Reload this Page >

Hello - my first post

Hello - my first post

Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:01 am
Just Joined

leelob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello - my first post

Hi all,
My husband and I lived in New Zealand in 03 to 05 after getting a job, visa's etc sorted out, our daughter was born over there. We moved back to the UK for family reasons and now after having our 2nd child feel it is the better place to have the family life. My husband is a mechanic so we are looking at the Skilled Working visa, and we are looking at Tauranga area.
I was wondering if anyone can give us some advice on moving with kids? Does anyone know of any jobs available!! (A big ask I know but like everyone knows a job offer gives us a better chance of the EOI.)
As we have done the move before when it was just the 2 of us we know about moving furniture etc and how hard it can be leaving family behind.
Any advice/help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Lisa
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:58 am
Just Joined

bubsnbabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello - my first post

Getting work as a mechanic is tough in most countries, and it will be no different in New Zealand. It's not really a hot trade to have as most towns in NZ already have their established mechanic contacts.

I'd say the best thing to do would be to re-train in a new career, and then head out there.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

You could look online, try seek.nz, trademe etc...i've seen mechanic positions advertised online throughout nz - im an auto electrician but mechanical work is out there. Try contacting companies direct by email or even better by phone. Also be willing to look elsewhere for work other than tauranga, keep your options open. Good luck and welcome to British Expats, plenty of genuine & helpful people on here.

Paul & Dani

Last edited by nicorsts1; Oct 8th 2010 at 4:05 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Lisa, I can't help you with your particular questions but just wanted to welcome you to our little NZ corner of BE.

Happy posting
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by leelob
Hi all,
My husband and I lived in New Zealand in 03 to 05 after getting a job, visa's etc sorted out, our daughter was born over there. We moved back to the UK for family reasons and now after having our 2nd child feel it is the better place to have the family life. My husband is a mechanic so we are looking at the Skilled Working visa, and we are looking at Tauranga area.
I was wondering if anyone can give us some advice on moving with kids? Does anyone know of any jobs available!! (A big ask I know but like everyone knows a job offer gives us a better chance of the EOI.)
As we have done the move before when it was just the 2 of us we know about moving furniture etc and how hard it can be leaving family behind.
Any advice/help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Lisa
Hi and welcome to our little NZ forum guys.

Fair play to you for going through the process again.

Perhaps start a new thread in the main NZ forum to ask about settling with children .

Motor Mechanic is one of the few skilled trades which is still in shortage here , so that's great news for you. It appear on the Immediate Shortage list and as you know that means that any NZ employer is free to offer you a job without having to prove that there is no NZ resident of citizen for that job.

If you are thinking to submit an EOI for PR then you won;t be able to claim the bonus points at this time as the trade doesn't appear on the Long Term Shortage list ...unless. you are also diesel mechanic....in which case it does.

Try Trade Me to look at vacancies and perhaps Seek

As you've been here before, you'll know it's boots on the ground that count for more when trying to get a job offer and if you can't be here , then a firm start date.

As Nicorsts stated, that age old method of blanket covering any and all possible Nz employers may turn up some interest. It's what we did before we arrived.

Good luck
and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.