Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Glasgow Airport Sat 30th

Glasgow Airport Sat 30th

Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasgow Airport Sat 30th

Originally Posted by Boopy
I pointed out Lockebie cos you got on your high horse & stated that Glasgow was the only bombing in Scotland. You are a sad women who has to twist words.
The purpose of my first post on this thread, was to point out as a caring & loving mother this adds to my concerns of him travelling back to UK. But at 20yrs old he is a man - but you will learn as a mother that does not stop you from worrying about your kids
oh and back to the being unable to actually read thing, what I said was that it was the first attack of its kind. I didn't say this, it was on the news. If anyone was on a high horse it must have been the news people.

Again, I didnt attack anyone, I didn't attack you, or anyone else, I pointed out that no where is safe. Which is a fact. Why do you feel the need to attack the way you do and call names? I never get this whole name calling thing. Its a bit childish don't you think?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Elsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really nice

It's on the news here.
It is a worry - makes you realise what we came here for.
My son flys back in 2 weeks time for a holiday - I'm uneasy about him going.
If its any consolation, arrests and raids have been made all over today and security status has been raised and at its peak therefore checks and searches all over. Safer to travel now than last week....if that makes sense. But I know....its your job to worry. Sure he'll be fine.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

i left another Expats site because it was a "What are the sausages like" forum, dull as dishwater, this is great ! Keep up the swipes (not toooooooo personal though, then it becomes nasty and makes bad reading).

Hope all goes well for your son, Terrorists win if they change our lifestyles.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Jul 1st 2007 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Well, IM(humble)O, I can't believe that NZ is under the same level of risk that the UK is. NZ does not have the political involvement in Palestine nor Iraq, nor anywhere in the Middle East as the UK does. This can only keep NZ at a longer distance from terrorist threats. I know that you can never be certain of anything, and provide no guarantees but I don't believe that it is an unhappy coincidence that the UK is experiencing these attacks. Definitely a shock to us here in scotland though, although it really shouldn't be I suppose.

I have to agree with Avid that during the IRA bombings we British had a much more staunch "we will not be intimidated" view than we seem to now. I saw an old TV interview of Maggie just after the Brighton Bombing where she refused to be stopped by these lunatics. And quite right too!

Boopy, I understand your concern. You'd be an uncaring mother if you were to feel otherwise. I am sure though that all will be fine. Security has now gone up to critical and as a result, no one with half a brain (even a mad terrorist) would try to attack an airport. They do not have the ability to go for anything but softer targets. So, it's just the bloody floods he then has to brave hey! IS he sure he still wants to come?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Elsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really nice

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
i left another Expats site because it was a "What are the sausages like" forum, dull as dishwater, this is great ! Keep up the swipes (not toooooooo personal though, then it becomes nasty and makes bad reading).

Hope all goes well for your son, Terrorists win if they change our lifestyles.
"Terrorists win if they change our lifestyles."

Absolutely; Well said Brussels!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Well, IM(humble)O, I can't believe that NZ is under the same level of risk that the UK is. NZ does not have the political involvement in Palestine nor Iraq, nor anywhere in the Middle East as the UK does. This can only keep NZ at a longer distance from terrorist threats. I know that you can never be certain of anything, and provide no guarantees but I don't believe that it is an unhappy coincidence that the UK is experiencing these attacks. Definitely a shock to us here in scotland though, although it really shouldn't be I suppose.
Who said that NZ was under threat ? It is not at all currently, but precautions are still taken (one of the Arabs who trained with the 9/11 pilots was found to be illegally living in NZ last year).

NZ has virtually no political/diplomatic/financial weight, and is not involved directly in any foreign actions outside the Pacific area (last week the NZ ambassador to Fiji WAS actually expelled permanently though).
Saying that, the free (Anglo-Saxon led and policed) world is involved in a long term guerilla type war and as i said only when Australia is attacked, will NZ get involved. But OZ and NZ are very vulnerable because of the very high concentration of people in a limited number of urban centres. NZ seems a long way from the world's problems , but in reality, it is only a few hours' flying time from them.

The current terrorists are more frightening because they are brainwashed by religion and are bankrolled by oil rich billionaires. Eventually their societies will progress and become peaceful like all others have done in the past. Fascism, Communism, Fundamentalism, English - speaking peoples have and will see them all off

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Jul 1st 2007 at 11:31 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:26 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

The current terrorists are more frightening because they are more fanatical and are bankrolled by oil rich billionaires.
The current terrorists are more frightening because they aren't white.

Is everybody on this forum under 30? In the 1970's there were bombs going off all over Europe. The IRA, Baader Meinhoff, Red Army Faction, Angry Brigade, ETA and on and on. The Post Office Tower in London would have been the first '9-11' if the bomb had been a bit bigger!

