Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Heating solutions: What would you do?

Heating solutions: What would you do?

Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating solutions: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Not experience per se, but T and I looked at the same ourselves when we were looking to build.

Has anyone here actually GOT hot water central heating? If so, how do you power yours, and how much of your house do you heat?
Thanks for that. There was an interesting talk on National radio about wood pellets yesterday , sounds like there could be a great future for the product , and yes hopefully the prices will drop.
Good question about the hot water central heating.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
......I found it interesting that the common assumption that UK's fondness of burning fossil fuels to heat houses is the only right way is being challenged - and that the kiwis' love of gathering and burning wood may not be so backwards after all. Worth noting though that there is an emphasis on high-efficiency, low-emission wood burners, not the smokey old boxes that give ChCh its bad air.
haha couldn't be NZ and must be the UK as he would be splitting wood in the autumn and winter to keep warm.......as many contributors to this forum and other similar ones have done so down the years.......
Maybe there needs to be some system of compulsory testing of these appliances and their flues in urban/residential areas to prevent smokey old boxes from contributing to poor air quality and/or domestic fires (the real ones that destroy property and damage the environment). But that would be too much for the current administration.....???
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Thanks for that. There was an interesting talk on National radio about wood pellets yesterday , sounds like there could be a great future for the product , and yes hopefully the prices will drop.
Good question about the hot water central heating.
I'm in Canada; when I had my house built I had a pellet stove put in but I put in a backup electric heating system as well. I was assured the pellet stove was able to heat more than my small house so first year in I used nothing but pellets and wasn't happy with it, second winter I used nothing but electricity (which is cheap in Canada) and found it heated better and worked out about the same as the pellet stove in cost with less bother. I only use the pellet stove for ambience nowadays.

PS-also take into consideration power outages as pellet stoves need power to run the fan and auger.

Last edited by IngStina; Jun 11th 2009 at 3:48 am.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IngStina
.....PS-also take into consideration power outages as pellet stoves need power to run the fan and auger.
good point, and that's probably a deal-breaker as there are plenty of these in many parts of NZ and the last thing you need is no power and no heat
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IngStina
I'm in Canada; when I had my house built I had a pellet stove put in but I put in a backup electric heating system as well. I was assured the pellet stove was able to heat more than my small house so first year in I used nothing but pellets and wasn't happy with it, second winter I used nothing but electricity (which is cheap in Canada) and found it heated better and worked out about the same as the pellet stove in cost with less bother. I only use the pellet stove for ambience nowadays.

PS-also take into consideration power outages as pellet stoves need power to run the fan and auger.
Thanks for the info IngStina. Im thinking more of a pellet run boiler for heating water for radiators and underfloor heating. Unfortunately electricity in NZ is very expensive and I suspect prices are only going to steadily increase. We would also consider having solar panels to use in conjuction with the boiler. Just out of interest, schools are beginning to replace their coal boilers with wood pellet run ones. Lots to think about when planning heating for a new house. All advice appreciated.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lardyl
good point, and that's probably a deal-breaker as there are plenty of these in many parts of NZ and the last thing you need is no power and no heat
Just found this on the BANZ website

Question 10: What happens if there is an electricity power cut? Will my boiler still work?
Ans: The boiler needs mains electricity to run the fan, pumps and fuel feed equipment. Less than 0.5 kW is needed. Some models have their own back-up power supply in the event of a mains power failure but it would be possible to run the fire using a basic 12 volt battery and current inverter.

Thats encouraging ! More research underway...
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:44 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, schools are beginning to replace their coal boilers with wood pellet run ones. Lots to think about when planning heating for a new house. All advice appreciated.
Last year T's old school ripped out all their rads and each classroom got a heat pump. By all accounts the teachers love it, as it helps keep the kids 'chilled out' in summer as well as toasty in winter. I suppose each situation is different eh?

I don't think you'd go far wrong with pellet in the long term, but with the movements forward in cost vs benefits, of these highly efficient electrical systems, you can't seem to go too far wrong there either.

I must be getting 'assimilated' into being a kiwi, as I now kind of think that I was spoilt and wasteful in the UK with my energy use.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wiz'n'Ton;either. Shame we never got to try it out in practice!

