Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Its a bit unfair saying that 'NZ is not a fun place'......how would you know? Did you go everywhere? We have LOADsS OF fun and we live in Palmerston North. Perchance you didn't look hard enough?
And I have to say, you sound quite fun - maybe we could meet up when I return next year - you can show me the delights of palmerston! (Seeing as i mainly saw the inside of someone's aunt's house and the bottom of a glass of wine last time.)

Are you an NZer or an expat sampling the lifestyle down under?

By the way, I adore Katchafire, I loved Stingray bay and there was another thing i liked but can' think of it at this moment...
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

Its a bit unfair saying that 'NZ is not a fun place'......how would you know? Did you go everywhere? We have LOADsS OF fun and we live in Palmerston North. Perchance you didn't look hard enough?
I've remembered the other thing - Tegal Smoked Chicken - although i have since heard what they do to the chickens and now I'm not so sure
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
And I have to say, you sound quite fun - maybe we could meet up when I return next year - you can show me the delights of palmerston! (Seeing as i mainly saw the inside of someone's aunt's house and the bottom of a glass of wine last time.)

Are you an NZer or an expat sampling the lifestyle down under?

By the way, I adore Katchafire, I loved Stingray bay and there was another thing i liked but can' think of it at this moment...
Thank you Mazi, I would be delighted to entertain you and the OH when you return. I would love to hear of your life in Italy..one of my most favourite countries. We had our honeymoon there....Florence, Como and Venice..as declared I have zero culture but just adore the place. In the perfect world..utterly perfect I would live in Italy or the like..but with limited linguistic skills etc an english speaking society is a must!!

Palmy is great for families..little culture I am afraid..however we do have an art gallery and a small museum. I do miss the proximity to europe but little people like me are want to suffer compromise. we have a life style that we could not emulate in the UK...ever. I do miss much of the old country..but for the greater good of the family unit.....When will you be over to see us then? We are in the UK for a few weeks next year. BTW..what is Katchafire? And where's Stingray Bay?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

I think what we have learnt on this thread is that we all have different requirements from life, our environment and careers. I think the thing we all have in common is that we have the choice to explore the world and find new experiences if we just give it a go, there are alot of people in this world that have no choices and cannot make changes to their lives to make them better.

As long as we are getting what we all individually want out of life, I think we can all sleep easier at night knowing that what other people think about the way we live our lives is not actually of any significance.

PS I love the outdoors and sports so I'm happy with the prospect of NZ.

Lots of love and happiness to you all wherever you are!

G
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Thank you Mazi, I would be delighted to entertain you and the OH when you return. I would love to hear of your life in Italy..one of my most favourite countries. We had our honeymoon there....Florence, Como and Venice..as declared I have zero culture but just adore the place. In the perfect world..utterly perfect I would live in Italy or the like..but with limited linguistic skills etc an english speaking society is a must!!

Palmy is great for families..little culture I am afraid..however we do have an art gallery and a small museum. I do miss the proximity to europe but little people like me are want to suffer compromise. we have a life style that we could not emulate in the UK...ever. I do miss much of the old country..but for the greater good of the family unit.....When will you be over to see us then? We are in the UK for a few weeks next year. BTW..what is Katchafire? And where's Stingray Bay?
Do they speak English in NZ? I hadn't noticed...!!!!! (a JOKE) I came to Italy knowing no Italian but they do give you lessons. And it's a fun challenge.

I don't especially miss the UK and before going to NZ had never considered myself a true Brit but never was I more aware of my Englishness than there (in NZ). I too could not have emulated the lifestyle i had in NZ in the UK, but it was not the lifestyle I wanted - I preferred my little corner of London with it's madness and car crashes outside the bedroom window most nights to the deathly quiet of the area i lived in in NZ. My house in NZ is lovely (and a labour of love as we gutted it and refurbished the whole lot while we lived there), it has a lake and mountain view which fills the sitting room window, BUT..it wasn't enough to keep me there - all the negatives I found far outweighed the few positives.

We shall be there in about May or June next year - just in time for the Winter 100 year floods!

Katchafire is the best reggae band in the world - 8 Maori chaps who sing like angels and a couple of whom are not at all ugly. They provided me with much-needed entertainment as i followed them around NZ. They were just a little Bob Marley pub tribute band when I got there but now they tour the world - they were in Blighty in July and I flew over from Italy for the night to pay homage. In fact I was on 3 news during Maori language week bopping away.

Stingray Bay is in the Coromandel - it's fabulous.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:53 am
Account Closed

PS I love the outdoors and sports so I'm happy with the prospect of NZ.

Brilliant - you'll do just fine there then and they won't treat you like you just murdered their granny. They may even speak to you! Where are you going to live exactly?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:56 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
Ok. Not taken as a criticism. We didn't intend to go on a wing and a prayer. In our naivety we thought we would be Ok. £6000 in the bank, thought it would set us up ok until I found out the horrendous cost of the shipping, medicals visa and pet transportation. After all the costs are taken out I have estimated we will have around £600.00 left. Now we are pooing it a little bit and almost re-thinking our options. trouble is I am so despondentt the Uk now I don't want to stay.

Stay in the Uk for longer. Seriously cut back and save some more money. tHEN COME OVER.
OR : come over and know you will not have the means to come back and do what Sky says and imagine you have 500 bux and live on that. Try living on that now. Honestly, cos of lving her is same as UK and as you have no equity to bring, well it will be hard... save some more then come maybe? OR what is your plan B?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:01 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hi G - when are you going? be careful - I can tell you from experience buying a house there is not as easy as you may think (sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence and you know all this already) - house prices are astronomical and the cheaper ones tend to be those awful weatherboard things which leak, have no heating (like all houses in NZ, and believe me, the weather is NOT good there - summer lasts a MAX of six weeks, depending on location obviously and the winter is cold) and just plain ugly. My mortgage ate up the same percentage of my wages as my mortgage in London, my food bill ate up a higher percentage of my wages than in London, going out for drinks is far more expensive taking into account the lower wages (ie. a 5 quid cocktail in London will cost you 15 dollars there). I can't comment on the cost of other 'activities' because there are none - although i will readily admit that going for a walk is free in most places. You may be an entirely different person to me and therefore love the lifestyle change (and it IS a change) but I didn't and of all the British people i met there (clearly only a small percentage of the total number of ex-pats) none of them did either. Due to the low pay there if you don't like the place and you've spent all your British pounds building or buying a house you will have to work a hell of a lot to get enough money to get out again. we ended up renting our house out, trotting over to Europe for a few months to make some real money and then going back to tie up our loose ends before leaving for good.

In short: it is not an affordable country, it is not the idyll most brits think it will be, it is not a fun place, it is not a warm place. And contrary to your idea of not wanting future kids to grow up with the idea that money is the be all and end all, every NZer i have ever met is absolutely obsessed with the stuff. But enough of my moaning - you must decide for yourself - and it is only my opinion after all, i am big enough and ugly enough to realise my opinion differs to that of some other people.

I APPLAUD YOU AND YOUR OBSERVATIONS!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mumomonty
I APPLAUD YOU AND YOUR OBSERVATIONS!
My new best friend?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:47 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

My new best friend?
As long as you have bad eyesight and don't mind getting shouted at
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:50 am
Member of Mumo-land

Originally Posted by Apple12
cheeky monkey!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Apple12
Eyesight not too bad but I did get shouted at a lot in NZ, so used to that.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

stacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to all

Mazi, can I just ask why you are posting on this board if you are not moving to NZ???? ODD!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stacey19
Mazi, can I just ask why you are posting on this board if you are not moving to NZ???? ODD!
Yes of course you can - because I lived there so am able to give the benefit of my experience to those who wish to move there. It began because I replied to the Q about moving there with no money, as I did, then people started to reply/comment and it became all too tempting to reply/comment to the replies/comments, and now I am bloody addicted and thinking of suing whoever started the whole malarky because I'm supposed to be proofreading and can't get anything done!

Besides this thread is aimed at people who have moved there already, or presumably those who did in the past, as denoted by the title "Has anyone moved to NZ with no money?"
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stacey19
And what is ODD - I'm rubbish with abbreviations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.