Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Here is my subjective view on NZ V UK

Wikiposts

Here is my subjective view on NZ V UK

Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here is my subjective view on NZ V UK

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
I think your getting the wrong Idea. If you live in NZ you are payed a NZ wage and you pay NZ prices. If you live in the UK, you are paid a UK wage and you pay UK prices. So think in those terms not in yours. Your not going to work in NZ and then fly to the Uk everyday to live in your pad and pay double the price are you.

If you pay $500 in NZ think of that as the same as 500 pounds stirling in the UK so you dont get muddled up because you are on a UK wage not a NZ wage. So if you pay 700 for accommodation in the UK thats not 1400 pounds stirling, thats 700 pounds stirling because your on a UK wage not a NZ wage. So if you compare prices right: if a 2-bed flat if 700 pounds stirling in the UK and the same sized flat in Auckland is going for $700 your not paying 350 pounds stirling your paying $700 because you will be earning a NZ wage not a UK wage. Thats how you compare. Not by the currency rate.

So if im paying $1260 for my flat p/m in Auckland. And a flat costs half that in the UK im not paying 1260 pounds stirling am I because im not on a NZ wage, ill be on a UK wage.
Sorry, but you really aren't very clever are you?
You can't compare just the numbers unless you earn the same number of dollars in NZ as you earned pounds in UK. And if you're doing this, you're probably better off getting a new job or going back to the UK. It's ludicrous to compare a $700 flat in NZ to a 700 pound flat in UK.
You can only compare based on what you earn - so if I earn $116k instead of 50k pounds, then a $1000 flat here is equivalent to a 431 pound flat in the UK. Except that a $1000 flat in Auckland is probably much nicer than a 431 pound flat in London

PS Janek - pmsl
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by janek
Less of the attitude. How about you read it. So what your saying is if your earning 50k in the uk your going to earn 112k in NZ. No your not. Stop and think about it.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Sorry, but you really aren't very clever are you?
You can't compare just the numbers unless you earn the same number of dollars in NZ as you earned pounds in UK. And if you're doing this, you're probably better off getting a new job or going back to the UK. It's ludicrous to compare a $700 flat in NZ to a 700 pound flat in UK.
You can only compare based on what you earn - so if I earn $116k instead of 50k pounds, then a $1000 flat here is equivalent to a 431 pound flat in the UK. Except that a $1000 flat in Auckland is probably much nicer than a 431 pound flat in London

PS Janek - pmsl
But you are not earning a NZ wage in the UK are you so how an earth can you compair it the way you want to do it. If you work in the UK and earn 50k your not going to earn double that in NZ are you because you will be on a NZ wage NOT a UK wage. Got it?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the NHS is pathetic even though its free. The waiting list is way too long for things. Bupa is great though.

I think our OP has made some good observations.

I disagree with the above criticism of the NHS, I always had a very good service, and it's free at the point of entry. No necessity for BUPA. I've not used NZ Health system as yet, but it's certainly not free.

I too have rental much higher than in the UK. Admittedly I'm in Auckland and I wasn't renting in London.

Valid point about banking, I didn't realize you needed a separate account for a Debit Card, sounds ridiculous, so what if you've got internet banking.

Not mentioned, but the fact that car insurance is not compulsary, is frankly ridiculous in a first world country, I had incredible problems getting a decent settlement when knocked off my bike by a car last year.

Housing standards, simply don't compare.

For all that and more, for me at the moment the pros outweigh the cons.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
I think our OP has made some good observations.

I disagree with the above criticism of the NHS, I always had a very good service, and it's free at the point of entry. No necessity for BUPA. I've not used NZ Health system as yet, but it's certainly not free.

I too have rental much higher than in the UK. Admittedly I'm in Auckland and I wasn't renting in London.

Valid point about banking, I didn't realize you needed a separate account for a Debit Card, sounds ridiculous, so what if you've got internet banking.

Not mentioned, but the fact that car insurance is not compulsary, is frankly ridiculous in a first world country, I had incredible problems getting a decent settlement when knocked off my bike by a car last year.

Housing standards, simply don't compare.

For all that and more, for me at the moment the pros outweigh the cons.

Banks will also charge you $20 for the debit card. If you have online banking you need to transfer money onto your debit card. If you are a resident you will get a debit card on the same account for free. But if your not a resident you need you have a debit card on a seperate account. Its like pre-pay for mobiles.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yup ! . That is how it is if you are travelling for the most part. Load the DB / CR card and away you go. Leastways that is how it was for us.
If you want overseas debt , expect it to be checked.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Yup ! . That is how it is if you are travelling for the most part. Load the DB / CR card and away you go. Leastways that is how it was for us.
If you want overseas debt , expect it to be checked.
Here is an interesting thing. My cousin went to live in OZ when I was their. He is banrupted in the UK yet he can get a car on finance and have credit cards and get a mortage in OZ as the credit check is non existent because your not on an electoral role within OZ.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:24 pm
`

I meant if you were travelling legit.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I hate coffee. Im picky remember. .

loving and hating coffee......is

Nothing to do with you are picky or not picky mate.........

I must be pickier than you possibly . but a Picky person (can) also loves coffee *too* much .......an extreme coffee drinker like myself. honestly, I do love {coffee & Beethoven} more than anything else in the world! for that reason I don't need a partner or stupid boysss........ it doesn't bother me really.....haha..

I am not a black coffee lover however, (just recently) I get a long black in the afternoons at Clarks cafe - it's a very unusual event for me.. anyhow It's absolutely fantastic ppl's coffee.. While having brunch at Leuven on Sundays, the coffee there is really FANTASTIC too. Having great coffee is one of the most important reasons .... me not wanting to leave Welly.......

*Coffee - Black as Hell, Strong as Death, Sweet as Love

*Beethoven - There are few times, few subjects, where I cannot find words to express myself. Where Ludwig Van Beethoven is concerned, I am at a loss for words, his music has done more than just inspire me. In some of my darkest hours it has comforted me, the first music Christopher Robin ever heard was Beethoven, so during my happiest moments it is there also. There will never be words to explain my adoration for this man and his music, so I will not try, I will simply compile collaborative examples of words he has written and that others wrote of him in tribute. You are remembered Herr Maestro. Nil Desperandum.

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 29th 2009 at 11:29 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

I fear I have no idea what is going on in this thread anymore...

Visa Debit cards, Coffee, Plains Traynes and Ottomobeels, NHS vs ACC, £1 = $1, not to mention chups on shoulders, unhappy campers and expensive rents in Auckland compared to Knightsbridge....

Glad nobody has mentioned the Right Hand Turn Rule yet....
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:39 pm
`

and what about that Right Hand Turn rule?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irnbru14

Visa Debit cards, Coffee, Plains Traynes and Ottomobeels, NHS vs ACC, £1 = $1, not to mention chups on shoulders, unhappy campers and expensive rents in Auckland compared to Knightsbridge....

Oh yeah I forgot about that. That has to be one of the most daftest rules ever. Causes so much grief on the road.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS here
and what about that Right Hand Turn rule?
No one knows when to turn right thats the problem
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14

I was laughing my head off while reading this !

You mentioned the coffee first I guess.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an interesting thing. My cousin went to live in OZ when I was their. He is banrupted in the UK yet he can get a car on finance and have credit cards and get a mortage in OZ as the credit check is non existent because your not on an electoral role within OZ.
More nonsense.

Australia and the UK are two completely separate nations, with separate legal systems. All bankruptcies, debts etc are established under English law and are totally irrelevant (and legally unenforceable) in other countries (apart from the EU)

The fact he got credit was solely down to the fact he has no adverse credit in Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.