Has anyone here actually GOT hot water central heating? If so, how do you power yours, and how much of your house do you heat?[/QUOTE]

Yes we have euro gas CH, got it fitted about 8 minutes after we walked thru' the door!! Heats 16 rads (the water has its own boiler) and in summer ourbills are about $80 per month without heating and during the winter with heating about $220. Its a very good system that works even better in conjunction with a wood burner, 4-5 dehumidifiers and all round argon filled double glazing. Anyone interested have a look at www.savona.co.nz re central heating.

I will admit it id expensive to run but what price comfort. Worth every cent in my book. AND it only cost $9200 in April 2005. Not bad for a very tricky reto fit.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Last year T's old school ripped out all their rads and each classroom got a heat pump. By all accounts the teachers love it, as it helps keep the kids 'chilled out' in summer as well as toasty in winter. I suppose each situation is different eh?

Here is a link to school boiler conversions (well someone might be interested!)
http://www.frostmaintenance.co.nz/in...pellet-boilers

Im becoming quite keen on the idea, but we will keep our options open.

Genesis , is there a big difference in argon filled double glazing compared to regular double glazing ? Thanks.

The Savona website is helpful - thx.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Jun 11th 2009 at 4:32 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to school boiler conversions (well someone might be interested!)
http://www.frostmaintenance.co.nz/in...pellet-boilers

Im becoming quite keen on the idea, but we will keep our options open.

Genesis , is there a big difference in argon filled double glazing compared to regular double glazing ? Thanks.

The Savona website is helpful - thx.
Yes apparently so. The regular stuff just has a vacuum, my stuff is filled with argon which apparently makes it more thermally efficient. We also opted for whats called 'low E' glass, this apparently also really improves the efficiency of the units. The difference in our home was well worth the expenditure...please note I had regular non argon non 'low E' DG fitted to our conservatory which was done first...the extra money was well spent on the more efficient stuff as there really is a difference. Would only recommend it if you intend staying in your house long term. It is expensive and I doubt if you would recoup the expenditure upon sale point. We have invested big time in this place to get it just right for us BUT we did it on a 20 year plus 'lets stay here plan'. I loathe crying windows..for me it was worth it just to have a home that's not like an aquarium anymore!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:08 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
What I did next was to open the doors and run a pedestal fan on oscillate and in natural mode. The other rooms weren't any warmer than with the transfer unit, but the room in which the fire was situated felt more even.
Hi sparkie

We're in the process of installing a simple ceiling fan in our hallway. Our situation is that we have several heatpumps, and really high (14 foot) ceilings) and our advice has been to get some of the warmer air from ceiling height down to door height and it will more easily warm a couple of extra kids' bedrooms. Bought the fan (on special for $100) and will be about $200 to install. They say the fan will cost the same as a normal lightbulb to run, whereas our winter leccy bills are $300-$400.

I'd be interested in your views on whether this should (or could) work.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:18 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, if you like living in your home then I'd be investing in better insulation before better heating. We spent the best part of $50k on a new roof, woollen insulation and heatpumps when we bought our place 5 years ago (a villa around 100 years old). On the negative side of the equation we took the carpets up in about 5 rooms because we love having natural floorboards. Have just put foil insulation in under one side of the house (where access is easiest, and that seems to be making a difference.

Our sash windows can't be easily double glazed, but fortunately the house came with excellent floor length (and thick) curtains. House already has great decor so we have not had much opportunity to put in wall insulation, although we did do two bathrooms. We have a very old moisture master (like a DVS) system which we sometimes use if its particularly damp, but most times thats not a problem.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Genesis
Y Would only recommend it if you intend staying in your house long term. It is expensive and I doubt if you would recoup the expenditure upon sale point. We have invested big time in this place to get it just right for us BUT we did it on a 20 year plus 'lets stay here plan'.
Thanks Genesis. Yep we are looking at the long term like yourselves. We're going to do this once and do it well.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:49 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos to Genesis - geez mate, I don't think the cold would even dare try to creep under the door whilst your back was turned! Do you grow cactii by any chance?

As for us, well the big rip-out starts tomorrow.

Went to a house yesterday which is very similar to ours, except it was warm! They had done exactly what we're doing now - and have not looked back. Fingers crossed ours will be just as brilliant when it's finished!