These bombs actually went off and killed people, but it wasn't treated in the papers like World War Three was about to start.

True, the aims of today's terrorists may be a lot bigger than the ones in the 1970's but they seem like total amateurs compared to the olden days. Though it does seem people are more easily scared nowadays.

Last edited by Avid; Jul 1st 2007 at 11:28 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avid

Is everybody on this forum under 30? In the 1970's there were bombs going off all over Europe. The IRA, Baader Meinhoff, Red Army Faction, Angry Brigade, ETA and on and on. The Post Office Tower in London would have been the first '9-11' if the bomb had been a bit bigger!

These bombs actually went off and killed people, but it wasn't treated in the papers like World War Three was about to start.

True, the aims of today's terrorists may be a lot bigger than the ones in the 1970's but they seem like total amateurs compared to the olden days. Though it does seem people are more easily scared nowadays.
Yes, the incident in Glasgow was a bit of a spur of the the moment, "just seen the brainwashing DVD after prayer" affair, at least the IRA managed to get military high explosive , yes. For me it is all about Nostradamus, he predicted the coming of an "Anti-God" in 2007 , who started a devastating World War.

Also the Muslim terrorists are SUICIDE ones with brainwashed third world values, the groups that you mention took their inspirations from first world Europe. Also millions of them are now living amongst us and are almost mainly influenced, not by British values, but values emanating from third world countries without democracy or freedom.

They will not only plant conventional bombs either, that is why they are more of a perceived threat, we ARE living through a worrying time, but HELL, we are British, we do our duty !
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:00 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

For me it is all about Nostradamus, he predicted the coming of an "Anti-God" in 2007 , who started a devastating World War.
You are pulling my leg, right? I thought the prophecies of Nostradamus were disproved years ago. But, seriously, I'd love to hear how Nostradamus predicted the recent Islamic terrorist campaign.

Last edited by Avid; Jul 2nd 2007 at 12:05 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:55 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Avid

wimps! When i was a lad a bomb was a bomb, not like today, no, today them bombers don't know how to make a good bomb, and another thing...
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

My dad was in the Army for 30 yrs. When he left in the 70's I remember him telling me how the arabs would be the cause of the 3rd world war, because they were so fanatical.

Avid - I just try & pretend that I'm under 30......
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leighlou

Boopy, I understand your concern. You'd be an uncaring mother if you were to feel otherwise. I am sure though that all will be fine. Security has now gone up to critical and as a result, no one with half a brain (even a mad terrorist) would try to attack an airport. They do not have the ability to go for anything but softer targets. So, it's just the bloody floods he then has to brave hey! IS he sure he still wants to come?

He wasn't too bothered about going back to visit. My mam paid for his flight - she's terminally ill & wants to see him. We recently went back for a visit, but couldn't afford for Jamie.
Now he's going he's arranged for his mates to take their hols when he's there. He's planning a week camping in the Lake District - I think he may need his swimming trunks.
His sister (my daughter) will travel from Scotland to see him for a few days, he might be better off going camping in Scotland & see here there.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:48 am
Just Joined

sharks is an unknown quantity at this point

He wasn't too bothered about going back to visit. My mam paid for his flight - she's terminally ill & wants to see him. We recently went back for a visit, but couldn't afford for Jamie.
Now he's going he's arranged for his mates to take their hols when he's there. He's planning a week camping in the Lake District - I think he may need his swimming trunks.
His sister (my daughter) will travel from Scotland to see him for a few days, he might be better off going camping in Scotland & see here there.
seems to me the problem is religion itself..... I commend the works of Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris to all parties...

http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/200...ist_manifesto/
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty strange to argue that a country in which there has never been a terrorist attack and which takes a very non-interventionist stance in nearly all foreign affairs is no safer than one which gets terrorist activity every year and which has combatant troops deployed in several Muslim countries. Hohum
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Pretty strange to argue that a country in which there has never been a terrorist attack and which takes a very non-interventionist stance in nearly all foreign affairs is no safer than one which gets terrorist activity every year and which has combatant troops deployed in several Muslim countries. Hohum
The logic might be that a country with CCTV every 2 feet and in a constant state of emergency is a lot harder to bomb than a country where you can pretty much drive a truck full of dynamite up to the steps of the parliament building.

The only problem terrorists have with bombing New Zealand is...would it make the international news?

By the way, how many people were in A&E in Glasgow on the night of the 'bombing' because of drink? If Al-Qaeda wants to kill Glaswegians they should open a pub in Sauchiehall Street and give the drink away.

Last edited by Avid; Jul 2nd 2007 at 5:37 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.