Hamilton

Old Mar 3rd 2019, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future
Default Hamilton

Hi All,
I may have the chance of a job in Hamilton. It's still very, VERY early days but I just wanted to find out a bit more before I go further.
I've been told that there's a drive to recruit IT people in the Waikato region, particularly Hamilton.
I would initially come out here on my own so only need a small place to rent.

I believe that typically a UK person would need to double their UK salary to NZ dollars in order to get the same standard of living. Is this true? Or is that just for Auckland?
What's the typical rental for say a one or 2 bed apartment? I've seen some house prices on realestate.co.nz and I didn't think there was a massive difference between Auckland.
Are IT salaries in Hamilton quite low. e.g. IT Business Analyst.
Are there areas in Hamilton to avoid?
I read on a previous thread that north of Hamilton is best avoided. Didn't say why.
Many Thanks
Chipster
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton

Salaries, look at around 2.5 times UK salary for equivalent. I don't know but see little reason why Hams salaries would be lower than Aux
Theres nowt wrong with the North of Hams itself, places like rototuna are fine. Personally I wouldn't go near Huntley or ngaruawahia, Fairfield can be rough, Melville and Nawton are to be avoided. Of course it's all subjective, others may pop up and say differently.
if it's just you initially, you might be better looking at house shares rather than appartments / units.

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 3rd 2019 at 6:14 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Justcol
Salaries, look at around 2.5 times UK salary for equivalent. I don't know but see little reason why Hams salaries would be lower than Aux
Theres nowt wrong with the North of Hams itself, places like rototuna are fine. Personally I wouldn't go near Huntley or ngaruawahia, Fairfield can be rough, Melville and Nawton are to be avoided. Of course it's all subjective, others may pop up and say differently.
if it's just you initially, you might be better looking at house shares rather than appartments / units.
Thanks for the information. Will look to avoid those places.
Hadn't thought of house shares so thanks for the tip.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I see some on here refer to as a source to find things

https://www.trademe.co.nz/property
Old Mar 4th 2019, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikemike
I see some on here refer to as a source to find things

https://www.trademe.co.nz/property
Thanks Mike. I'll take a look at this.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipster
Thanks Mike. I'll take a look at this.
Trademe is probably the #1 site for property, rentals, cars, anything.
We don't have eBay in NZ, this is our own alternative, it's huge here
Old Mar 6th 2019, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Unsure about the drive to recruit IT skills in the Waikato. I work in Hamilton for a company that is big in to IT and all our analyst roles are Wellington based, still I'm sure there's many other businesses in Hamilton need skilled IT people.
If you're coming out on your own I wouldn't stress too much about where not to live as it doesn't really matter. I haven't found any places in NZ that are worse than the arse end areas of where I grew up or socialized in England with burnt out cars and old sofas in the front gardens. Be a bit picky when all the family are coming over but on your own here I wouldn't bother. I stay over at a colleagues house in Hamilton in between night shifts which is close to the CBD/hospital, in a place many would say is rough as, but it's fine.

I don't go for this 2 times or 2.5 times UK salary to have a decent life here as that salary just isn't realistic as even though it's the same industry, that industry isn't at the same level as it is in the UK or the US or wherever you are from.
I was way way off that mark. I earned £74k base and around £82k with overtime in the UK and started here on $95k but we managed to survive because we brought money with us to set ourselves up. When the money started to run out the Mrs just had to go back to work part time which fixed the problem. We've been here 7 years now and I'm still not paid the equivalent of the salary I enjoyed when I left the UK in 2012. I reckon nowadays you need to be earning at least $120k as a family to be comfortable here.......maybe $140k in Auckland, but if you can bring some money with you to set yourselves up then you could get away with less for the first year or two - just like we did. Cost of Living is expensive here and although there are less options to make life more affordable it can still be done if you are careful and frugal. Life here is different and you just need to adapt but once you have then it'll be fine.

Also consider Cambridge or Leamington as places to live. Many people who work in the Tron live out that way. It is a rapidly expanding town but nice all the same.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Joanne1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just moved to Taupo after living in Hamilton for 14 years. Wondered why an earth we moved to Hamilton in the first place.
we are moving back to the UK this year, but possibly if we had settled in Taupo 1st may be a different story. I would look at alternatives to Hamilton lots of more lovely places and less expensive.
we rented a house foe 5 years, we pais 420 foe a 4 bedroom house in Rototuna, however when we left it went up to 650 dollars a week.
IT you need to be in Auckland and a much nicer city and near the beach. You can live on the outskirts in places like Pukeno and there is a train into Auckland. If you have children i would avoid Hamilton tbh.
hope this helps. Feel free to PM me.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Hi,
Unsure about the drive to recruit IT skills in the Waikato. I work in Hamilton for a company that is big in to IT and all our analyst roles are Wellington based, still I'm sure there's many other businesses in Hamilton need skilled IT people.
If you're coming out on your own I wouldn't stress too much about where not to live as it doesn't really matter. I haven't found any places in NZ that are worse than the arse end areas of where I grew up or socialized in England with burnt out cars and old sofas in the front gardens. Be a bit picky when all the family are coming over but on your own here I wouldn't bother. I stay over at a colleagues house in Hamilton in between night shifts which is close to the CBD/hospital, in a place many would say is rough as, but it's fine.

