Giving Notice

Old Feb 24th 2007, 5:46 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road
Question Giving Notice

Hey there,

When do you guys reckon it's polite/right to say I'm leaving at work.

I fly out at end of November and have to give 3 months notice. Theoretically I have to give my notice at the end of August. But probably will be far too excited getting everything organised to keep it a secret (I share an office with my line manager).

Do you think I should mention soon (say April) that I'm thinking of going home but nothing finalised. Or should I say I'm looking into flights and I've got my eye on one at end Nov?

Any suggestions welcome.
Lease
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:24 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Notice

Originally Posted by leaseuk
Hey there,

I fly out at end of November and have to give 3 months notice. Theoretically I have to give my notice at the end of August. But probably will be far too excited getting everything organised to keep it a secret (I share an office with my line manager).

Do you think I should mention soon (say April) that I'm thinking of going home but nothing finalised. Or should I say I'm looking into flights and I've got my eye on one at end Nov?

Any suggestions welcome.
Lease

Personally I'd say nothing till it's all definitely gonna happen.

It doesn't matter how well you think you get on with someone, when it comes to business, in my experience, nobody is indispensable
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:28 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Personally I'd say nothing till it's all definitely gonna happen. :
It's definitely happening! Tickets booked, 7 week holiday in South Africa sorted - B-I-L has sorted a holiday for us in Mozambique - the two weeks at the end. Lovely.

I'm liking him more and more.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:30 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely happening! Tickets booked, 7 week holiday in South Africa sorted - B-I-L has sorted a holiday for us in Mozambique - the two weeks at the end. Lovely.

I'm liking him more and more.

Ok so if you tell them now & they let ou go straight away, how would it affect your plans??
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:46 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

Default Re: Giving Notice on Job

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Ok so if you tell them now & they let ou go straight away, how would it affect your plans??
Ah, I see where you are coming from now...

I work for the nhs and it woudl probably take them until November to recruit for my post!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

I gave my employeer 6 months notice and they were fine. I think your reason for leaving is one of the few exceptable reasons they like, similar to being pregnant???
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:15 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there,

Any suggestions welcome.
Lease
Give the legal/contractually (if that's the word) required. That's long enough to find someone new, and you don't want to do yourself out of a job. I know its exciting and you want to make it official, but you don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face so speak!! Good luck with it all, and try to contain your excitement! The time will happen soon enough to make it official!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Personally I gave what the requirement says in my contract (I also work in NHS). The way things are going I would not give them any more!! Bitter, me, never!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 12:46 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spackster
Personally I gave what the requirement says in my contract (I also work in NHS). The way things are going I would not give them any more!! Bitter, me, never!
Keep your leaving date and your plans to yourself for as long as possible. My old boss new we were coming over here this year and whilst I was on holiday last july he hired my replacement. Nice supprise when I returned to work

Adie
Old Feb 25th 2007, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good luck!

I used to work for the jolly old NHS as well, I had great pleasure giving in my notice, it was 3 months in total and I also had just over 3 months annual leave outstanding, so notice went in on one day and I left about one week later, had to negotiate hard and fast as, to my surprise, they were sad to see me go. I advised them the tickets were already booked and I was out of there and off I went with a huge leaving bash where nearly 500 people turned up, all glad to see the back end of me!

The company in Auckland was a different kettle of fish, not even a good luck card.

My advise, for what it is worth, (basically nothing) do your calendar sums, workout the last possible day including any remaining leave and notice period and just go, but……..don’t tell anyone until the last possible moment, even the most trusted confidant.

Sending you some “Isn’t it great to resign” karma, may help…………..but probably not!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

I told my boss on Friday with four months to go. I did this out of respect for her and my colleagues as it would have put a lot more pressure on them if I left it till the last minute. It took nearly 9 months to fill the post originally.

She said she was grateful for the notice and appreciated me being honest.

I think it all depends on personal circumstances....

Great feeling though