Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about NZ?

Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about NZ?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:36 am
  #1  
Kym
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Uk
Posts: 31
Kym will become famous soon enoughKym will become famous soon enough
Talking Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about NZ?

I'm 18 in a few months, lol, my family are moving to NZ in february time. I'm not going straight away but know that i need to eventually!! I've met aa few people on here but it was quite a few months ago and i would like to get talking to people again. Incase you hadn't guessed my names Kim. I live in essex at the moment, not too sure where the family are moving to in NZ as i get upset talking or thinking about it, as i'm sure you all understand. Would love to meet people on here that are either on their way over or are already there, will keep you updated on the place they're going to, that way maybe i could meet people when i get over there. Random note, but thanks if you read it lol. Kim xxxxx
Kym is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:05 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
irnbru14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,208
irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by Kym View Post
I'm 18 in a few months, lol, my family are moving to NZ in february time. I'm not going straight away but know that i need to eventually!! I've met aa few people on here but it was quite a few months ago and i would like to get talking to people again. Incase you hadn't guessed my names Kim. I live in essex at the moment, not too sure where the family are moving to in NZ as i get upset talking or thinking about it, as i'm sure you all understand. Would love to meet people on here that are either on their way over or are already there, will keep you updated on the place they're going to, that way maybe i could meet people when i get over there. Random note, but thanks if you read it lol. Kim xxxxx
Kim, I guess it must be pretty hard for you to think about uprooting from friends and family and home, I've come out on my own and know how it feels to suddenly be away from everything you are used to, but I did the travelling thing in 2006 and loved it out here, so here I am, and they are a friendly bunch the locals and, from what I've found, will do all they can to make you feel welcome, only been here about 4 months now and already got a cool wee circle of friends that I've met.

And stay on here and chat to folks, they are a friendly and helpfull bunch on the messageboards, and there always seems to be a meet up or BBQ or something happening, I just haven't been to one yet!!

NZ is a great place to live, if you haven't been out a lot of it is similar to the UK but there are differences too, it still feels a bit like home away from home at times, but Wellington reminds me of Edinburgh at times, so that helps!

I'm loving it so far, though the sunshine is helping
irnbru14 is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:39 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
shaozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Isle of Wight>Hamilton>Sunshine Coast
Posts: 40
shaozzy has a spectacular aura aboutshaozzy has a spectacular aura aboutshaozzy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by Kym View Post
I'm 18 in a few months, lol, my family are moving to NZ in february time. I'm not going straight away but know that i need to eventually!! I've met aa few people on here but it was quite a few months ago and i would like to get talking to people again. Incase you hadn't guessed my names Kim. I live in essex at the moment, not too sure where the family are moving to in NZ as i get upset talking or thinking about it, as i'm sure you all understand. Would love to meet people on here that are either on their way over or are already there, will keep you updated on the place they're going to, that way maybe i could meet people when i get over there. Random note, but thanks if you read it lol. Kim xxxxx
hey my names kayleigh using my mum's login membership i saw your thing on here and just wanted to say if your going with your parents don't leave it too long as i came here about 6mnths after my parents and i'm now finding it hard to stay in the country due to immigration as when i went for residency i was too old to go under dependant child and that was at 19!! which just means i have to do yearly work permits, and they are so hard to get unless your job you go for is on the skills shortage list!! i'm from the isle of wight in England and i've been here nearly 2years and it was real hard to leave my friends and family, but it's the best decision i've made to come here!! the people are so friendly and you'll make friends in no time. I'm living in a place called Te Awamutu which is a nice town to live in and its about a 20min drive from Hamilton which is the city and it has all the nightclubs etc there!! anyway good luck with coming here but you wont need it!!!
shaozzy is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:36 am
  #4  
Winter hibernator
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Miramar - Wellington - North Island - New Zealand
Posts: 779
Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by Kym View Post
I'm 18 in a few months, lol, my family are moving to NZ in february time. I'm not going straight away but know that i need to eventually!! I've met aa few people on here but it was quite a few months ago and i would like to get talking to people again. Incase you hadn't guessed my names Kim. I live in essex at the moment, not too sure where the family are moving to in NZ as i get upset talking or thinking about it, as i'm sure you all understand. Would love to meet people on here that are either on their way over or are already there, will keep you updated on the place they're going to, that way maybe i could meet people when i get over there. Random note, but thanks if you read it lol. Kim xxxxx
Hi Kym,

Easy decision, come over for a year, see what its like (make sure you stay for the summer) and if you don't like it go back.

You won't know unless you try, your friends will still be there if you go back.
Ted Logan is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:44 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Woburn, Wellington
Posts: 753
teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Not sure if you drive but here in NZ you can be far more independent travel wise than maybe you could at a young age in the UK.

Buying and insuring a car as an 18 year old in the UK is not easy as insurnace is so expensive.....over here you can drive without it if you wish to meaning a car is in easier reach of a teenager.

