Help needed..

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of
Default Help needed..

Hi all,
well all my well made plans and research for living in the most beautiful South Island appear to have been blown out the window mostly due to work prospects. So now we have to have a rethink and have been offerd work oportunituies with CHild and Youth services in three possible areas. This is where you lovely people come in as all my research was focused on the South and these opertunities are in the North. So i have been asked to apply for a variety of positions in three areas, Orewa, West Auckland and North Shore, Any advice on these areas and areas that come under these areas would be greatly apreciated. I am a Social worker by trade and if anything like the uk would probably cover a fairly wide area.

So basically i need help with what the areas are like, tips for fab schools for a 16year old at the end of her GCSEs and everything else.

many thanx
Jacki
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help needed..

Well it depends on what you like and what you can afford.
Orewa is a lovely beach resort town, not ritzy, but laid back with lovely beaches and hot pools up the road at Waiwera. The traffic can get a bit much on the weekends, but it would be my first pick. Not sure what house prices are like, though and I don't think there's much of a shopping centre. It is out of town, but I think it would only be under 1 hour drive to Auckland. North Shore is a desirable place to live. It is generally a little more expensive and you have to cross the Auckland Harbour Bridge to get to the city,if you ever need to go, but it is nice. West Auckland is definitely cheaper for housing. Some would say it's redneck country, but there are some lovely places to live out West and you are half an hour from beaches, bush walks etc with wineries and orchards on your doorstep. Good shopping centres too.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm obviously biased because I live here, but Orewa is a great spot. Only downside for me is the commute into Auckland, but this is something I chose to put up with in order to live in such a nice place. If you're working here, then you won't have that problem
Depends a bit on your family situation - North Shore eg Takapuna better for pubs, clubs etc, but more expensive and more crowded. IMHO Westie land has not much to recommend it other than cheap houses, but some people love it there
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:23 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving to Whangaparaoa, on the peninsula near Orewa. It is a great area with some superb schools and safe beaches. House prices are $400k plus but you are generally only 5 mins from a beach. Prices maybe a little lower the further from the beach. There are some shopping areas, like The Plaza but it depends what you want to buy. For schools, there's Whangaparaoa College and Orewa College. Travel time to Auckland is 30 mins off peak and 60 mins in peak or you can catch the Gulf Harbour ferry straight into Auckland

http://www.orewabeach.co.nz/ and http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/

If you head West, beware of the strong currents on the West Coast beaches. These are strong and suitable for surfers and strong swimmers. We looked at this area first but avoided it due to 2 kids and the worry it would cause when they were near to the beach, with mates..

But then, what you like and what I do.................
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

North Shore and live in Albany. We were just looking at going up there for a bit and find you can rent homes there from about $500 and up per week. It is a good area with good schools.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Thanx guys, i knew id get some great advice,i have been looking at Orewa and it looks like it would suit are lifestyles better than the west and appears slightly quieter than Northshore. Do any of you guys have teenagers and if so how did they find it? my daughter is very keen to come but i worry about her meeting people and new friends. i have found a couple of music groups in Auckland so hoping that will be a start. does anyone know if either of the schools do the cambridge exams?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by killercat
Thanx guys, i knew id get some great advice,i have been looking at Orewa and it looks like it would suit are lifestyles better than the west and appears slightly quieter than Northshore. Do any of you guys have teenagers and if so how did they find it? my daughter is very keen to come but i worry about her meeting people and new friends. i have found a couple of music groups in Auckland so hoping that will be a start. does anyone know if either of the schools do the cambridge exams?
Hi best of luck with what you decide - i'm in whangaparaoa which is close to Orewa(father in law lives there), and i have to say Orewa is really lovely. I have in laws and 2 cousins out west - the in laws live in a crap part and i dont like it at all, would live there EVER but my cousins live in a really lovely part and have a lovely life there so I guess its more a fact of what you can afford really. From what I know, schools for a teenager out this way are great and the best one being Red Beach. Best of luck again!