Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Changes for ECE teachers

Changes for ECE teachers

Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changes for ECE teachers

"Did you know that in November 2010, primary school teachers will be recognised as qualified to work in Early Childhood centres?"

This is on an advert from Kidicorp, anyone know if they are finally going to recognise UK Primary teachers as able to teach in Early Childhood Education?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Changes for ECE teachers

OOHHH, that's interesting! Might be good for me if things get really tough.

I've not found any work yet, not much advertised in HB at the moment, I'm getting a little frustrated at being at home now.
I even applied for an agency for relieving work, the advert said 'experience with children necessary, but qualifications not needed.' I explained that I had 2 years teaching experience and 5 years with other childrens services. I didn't get a response!!

Onwards and upwards though
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:43 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I am interested to see how things change too - I got told by an early childhood recruiter that I should 'go and get some voluntary experience'...um, I have had voluntary experience in childcare for the last 20 years, helping raise 3 younger siblings, babysitting, running holiday and youth clubs, in girl guides, during teacher training and my most recent school based job was as a PAID early childhood teacher...

Sometimes I think they just glance at the top of your cv, see that you don't fit the cookie cutter image and throw it away. I've found Manpower are a LOT more flexible regarding this and they have added me to their books but not actually had any work with them yet (unless you count having to fill out no less than THREE different forms for police checks - they keep giving me the wrong ones...odd!!)
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Received this today from TeachNZ, may be of help...
"Good morning ,
Your e-mail to the TeachNZ website has been forwarded to me to reply to.
You note that you have heard that Primary teachers will be able to teach in ECE centres from November this year and asked whether this would apply to UK trained teachers as well.

The item that you have read is a little misleading.
Training providers have been invited to submit details of proposed details and costs to provide short duration courses for primary teachers to extend their qualifications to include ECE teaching. Once a course is approved, it would be available for all registered primary teachers who wish to participate in it.

As the details and locations have not yet been finalised it is not possible to give you an absolute answer to the points that you raise. Currently, people holding a work permit who wish to undertake study at a university are required to pay "International " fees which are considerably higher than the fees for Domestic students. This reflects the subsidy which is paid by the NZ Govt which is only available for NZ citizens or holders of PR.

I am not sure where you are writing from or whether you hold PR at the moment but I anticipate the same fee criteria being applied to theses course (when they are available) as applies to existing courses at the moment.

If you have completed the NZ registration process (and the NZQA assessment is a part of this) you should be able to participate in the courses when they start but I am not sure what cost structure would apply.

I hope this is of use to you. Do not hesitate to contact me if there are further questions that I can assist you with. "

So I guess it's a case of watch this space!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:46 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

hmm that's weird - sounds like the typical roundabout reply bureacratic types excel at...

I don't know where I heard about changes now so can't go back and check it but it was more along the lines of centres being able to employ teachers whose quals were not specific to ECE...

Will have to wait and see...