Generally being mobile means more independence if you want it......?
teambwr47 is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:18 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
kato33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Rotorua, NZ
Posts: 1,070
kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Thanks to all you who have replied.

As you may guess, this is my eldest daughter who has posted.

Nici
kato33 is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:26 am
  #7  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by kato33 View Post
Thanks to all you who have replied.

As you may guess, this is my eldest daughter who has posted.

Nici
Have "mature" 15 and a half year old or friends 22 year old I could ask if that's any help?

Got e-mail from Denise in Rotorua today saying your arrival plans etc - has she been able to assist with anything?
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:42 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
kato33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Rotorua, NZ
Posts: 1,070
kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Have "mature" 15 and a half year old or friends 22 year old I could ask if that's any help?

Got e-mail from Denise in Rotorua today saying your arrival plans etc - has she been able to assist with anything?
Will contact her today with our arrival news.
kato33 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:37 am
  #9  
Kym
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Uk
Posts: 31
Kym will become famous soon enoughKym will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by niseysOH View Post
Not sure if you drive but here in NZ you can be far more independent travel wise than maybe you could at a young age in the UK.

Buying and insuring a car as an 18 year old in the UK is not easy as insurnace is so expensive.....over here you can drive without it if you wish to meaning a car is in easier reach of a teenager.

Generally being mobile means more independence if you want it......?
Thank you so much for replying to my thread. I don't drive yet, but when i move to NZ i will learn from there. Thanks again xx
Kym is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:39 am
  #10  
Kym
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Uk
Posts: 31
Kym will become famous soon enoughKym will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Have "mature" 15 and a half year old or friends 22 year old I could ask if that's any help?

Got e-mail from Denise in Rotorua today saying your arrival plans etc - has she been able to assist with anything?
Someone to chat to is brilliant, no matter what age!! Thank you xx
Kym is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:42 am
  #11  
Kym
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Uk
Posts: 31
Kym will become famous soon enoughKym will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by shaozzy View Post
hey my names kayleigh using my mum's login membership i saw your thing on here and just wanted to say if your going with your parents don't leave it too long as i came here about 6mnths after my parents and i'm now finding it hard to stay in the country due to immigration as when i went for residency i was too old to go under dependant child and that was at 19!! which just means i have to do yearly work permits, and they are so hard to get unless your job you go for is on the skills shortage list!! i'm from the isle of wight in England and i've been here nearly 2years and it was real hard to leave my friends and family, but it's the best decision i've made to come here!! the people are so friendly and you'll make friends in no time. I'm living in a place called Te Awamutu which is a nice town to live in and its about a 20min drive from Hamilton which is the city and it has all the nightclubs etc there!! anyway good luck with coming here but you wont need it!!!
I will most probably move this year sometime, as once my mum goes in Feb i know that will make me realise how much i need her, therefore i'll be straight out there. I'll be 18 this year, so do you think it will make it harder for me too? Coz shes going 3 days after im 18 anyways, so if i went then i would still be the same age. I dont want to go over there and to be told i might not get residency coz once im there i wanna stay. Thank you for replying you can put your email on here if you want and we could write? xxx
Kym is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:45 am
  #12  
conquering the world!
 
karonious's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Puatahanui, Porirua
Posts: 4,905
karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by Kym View Post
you can put your email on here if you want and we could write? xxx
Sorry to jump in - please don't post your email on the forum. Keep it private and use PM's, thanks
karonious is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:14 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
kato33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Rotorua, NZ
Posts: 1,070
kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by karonious View Post
Sorry to jump in - please don't post your email on the forum. Keep it private and use PM's, thanks
Kim.........do a PM hun.
Could be a few nutters on here so don't give your addy out.

Ooooppss........I am the nutter I speak about. Help!!
kato33 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:28 pm
  #14  
Kym
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Uk
Posts: 31
Kym will become famous soon enoughKym will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by kato33 View Post
Kim.........do a PM hun.
Could be a few nutters on here so don't give your addy out.

Ooooppss........I am the nutter I speak about. Help!!
Haha, I did realise i shouldnt have put that afterwards lol. HOw come your not on MSN!!!! lol. Did dad get my text through lewis last night? i did tell him to text him. love you xxx
Kym is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:25 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
shaozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Isle of Wight>Hamilton>Sunshine Coast
Posts: 40
shaozzy has a spectacular aura aboutshaozzy has a spectacular aura aboutshaozzy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by Kym View Post
I will most probably move this year sometime, as once my mum goes in Feb i know that will make me realise how much i need her, therefore i'll be straight out there. I'll be 18 this year, so do you think it will make it harder for me too? Coz shes going 3 days after im 18 anyways, so if i went then i would still be the same age. I dont want to go over there and to be told i might not get residency coz once im there i wanna stay. Thank you for replying you can put your email on here if you want and we could write? xxx
hey Kym will pm ya x
shaozzy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.