Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi . Anyone living or have any info on Dunedin

Hi . Anyone living or have any info on Dunedin

Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi . Anyone living or have any info on Dunedin

Hello
My partner and myself have just completed our submission of interest. I m a registered nurse and I am now registered with the New Zealand Nursing board. We are really interested in moving to Dunedin.Has anyone got any advice on living there , Schools as we have 3 children of 7, 11, and 18 and general quality of life
Many thanks
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:39 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi . Anyone living or have any info on Dunedin

Hi - I live in Dunedin and put a bit of quick info up on the Hi from Airdrie post.

Some more (hopefully useful) info links:

Local City Councile website

Newcomers to Dunedin Info

The ODT (local paper)

Sports Centre

A couple of local real estate companies that do rentals:
http://www.metrorealty.co.nz/
http://www.edinburghrealty.co.nz
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:49 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Hi . Anyone living or have any info on Dunedin

Originally Posted by southerner
Hi - I live in Dunedin and put a bit of quick info up on the Hi from Airdrie post.

The ODT (local paper)

Sports Centre

hi, we going north, but hi anyway and welcome to the site, ask away, everyone very helpful and supportive. Im a nurse too
Tina. x
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner

The ODT (local paper)

Sports Centre

HI Southerner
Thanks so much for the info myself and my partner shall read it with interest.We just can t wait to start our new life we heard so many good things about Dunedin, Most ex pats want to go up north but we like to be different
many thanks again
Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:32 am
Just Joined

ronnie don is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Hi . Anyone living or have any info on Dunedin

Hi,
I have been living in Dunedin since April 2008...originally from Leicester then moved to Buckingham for my job and was there for 7 years when me and my partner decided to move here to be with his family and most importantly the lifestyle for my kiddies...

At first I regretted the decision I was sooooo homesick and being 7 months pregnant and going from UK winter to Dunedin winter urggh! Now my hormones have settled and in the past year I had a baby, got married, bought a house and a dog and I have never ever been happier..and have no intention of moving back to the uk and in two weeks time its spring!!!! :-)

Below are some websites that may be of interest to you! Good luck with everything

http://www.nzs.com/region/otago/dunedin/education

www.trademe.co.nz

www.seek.co.nz

www.yellowpages.co.nz

www.wises.co.nz

www.finda.co.nz

www.realestate.co.nz
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:20 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - more expats go to Auckland than anywhere else, but there are some interesting migration stats that show there is a net internal migration out of Auckland to other parts of the country, especially to the South Island. So you might be different from most other expats, but you are just jumping ahead a step in the game of finding the best quality of life (imo of course!)

We love it here, everything is very accessible, the facilities and events are fabulous for the city's size, and the local scenery can't help but put a smile on your face.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
hi, we going north, but hi anyway and welcome to the site, ask away, everyone very helpful and supportive. Im a nurse too
Tina. x
Hi Tina
Thanks for the info. Have you a job ready when you arrive? Would love to hear how you are getting on and why you chose New Zealand
Jo
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ronnie don
Hi,
I have been living in Dunedin since April 2008...originally from Leicester then moved to Buckingham for my job and was there for 7 years when me and my partner decided to move here to be with his family and most importantly the lifestyle for my kiddies...

At first I regretted the decision I was sooooo homesick and being 7 months pregnant and going from UK winter to Dunedin winter urggh! Now my hormones have settled and in the past year I had a baby, got married, bought a house and a dog and I have never ever been happier..and have no intention of moving back to the uk and in two weeks time its spring!!!! :-)

Below are some websites that may be of interest to you! Good luck with everything

http://www.nzs.com/region/otago/dunedin/education

www.trademe.co.nz

www.seek.co.nz

www.yellowpages.co.nz

www.wises.co.nz

www.finda.co.nz

www.realestate.co.nz
Thanks for the information As you can imagin this is the biggest decision we will make so any info we would be really grateful for,
What bought you to settle Dunedin?
Many thanks again
Jo and Ray x
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

ronnie don is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Hi . Anyone living or have any info on Dunedin

We decided to move once I got pregnant, we were eventually going to move anyway but the cost of bringing up two children in the UK and trying to buy a bigger house just was not feasible! My OH family are all out here so that made it a lot easier for me! I also came out here to live without even visiting the place....I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that...but saying that its absolutely beaut here and the lifestyle we live now is tops we rented for a year before finally buying as we wanted to make sure it was the right thing to do....we always watched moving downunder when we were in the UK and from seeing Dunedin on that made my mind up...it has so much to offer for families not sure when my kids are in their teens but we will cross that bridge when the time comes....good luck with everything :-)