I don't go for this 2 times or 2.5 times UK salary to have a decent life here as that salary just isn't realistic as even though it's the same industry, that industry isn't at the same level as it is in the UK or the US or wherever you are from.
I was way way off that mark. I earned £74k base and around £82k with overtime in the UK and started here on $95k but we managed to survive because we brought money with us to set ourselves up. When the money started to run out the Mrs just had to go back to work part time which fixed the problem. We've been here 7 years now and I'm still not paid the equivalent of the salary I enjoyed when I left the UK in 2012. I reckon nowadays you need to be earning at least $120k as a family to be comfortable here.......maybe $140k in Auckland, but if you can bring some money with you to set yourselves up then you could get away with less for the first year or two - just like we did. Cost of Living is expensive here and although there are less options to make life more affordable it can still be done if you are careful and frugal. Life here is different and you just need to adapt but once you have then it'll be fine.

Also consider Cambridge or Leamington as places to live. Many people who work in the Tron live out that way. It is a rapidly expanding town but nice all the same.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have heard Cambridge is a nice place to live and not too far from Hamilton.
I spoke to an agent today and got the impression there was little available in Hamilton IT wise.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joanne1970
I have just moved to Taupo after living in Hamilton for 14 years. Wondered why an earth we moved to Hamilton in the first place.
we are moving back to the UK this year, but possibly if we had settled in Taupo 1st may be a different story. I would look at alternatives to Hamilton lots of more lovely places and less expensive.
we rented a house foe 5 years, we pais 420 foe a 4 bedroom house in Rototuna, however when we left it went up to 650 dollars a week.
IT you need to be in Auckland and a much nicer city and near the beach. You can live on the outskirts in places like Pukeno and there is a train into Auckland. If you have children i would avoid Hamilton tbh.
hope this helps. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks Joanne.
Our 'kids' are 18 and almost 21.
What in particular didn't you like about Hamilton?

Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipster
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have heard Cambridge is a nice place to live and not too far from Hamilton.
I spoke to an agent today and got the impression there was little available in Hamilton IT wise.
No worries.
Yes Cambridge is a really nice place and has an awesome town centre with great cafes bars restaurants etc. Only issue really is the place is expanding and rapidly. There's a huge new subdivision going in bordering the new expressway and more land being cleared for future residential builds. Many say the place is losing its old village charm and they may well be right. It started off as a tiny farming community and was a gorgeous little village when I came in 2012 and now it's a small town and getting a lot of the bigger stores and fast food joints springing up. It's only approx 20 mins commute in to Hams. Great walks around there. A good golf course and of course the National Cycling Arena and very good schooling.
Yeah, if you're wanting decent money for an IT job you'd only look at Wellington or Auckland where all the big players are. They are pretty much THE centres for the IT industry in NZ.
​​
Old Mar 7th 2019, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
No worries.
Yes Cambridge is a really nice place and has an awesome town centre with great cafes bars restaurants etc. Only issue really is the place is expanding and rapidly. There's a huge new subdivision going in bordering the new expressway and more land being cleared for future residential builds. Many say the place is losing its old village charm and they may well be right. It started off as a tiny farming community and was a gorgeous little village when I came in 2012 and now it's a small town and getting a lot of the bigger stores and fast food joints springing up. It's only approx 20 mins commute in to Hams. Great walks around there. A good golf course and of course the National Cycling Arena and very good schooling.
Yeah, if you're wanting decent money for an IT job you'd only look at Wellington or Auckland where all the big players are. They are pretty much THE centres for the IT industry in NZ.
​​
I settled in Cambridge when I came over in 2008, left for a couple of years then moved back there again 2013 and then left again 2 years later
As has been said, it was nice place, and i guess still is for some, but for me it grew so fast it lost all its charm and friendly feel.
House prices rocketed to almost Auckland levels and most of the green spaces in the town have gone and are being built on.
I would try Te Awamutu, its more affordable and has a nicer feel
Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
guess still is for some, but for me it grew so fast it lost all its charm and friendly feel.
Off topic but I feel that way about where we are here.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Off topic but I feel that way about where we are here.

It seems to be the Kiwi way; take any really nice / attractive place and exploit the hell out of it. Build blocks of apartments and cram people in until it is no longer a nice place. The expansion is being done at incredible pace without any thought for green space surrounds or existing communities.