British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hi-there-anyone-here-age-18-onwards-wants-chat-about-nz-505093/)

Kym Jan 10th 2008 9:36 am

Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about NZ?

I'm 18 in a few months, lol, my family are moving to NZ in february time. I'm not going straight away but know that i need to eventually!! I've met aa few people on here but it was quite a few months ago and i would like to get talking to people again. Incase you hadn't guessed my names Kim. I live in essex at the moment, not too sure where the family are moving to in NZ as i get upset talking or thinking about it, as i'm sure you all understand. Would love to meet people on here that are either on their way over or are already there, will keep you updated on the place they're going to, that way maybe i could meet people when i get over there. Random note, but thanks if you read it lol. Kim xxxxx

irnbru14 Jan 10th 2008 10:05 am

Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

Originally Posted by Kym (Post 5767443)
I'm 18 in a few months, lol, my family are moving to NZ in february time. I'm not going straight away but know that i need to eventually!! I've met aa few people on here but it was quite a few months ago and i would like to get talking to people again. Incase you hadn't guessed my names Kim. I live in essex at the moment, not too sure where the family are moving to in NZ as i get upset talking or thinking about it, as i'm sure you all understand. Would love to meet people on here that are either on their way over or are already there, will keep you updated on the place they're going to, that way maybe i could meet people when i get over there. Random note, but thanks if you read it lol. Kim xxxxx

Kim, I guess it must be pretty hard for you to think about uprooting from friends and family and home, I've come out on my own and know how it feels to suddenly be away from everything you are used to, but I did the travelling thing in 2006 and loved it out here, so here I am, and they are a friendly bunch the locals and, from what I've found, will do all they can to make you feel welcome, only been here about 4 months now and already got a cool wee circle of friends that I've met.

And stay on here and chat to folks, they are a friendly and helpfull bunch on the messageboards, and there always seems to be a meet up or BBQ or something happening, I just haven't been to one yet!!

NZ is a great place to live, if you haven't been out a lot of it is similar to the UK but there are differences too, it still feels a bit like home away from home at times, but Wellington reminds me of Edinburgh at times, so that helps!

I'm loving it so far, though the sunshine is helping :thumbsup:

shaozzy Jan 10th 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Hi, Is there anyone on here from the age of 18 onwards that wants to chat about N

hey my names kayleigh using my mum's login membership i saw your thing on here and just wanted to say if your going with your parents don't leave it too long as i came here about 6mnths after my parents and i'm now finding it hard to stay in the country due to immigration as when i went for residency i was too old to go under dependant child and that was at 19!! which just means i have to do yearly work permits, and they are so hard to get unless your job you go for is on the skills shortage list!! i'm from the isle of wight in England and i've been here nearly 2years and it was real hard to leave my friends and family, but it's the best decision i've made to come here!! the people are so friendly and you'll make friends in no time. I'm living in a place called Te Awamutu which is a nice town to live in and its about a 20min drive from Hamilton which is the city and it has all the nightclubs etc there!! anyway good luck with coming here but you wont need it!!!

Ted Logan Jan 10th 2008 11:36 pm

Hi Kym,

Easy decision, come over for a year, see what its like (make sure you stay for the summer) and if you don't like it go back.

You won't know unless you try, your friends will still be there if you go back.

teambwr47 Jan 10th 2008 11:44 pm

Not sure if you drive but here in NZ you can be far more independent travel wise than maybe you could at a young age in the UK.

Buying and insuring a car as an 18 year old in the UK is not easy as insurnace is so expensive.....over here you can drive without it if you wish to meaning a car is in easier reach of a teenager.

Generally being mobile means more independence if you want it......?

kato33 Jan 11th 2008 9:18 am

Thanks to all you who have replied.

As you may guess, this is my eldest daughter who has posted.

Nici

Am Loolah Jan 11th 2008 9:26 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5772428)
Thanks to all you who have replied.

As you may guess, this is my eldest daughter who has posted.

Nici

Have "mature" 15 and a half year old or friends 22 year old I could ask if that's any help?

Got e-mail from Denise in Rotorua today saying your arrival plans etc - has she been able to assist with anything?

kato33 Jan 11th 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5772449)
Have "mature" 15 and a half year old or friends 22 year old I could ask if that's any help?

Got e-mail from Denise in Rotorua today saying your arrival plans etc - has she been able to assist with anything?

Will contact her today with our arrival news.

Kym Jan 15th 2008 10:37 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5770877)
Not sure if you drive but here in NZ you can be far more independent travel wise than maybe you could at a young age in the UK.

Buying and insuring a car as an 18 year old in the UK is not easy as insurnace is so expensive.....over here you can drive without it if you wish to meaning a car is in easier reach of a teenager.

Generally being mobile means more independence if you want it......?

Thank you so much for replying to my thread. I don't drive yet, but when i move to NZ i will learn from there. Thanks again xx

Kym Jan 15th 2008 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5772449)

Someone to chat to is brilliant, no matter what age!! Thank you xx
:D

Kym Jan 15th 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by shaozzy (Post 5769463)
hey my names kayleigh using my mum's login membership i saw your thing on here and just wanted to say if your going with your parents don't leave it too long as i came here about 6mnths after my parents and i'm now finding it hard to stay in the country due to immigration as when i went for residency i was too old to go under dependant child and that was at 19!! which just means i have to do yearly work permits, and they are so hard to get unless your job you go for is on the skills shortage list!! i'm from the isle of wight in England and i've been here nearly 2years and it was real hard to leave my friends and family, but it's the best decision i've made to come here!! the people are so friendly and you'll make friends in no time. I'm living in a place called Te Awamutu which is a nice town to live in and its about a 20min drive from Hamilton which is the city and it has all the nightclubs etc there!! anyway good luck with coming here but you wont need it!!!

I will most probably move this year sometime, as once my mum goes in Feb i know that will make me realise how much i need her, therefore i'll be straight out there. I'll be 18 this year, so do you think it will make it harder for me too? Coz shes going 3 days after im 18 anyways, so if i went then i would still be the same age. I dont want to go over there and to be told i might not get residency coz once im there i wanna stay. Thank you for replying you can put your email on here if you want and we could write? xxx

karonious Jan 15th 2008 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Kym (Post 5790460)
you can put your email on here if you want and we could write? xxx

Sorry to jump in - please don't post your email on the forum. Keep it private and use PM's, thanks :thumbsup:

kato33 Jan 15th 2008 11:14 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5790474)
Sorry to jump in - please don't post your email on the forum. Keep it private and use PM's, thanks :thumbsup:

Kim.........do a PM hun.
Could be a few nutters on here so don't give your addy out.

Ooooppss........I am the nutter I speak about. Help!!

Kym Jan 15th 2008 11:28 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5790628)
Kim.........do a PM hun.
Could be a few nutters on here so don't give your addy out.

Ooooppss........I am the nutter I speak about. Help!!

Haha, I did realise i shouldnt have put that afterwards lol. HOw come your not on MSN!!!! lol. Did dad get my text through lewis last night? i did tell him to text him. love you xxx :wub:

shaozzy Jan 15th 2008 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kym (Post 5790460)
I will most probably move this year sometime, as once my mum goes in Feb i know that will make me realise how much i need her, therefore i'll be straight out there. I'll be 18 this year, so do you think it will make it harder for me too? Coz shes going 3 days after im 18 anyways, so if i went then i would still be the same age. I dont want to go over there and to be told i might not get residency coz once im there i wanna stay. Thank you for replying you can put your email on here if you want and we could write? xxx

hey Kym will pm ya x