British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   History and the Internet (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/history-internet-738228/)

Charismatic Nov 8th 2011 8:39 am

History and the Internet

Where does the Internet go when it is finished and gets old? Like a crockery you might throw away under the house or in a landfill and people find it thousands of years later and marvel at what a simple and primitive time it was.

But what happens to the internet? Is someone saving the internet for future generations? Will historians one day stalk through this forum trying to catch a glimpse at what the people of New Zealand where like before Taupo 2.0: Resurrection?

Am Loolah Nov 8th 2011 8:52 am

Re: History and the Internet

Have you been on the sherbet dib dabs again ... :sneaky:

Charismatic Nov 8th 2011 8:58 am

Only the best showbiz Sherbet petal. Now it's a nice night want to go for a run? :lol:

Domino Nov 10th 2011 9:52 am

they do say reading too many SciFi books can warp the mind a little

but now I have finished an Arthur C Clarke for the 5th time, perhaps it has more merit than you realise

lardyl Nov 10th 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9720320)
Where does the Internet go when it is finished and gets old? Like a crockery you might throw away under the house or in a landfill and people find it thousands of years later and marvel at what a simple and primitive time it was.

But what happens to the internet? Is someone saving the internet for future generations? Will historians one day stalk through this forum trying to catch a glimpse at what the people of New Zealand where like before Taupo 2.0: Resurrection?

internetarchive.org / wayback machine/ archive.org is saving it - whatever the site is known as now.

good place to look - you can find my old work page on there ;)

UK Govt was doing the same.

but I suppose it will end up in a flash card sized device that you connect wirelessly with the cerebral cortex or upload, like the Neuromancer did - not Keanau's best but one of Gibson's IMO.

lardyl Nov 10th 2011 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9720342)
Have you been on the sherbet dib dabs again ... :sneaky:

maybe as our thoughts turn to the past, the ever contrary charismaniac turns to the future of the past.....?

/takes the next sherbert dib-dab/

lardyl Nov 10th 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9724718)
they do say reading too many SciFi books can warp the mind a little

but now I have finished an Arthur C Clarke for the 5th time, perhaps it has more merit than you realise

which one ?
I always liked childhood's end, although it was rather opposed to my (then) religious beliefs

Persephone Nov 10th 2011 10:06 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9724742)
maybe as our thoughts turn to the past, the ever contrary charismaniac turns to the future of the past.....?

/takes the next sherbert dib-dab/

Can't the future of the past be the past, present or future of our present?

Persephone Nov 10th 2011 10:08 am

I imagine the internet to be ever present, what is here now will exist in some form though maybe not as easily accessible as today [probably a good thing!]

lardyl Nov 10th 2011 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 9724749)
Can't the future of the past be the past, present or future of our present?

oh no there's someone who's read too much Sci-Fi.......

didn't mean the past's future as such, as being on the same continuum, rather I meant the future (welfare) of what has gone before......

I think

It's late, did a hard day of detecting, diagnosing and inhaling crap so must away to bed. Or the men in the white coats will be around :eek:

lardyl Nov 10th 2011 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 9724753)
I imagine the internet to be ever present, what is here now will exist in some form though maybe not as easily accessible as today [probably a good thing!]

no no no
we must have a means to satisfy our addictions :(
please mummy :p

Persephone Nov 10th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9724755)
oh no there's someone who's read too much Sci-Fi.......

didn't mean the past's future as such, as being on the same continuum, rather I meant the future (welfare) of what has gone before......

I think

It's late, did a hard day of detecting, diagnosing and inhaling crap so must away to bed. Or the men in the white coats will be around :eek:

Me and Sci-Fi! I don't think so;) I knew what you were getting at, just had a few glasses of wine and was interested in your answer.
Yeah I've had a hard week of stroppy people, bites, scratches and general weirdness culminating today in Mrs '60years old, posh accent, makeup applied with a trowel, mutton dressed as lamb' talking to me like I was 16 years old whilst requesting I do something very simple that she couldn't possibly manage to do. She got 'ambivalent' Persephone who says very very little:rofl: