British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/has-anyone-moved-nz-no-money-404458/)

Stevie1963 Oct 26th 2006 6:39 pm

Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

HI, has anyone emigrated to NZ without any financial backing and if so, how have you fared ?
The reason I ask this is my Wife and I have a small amount of savings but didn't realise the costs involved in moving. Once we have covered the air fares, medicals, cost of shipping our most valued possessions etc we will be left with only a few hundred pounds. Once over there we will need to find the money for white goods, sofa, a double bed and at least one car. Just wondering if anyone has actually managed to get back on their feet after such a move and no money. Any comments from people who have experienced this would be appreciated.

P2L Oct 26th 2006 6:55 pm

Re: Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
HI, has anyone emigrated to NZ without any financial backing and if so, how have you fared ?
The reason I ask this is my Wife and I have a small amount of savings but didn't realise the costs involved in moving. Once we have covered the air fares, medicals, cost of shipping our most valued possessions etc we will be left with only a few hundred pounds. Once over there we will need to find the money for white goods, sofa, a double bed and at least one car. Just wondering if anyone has actually managed to get back on their feet after such a move and no money. Any comments from people who have experienced this would be appreciated.

Gosh you're brave!! have you got a job to go to? Sometimes in life you've gotta take a chance, (says she from the play safe brigade)

Good Luck

sniffydog Oct 26th 2006 7:04 pm

I admire you big time! we will be trying to sell house get big aquity etc.........

Go for it......

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Gosh you're brave!! have you got a job to go to? Sometimes in life you've gotta take a chance, (says she from the play safe brigade)

Good Luck

Stevie1963 Oct 26th 2006 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah

Good Luck

Hi. yes I have a job offer so a reasonable income (NZ$ 45000 PA) from the start. I intend to go over 3 months before my Family join me to make sure it is the life for us. I have also been offered free board very kindly by my employer for 12 weeks so would be able to accumulate a small amount of money once over their.
My Wife will eventually be working once she gets over there and finds a job.
We are just worried about not surviving and having to come home due to lack of funds. HELP !!! :scared:

sniffydog Oct 26th 2006 7:57 pm

hi - thinking of tradinfg my £56000 + wife £6000 job for $60000 job for me + $0 for wife so know what you r going through....

such a hard decision.......

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
Hi. yes I have a job offer so a reasonable income (NZ$ 45000 PA) from the start. I intend to go over 3 months before my Family join me to make sure it is the life for us. I have also been offered free board very kindly by my employer for 12 weeks so would be able to accumulate a small amount of money once over their.
My Wife will eventually be working once she gets over there and finds a job.
We are just worried about not surviving and having to come home due to lack of funds. HELP !!! :scared:

Am Loolah Oct 26th 2006 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sniffydog
hi - thinking of tradinfg my £56000 + wife £6000 job for $60000 job for me + $0 for wife so know what you r going through....

such a hard decision.......

Are you taking much capital to go with that? I'd think you've saved something on that wage!!??

kt0157 Oct 26th 2006 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'd think you've saved something on that wage!!??

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But it ain't necessarily so. Rich people often just spend more than poor people and have larger debts.

K.

Budowsky Oct 26th 2006 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by kt0157
You'd think so, wouldn't you? But it ain't necessarily so. Rich people often just spend more than poor people and have larger debts.

K.

I came over with 3000 quid which dissapeared fairly quickly. I ran out of money in Picton on my way back to Auckland....

I remember eating my last piece of cheese and thinking oh well its the street for me tonight :)

kt0157 Oct 26th 2006 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Budowsky
I came over with 3000 quid which dissapeared fairly quickly. I ran out of money in Picton on my way back to Auckland....

I remember eating my last piece of cheese and thinking oh well its the street for me tonight :)

You ought to be quite OK on £50-£100/day. How long did it take to get through £3000?

K.

sky Oct 26th 2006 8:40 pm

I also think your brave :scared:
But if you have free board for 3 months and your wife follows you over once you are a bit more settled then you prob will be able to just do it.
Money runs through your fingers like water when you first arrive here, we went through a frightening amount of cash in the initial first few months .. buying cars, white goods, school uniforms, putting bonds on rentals.
Good luck :scared:

uk+kiwi Oct 26th 2006 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Are you taking much capital to go with that? I'd think you've saved something on that wage!!??

Not necessarily. What if they live in London? Agreed it's a healthy salary, but £62k wouldn't buy loads of luxuries in an expensive city. Although you're in Cornwall and I know it's not cheap there! I went out with some friends on Friday night and nearly died when I had to pay £9.80 for a coke, a Southern Comfort & lemonade and a white wine SPRITZER! Not even a full glass of wine. In a bar, nothing flash. No free beer nuts or olives included either!! :D

Joking aside, I think someone will notice a big lifestyle difference between an income change of £62k to $60k NZD!! Living costs are not that much cheaper than dollar to pound, perhaps excluding petrol. But life isn't all about money is it! :)

kt0157 Oct 26th 2006 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Living costs are not that much cheaper than dollar to pound, perhaps excluding petrol. But life isn't all about money is it! :)

Depends on what your mortgage payments were, and will be. Accommodation is a huge percentage of outgoings in the UK. And there's nothing like the hit from the Council Tax in Godzone.

K.

Budowsky Oct 26th 2006 9:30 pm

You ought to be quite OK on £50-£100/day. How long did it take to get through £3000?

K.

I dont remember exactly, month and a half maybe. I remember thinking fck my money is going fast. then it was all gone. I was travelling around the North and South Island and doing activities so that was chowing all my money.

P2L Oct 26th 2006 9:35 pm

Depends on what your mortgage payments were, and will be. Accommodation is a huge percentage of outgoings in the UK. And there's nothing like the hit from the Council Tax in Godzone.

K.

We're not coming out with huge amounts but at least we'll be debt free, (YIPPEEE) no credit cards, loans etc, which with 3 kids is a big positive and yes you're absolutely right, its not always about the money, but sometimes it helps!!!

sky Oct 26th 2006 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Budowsky
I dont remember exactly, month and a half maybe. I remember thinking fck my money is going fast. then it was all gone. I was travelling around the North and South Island and doing activities so that was chowing all my money.

We went through a lot more money than that in just a few short months :scared: