Help My Mum ...

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:40 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help My Mum ...

She's coming to visit for just the 3 months ...

Couple of queries;

Should she open a bank account here for the stay or use a UK one that allows her to withdraw cash on Eftpos here - I think (Sarah?) mentioned Nationwide or something?

Anyone able to recommend any tour operators here if she wants to explore other areas?

Should we hire her a car or not expose her to the roads? (She's mid-70's?)

Anyone want a babysitter?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:09 pm

Default Re: Help My Mum ...

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

Couple of queries;

Should she open a bank account here for the stay or use a UK one that allows her to withdraw cash on Eftpos here - I think (Sarah?) mentioned Nationwide or something?

Anyone able to recommend any tour operators here if she wants to explore other areas?

Talking to myself yet again - quelle suprise - anyone else got the oldies visiting over Christmas? I feel an expats parents get together coming on ...
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:16 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Talking to myself yet again - quelle suprise - anyone else got the oldies visiting over Christmas? I feel an expats parents get together coming on ...
yep got the same myself she'll (65) be here but with old man (72) (and mums sister (68) coming for a month at the end)......
Nationwide is the card and not sure about hire cars as the insurance could be a problem, but if you buy a car who needs insurance!!!!!!!
tell me about babysitting..................
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:18 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

as far as the car hire goes I now recall that we get holiday autos (thrify in NZ) to do it for my dad and he's been ok even when over 70.......
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
yep got the same myself she'll (65) be here but with old man (72) (and mums sister (68) coming for a month at the end)......
Nationwide is the card and not sure about hire cars as the insurance could be a problem, but if you buy a car who needs insurance!!!!!!!
tell me about babysitting..................
Thanks Ian, was pretty sure it was said bank, she's getting a little stressed already ... she's not having my car so may buy her old banger -or low slung impreza with 12" exhaust for comedy effect?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:19 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Thanks Ian, was pretty sure it was said bank, she's getting a little stressed already ... she's not having my car so may buy her old banger -or low slung impreza with 12" exhaust for comedy effect?
yeah make sure the exhausts are phat..........
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

We still have HSBC bank accounts in the UK and use them over here at all the cash machines.

I would buy her a car and then flog it when/if she leaves.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

My Mum (70) & Brother are coming for a Month over christmas & New Year.

As we haven't been here long and not had much time to travel, we too are open to ideas for places to vist, etc.....

Which opens another thread.....We are hoping to hire a camper van at the end of the Month for the school holidays....where is a must to visit????

Should we make plans to go North or South of Auckland?

Cheers
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Couple of queries;

My mum was out last xmas for 3 months - I wish you luck.
She brought some cash with her and used her normal Lloyds bank debit card to withdraw cash as and when needed - caused no problems.
Sent her off on a tour of Northland with Kirra tours - a very good trip by all accounts but not cheap.
She is in late 70's - borrowed our spare car and no probs (unless you count the small ding reversing out of the garage)
Sorry but no babies to sit
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of queries;

Nationwide is the best - ATM is free, Credit Card is free also no charge for cash advances using the credit card. You could also access her account for her on-line if your mum set it up before she left the UK.

As for Insurance you could try SAGA but I believe it is expensive - Tescos or Boots may offer a better deal. If she could shop around using the Internet or maybe get a friend / relative to do this this would be best. Try the link below

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/Trav...surance&bbkid=[travel+insurance]&x