-dab/
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:03 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Domino
they do say reading too many SciFi books can warp the mind a little

but now I have finished an Arthur C Clarke for the 5th time, perhaps it has more merit than you realise
which one ?
I always liked childhood's end, although it was rather opposed to my (then) religious beliefs
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:06 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
maybe as our thoughts turn to the past, the ever contrary charismaniac turns to the future of the past.....?

/takes the next sherbert dib-dab/
Can't the future of the past be the past, present or future of our present?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:08 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine the internet to be ever present, what is here now will exist in some form though maybe not as easily accessible as today [probably a good thing!]
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:08 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Persephone
Can't the future of the past be the past, present or future of our present?
oh no there's someone who's read too much Sci-Fi.......

didn't mean the past's future as such, as being on the same continuum, rather I meant the future (welfare) of what has gone before......

I think

It's late, did a hard day of detecting, diagnosing and inhaling crap so must away to bed. Or the men in the white coats will be around
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Persephone
I imagine the internet to be ever present, what is here now will exist in some form though maybe not as easily accessible as today [probably a good thing!]
no no no
we must have a means to satisfy our addictions
please mummy
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:32 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by lardyl
oh no there's someone who's read too much Sci-Fi.......

didn't mean the past's future as such, as being on the same continuum, rather I meant the future (welfare) of what has gone before......

I think

It's late, did a hard day of detecting, diagnosing and inhaling crap so must away to bed. Or the men in the white coats will be around
Me and Sci-Fi! I don't think so I knew what you were getting at, just had a few glasses of wine and was interested in your answer.
Yeah I've had a hard week of stroppy people, bites, scratches and general weirdness culminating today in Mrs '60years old, posh accent, makeup applied with a trowel, mutton dressed as lamb' talking to me like I was 16 years old whilst requesting I do something very simple that she couldn't possibly manage to do. She got 'ambivalent' Persephone who says very very little