Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help advice needed

Help advice needed

Old May 7th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Help advice needed

Really could do with some advice.

I am currently going through an stni 137 visa sponsorship with australia. This looks likely to take the best part of this year to finalise.....only trouble is in the meantime I have just been offered a job in auckland starting in august....what should I do?

I went to OZ on a working holiday 6 years ago and planned to go back this year (I retrained and needed to get 4 years work experience) This really is my last chance to go because of my age.

Is it fair to take the job in auckland when I probably won't end up staying? Also, I would have to come over and leave all my stuff behind until i found out where I would be staying. Has anyoe done this before and did they find it unsettling?

Any advice would be great
Old May 7th 2007, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help advice needed

Hi Freckles,
Almost certainly, from the employer's point of view, it is not fair. How much investment will the employer have made in you by the time you have settled into the job and become a positive asset?

I don't mean to put a downer on your plans but I've heard it said and read elsewhere that NZ employers are beginning to become disgruntled by british employees who take jobs, just to get themselves out to NZ, and then leave at the drop of a hat on to "better things" leaving the employer high and dry.

IMHO it cannot be fair, unless you are up front with the NZ employer and can committ to them for a benefical period of time.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but as said, it's only my opinion.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old May 7th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Thanks for being so honest.....to be fair, you have actually hit the nail on the head in terms of my own personal opinion, guess that's why it was such a dilema.

I have spoken to my dad at length today and think i'm gonna hold out for the oz thing
Old May 7th 2007, 4:15 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Im with Leoghlou
Old May 8th 2007, 12:27 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

You could be upfront with the NZ employer and say you're working towards living in Oz and see what the reaction is? They may be glad to have you even for short period of time.

Good luck with the Oz plans.