Baby sitting!!

Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of
Default Baby sitting!!

Never having used a baby sitter (my social life died the day the children arrived ) here or in the UK. How much would you expect to pay a 16 year old to baby sit? My daughter has been asked to look after an 8 year old and a 9 year old and we have no idea how much to ask per hour. She obviously does not want to appear greedy, yet wants enough to make it worth while.

Thanks
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby sitting!!

My daughter charges $10 per hour plus a lift or paid for taxi home.

HTH
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
Never having used a baby sitter (my social life died the day the children arrived ) here or in the UK. How much would you expect to pay a 16 year old to baby sit? My daughter has been asked to look after an 8 year old and a 9 year old and we have no idea how much to ask per hour. She obviously does not want to appear greedy, yet wants enough to make it worth while.

Thanks
Or you could use the going rate of a 4 pack of woodies ........ hahaha
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Thanks Am Loolah.

Alan, hoping she not started smoking yet as they don't have a bike shed at the school.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:52 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Am Loolah.

Alan, hoping she not started smoking yet as they don't have a bike shed at the school.
ummm Woodies = Woodstock (Cola / Bourbon mix) not Woodbines (you're showing your age!)
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
I give my 16 year old niece $10 an hour plus endless treats and she usually has no credit on her phone so we end up giving her $20 phone credit too plus a lift here and home (an hour each way) so we only use her if we are really stuck!!! I think its pretty standard to pay by the hour as thats how most day babysitting is done.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

They should do it for nowt !!!! when i was a kid we walked 3 miles in the snow with no shoes to babysit as well as doing a 14 hour day down t pit,

These kids dont know there born

Neil
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

hahaha wooly_cow am I really that old? Where have the years gone?

They shut the pits round us . Did try to get the girls into the mills but there was a waiting list. Then we moved here .
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
They should do it for nowt !!!! when i was a kid we walked 3 miles in the snow with no shoes to babysit as well as doing a 14 hour day down t pit,

These kids dont know there born

Neil
your a nutter
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

kiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nice

hi we pay our babysitter $40 usually from 7-11ish and we also give her a lift home. we also make sure we have chocolate crisps and pop in, thought it was a bit expensive but looking on here it seems the going rate.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Gulp. I'm out of date. Haven't needed a babysitter for about four years, but I only used to pay $20 if home before midnight, assuming we left about 7.30 and $10 or $20 extra if home after midnight. I never used to invite them to spend the night, because I hated it when I was a babysitter. All I can say is that if you get a good one keep him/her happy because they are hard to find. We had a teenage boy who was great with our three boys and they adored him (read - happy to play on the playstation until he heard the car in the drive probably). We've had a couple of great gals, who unfortunately grew up and moved away. However, the ones I really resent paying much are the ones who sit on the phone all night, leave the kids to it, and tell them to put themselves to bed. No story. No tuck in.

Just one point to the OP though. I've never had a babysitter tell me how much they want, which is not to say you can't. I just think that for the first time it's best to take what they give, and if it's peanuts then don't agree to babysit again.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

kiwinow, the people who want the babysitting have never needed to pay as they had parents who would do it for them, but they no longer have them around. They asked my daughter how much she wanted and she did not know what the going rate was. We said we would ask around to see what other people pay.