Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Glasgow Airport Sat 30th

Glasgow Airport Sat 30th

Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

frattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura about
Default Glasgow Airport Sat 30th

Unsure if anyone is aware of what has happened, if not here is the thread:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6257388.stm

Hopefully no one injured.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all
Default Re: Glasgow Airport Sat 30th

They've just released the names of the two Glasgie bombers - Ahmed al-Laurel and Muhammad al-Hardy

and from my Scots friend Asad Din Burns

Och Firey, Flaming Jeep Cherokee
What in he'en went wrong with thee?
Petrol poured I over me,
Three score and twelve virgins so to see

But a passer by who saw my stunt
Saith 'Te'ek tha' ya wee Jihadist *****!'
And with his forearm, quite distinguished
Ma bid for martyrdom extinguished.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frattonlad
Unsure if anyone is aware of what has happened, if not here is the thread:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6257388.stm

Hopefully no one injured.
It's on the news here.
It is a worry - makes you realise what we came here for.
My son flys back in 2 weeks time for a holiday - I'm uneasy about him going.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boopy
It's on the news here.

If you're seriously worried about a few incompetents attempting to 'blow up' the UK with a gas bottle and some petrol you should also advise your son to keep away from caravan parks, plumbers vans and B&Q.

The media and authorities are larging this up for their own agenda.
I heard a commentator on ITV saying "devastate the whole area - 1,000 dead". What utter rubbish!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justinthyme
If you're seriously worried about a few incompetents attempting to 'blow up' the UK with a gas bottle and some petrol you should also advise your son to keep away from caravan parks, plumbers vans and B&Q.

The media and authorities are larging this up for their own agenda.
I heard a commentator on ITV saying "devastate the whole area - 1,000 dead". What utter rubbish!

It's just a mother thing. Ha! He's 20yrs old. It's still a worry - he's my baby & travelling 12,000 miles away.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:27 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justinthyme
Just imagine that it's the IRA doing it. The UK didn't seem to worry so much when they were planting the bombs.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Avid
Just imagine that it's the IRA doing it. The UK didn't seem to worry so much when they were planting the bombs.
True! It was just everyday life.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

The Diana concert today with Prince Harry on stage may be a target
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

The London car bombs (with nails) were intended to be detonated almost outside New Zealand House, where many emigrants go to hand in their PR applications.

New Zealand will only get involved in a major confrontation when Australia is attacked. NZ seems to be safe mainly because the number of Muslims here is very small unlike Australia. In Brussels, i remember that the majority of some communes were Muslim. Ditto some wards in Northern England, Blackburn, Bradford etc.

It is a reminder to Scots, that we are on the same side, we are in it together as we have been for hundreds of years. The Scots police could not get one terrorist under control, but a "member of the public" went and punched him and then he became "more compliant", which i though was great! I read that one of the London car bombs was rented in Scotland. Maybe the Scotland connection may have been due to new Prime Minister being Scots.

All this Muslim terrorism will only ultimately stop when the Iranian people THEMSELVES rebel against the fundamentalist regime and the Ayatollahs, start a counter revolution and attain social progress and freedom, but, although i am not holding my breath, it WILL happen one day

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Jul 1st 2007 at 8:16 am.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

It's on the news here.
It is a worry - makes you realise what we came here for.
I really do not think that there is ANY country that is safe from this type of thing and to think moving to NZ will make you any less of a target is not really true. This is the first of its kind in Scotland and I am watching the news as we speak, they are taking about how anywhere is a target now as Scotland was always seen as not being on the radar for this type of attack.

Can I remind you that its not just brits they go after, Bali anyone? they were specifically targetting Aussies then. So its a little closer to home? No?

I think any country thinking that they are safe is a dangerous mindset.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lexylou
I really do not think that there is ANY country that is safe from this type of thing and to think moving to NZ will make you any less of a target is not really true. This is the first of its kind in Scotland and I am watching the news as we speak, they are taking about how anywhere is a target now as Scotland was always seen as not being on the radar for this type of attack.

Can I remind you that its not just brits they go after, Bali anyone? they were specifically targetting Aussies then. So its a little closer to home? No?

I think any country thinking that they are safe is a dangerous mindset.

Can I remind you about the Lockerbie bombing - isn't that Scotland.
So no one is safe against terroism, but there's more chance of being involved in RTA. But none of that will stop me from feeling uneasy about my son travelling.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Can I remind you about the Lockerbie bombing - isn't that Scotland.
So no one is safe against terroism, but there's more chance of being involved in RTA. But none of that will stop me from feeling uneasy about my son travelling.
Why are you reminding me of Lockerbie? I am quite well aware where Lockerbie is. You are missing the point, you said that it makes you realise why you came to NZ, and I was mearly pointing out that it does not make anyone safe being in specific countries. Why bring up Lockerbie? Who was talking about that? And if you know the facts on Lockerbie then you will know that the attack was actually on the USA, it just happened that it exploded over Scotland. It was not a direct attack on Scotland or its people. It was an attack on an American national airline and all that that means.

Do you think that it is any comfort to the Kiwi parents and Aussie parents of their family killed in the very well known Antipodean resort that is Bali? No one is safe from terrorists, no country is safe and to think that it is, is not realistic.

Rather than see every FACT about this world as a personal attack on NZ just lets realise that terrorisim is a sign of the times. The world we live in.

. I did not say that NZ is bad, full of terrorists, I just pointed out that no country is safe, except you feel the need to do that usual expat in NZ thing, point out the further short comings of living in the UK.

I hope that your son has a safe journey etc but please do not get your knickers in a twist for my stating that terrorists exist everywhere. This is a FACT. Sad but true. My husband is in the aviation industry and believe me, there is a LOT going on all over the world. Glasgow was a soft target.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

frattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura about

There is a serious threat all over the world not just the UK. There are attacks in Turkey, Spain, Italy everywhere. All we can do is be as vigilant as we can, report anything suspicious and just live our lives.
It was noted last night that 2 men were arrested on the M6 services near Sandbach with explosives in a vehicle. Were these going to Liverpool or Manchester or anywhere else?? No one knows.
I hope your son has a safe journey and that these Terrorists see that we will stand together and fight them and we will not let them win!!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lexylou
Why are you reminding me of Lockerbie? I am quite well aware where Lockerbie is.

I pointed out Lockebie cos you got on your high horse & stated that Glasgow was the only bombing in Scotland. You are a sad women who has to twist words.
The purpose of my first post on this thread, was to point out as a caring & loving mother this adds to my concerns of him travelling back to UK. But at 20yrs old he is a man - but you will learn as a mother that does not stop you from worrying about your kids
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I pointed out Lockebie cos you got on your high horse & stated that Glasgow was the only bombing in Scotland. You are a sad women who has to twist words.
The purpose of my first post on this thread, was to point out as a caring & loving mother this adds to my concerns of him travelling back to UK. But at 20yrs old he is a man - but you will learn as a mother that does not stop you from worrying about your kids
yes I am sad. I am sad and twist words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.