Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi all. Moving home (maybe)

Hi all. Moving home (maybe)

Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of
Default Hi all. Moving home (maybe)

Hi all.

Thought I'd introduce myself after reading some interesting threads. I'm originally from NZ (Taihape) but moved to the UK in 1996.

Now that we have have a young family (12 week old and a 2 year old) we figure the time is now to leave the UK. Unfortunately the UK has really gone down hill in the last 5-10 years and I want my children to experience growing up in NZ for the space, clean air and life style.

Looking forward to moving 1 of my 2 business back to NZ so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out and how it compares to the UK.

I know NZ has faults as does any country. I've enjoyed living in the UK. It has given me a lot and although I've been cheering for GB in the olympics, NZ is home.

Cheers
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:47 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi all. Moving home (maybe)

Originally Posted by phyns
Hi all.

Thought I'd introduce myself after reading some interesting threads. I'm originally from NZ (Taihape) but moved to the UK in 1996.

Now that we have have a young family (12 week old and a 2 year old) we figure the time is now to leave the UK. Unfortunately the UK has really gone down hill in the last 5-10 years and I want my children to experience growing up in NZ for the space, clean air and life style.

Looking forward to moving 1 of my 2 business back to NZ so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out and how it compares to the UK.

I know NZ has faults as does any country. I've enjoyed living in the UK. It has given me a lot and although I've been cheering for GB in the olympics, NZ is home.

Cheers
Hi, Ive lived in Wanganui fo 5 years and winge about it and NZ alot of the time, but im in the uk at the moment as my mum is very ill been here 1 week another 4 to go and i can say I DONT want to live back in the uk i just feel like i dont belong here anymore everwhere looks grubby and teenagers hanging around parks doing nothing and i just dont like anything of it anymore, and now appreciate New Zealand and cant wait to get home even though im spending precious moments with my mother and trying to have fun while im here too.

Love the Shopping though lol
Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Can anywhere really be home abroad, perhaps not. Good luck with the return.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:39 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Ha welly wanger (Gumboot throwing)
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:36 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Hi, Ive lived in Wanganui fo 5 years and winge about it and NZ alot of the time, but im in the uk at the moment as my mum is very ill been here 1 week another 4 to go and i can say I DONT want to live back in the uk i just feel like i dont belong here anymore everwhere looks grubby and teenagers hanging around parks doing nothing and i just dont like anything of it anymore, and now appreciate New Zealand and cant wait to get home even though im spending precious moments with my mother and trying to have fun while im here too.

Love the Shopping though lol
My wife, who lived in Sweden, was the same. It was hard for her to adjust to life here, English is her third language and the Kiwi accent was incomprehensible to her in the beginning. Also we struggled a bit at the bottom of the ladder when we first arrived, but she struggled through.

There was the inevitable comparisons with life back home, especially when the going got tough.

Then we took a trip back to Europe and the Sweden she was missing only really existed in her head and she had a stark reminders of why she wanted to leave in the first place.

Since we have had our kids, she appreciates our life even more here in NZ.

But she does miss the shopping in Sweden very much.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:50 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phyns
Hi all.

Cheers
Just wanted to say hi. I'm a kiwi too, moved to the UK in 1986 and back to NZ April 2011. Feel free to ask questions. I think both countries are fab, and I could easily live in either. The UK has gone downhill IMO but NZ has suffered too.