Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

Wikiposts

General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:23 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

kids (as in high schoolers) definitely give up their seats on the train for people here. I notice it most days on the way to work. I love it because i often get a seat.

I am also happy to have a teenager give up their seat but tend to agree regarding smaller children. They should keep their seat if it is safer to do so.

Oddly enough when I used the buses in London almost without exception people gave up their seat for elderly or infirm people. The bus would stop and if it looked like someone may need the front seats then that younger/fitter person almost invariably moved. I remember when my younger brother came to visit me and he noted how polite people were!! Seemed quite a bit different to what he was expecting. On the tube tho - no way was anyone giving up their seat! Though I was on the tube once and a school group (12 yr olds?) was on it. The teacher actually said to the class that she did not want to see one of her students sitting if there was an adult standing!! It was fantastic to watch. The whole class kept jumping up every time someone got on
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:35 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

I offered my seat to people on the bus up to when I left to the UK. This was mainly to people my mum and dads age.

Now days I don't on the understanding that I'm an old git. Saying that I did give my seat up to a mother with two little ones quite recently as I couldn't have them standing.

It's just a polite thing to do, don't know where it started. It's like throwing things in the bin as opposed to the floor.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
I offered my seat to people on the bus up to when I left to the UK. This was mainly to people my mum and dads age.

Now days I don't on the understanding that I'm an old git. Saying that I did give my seat up to a mother with two little ones quite recently as I couldn't have them standing.

It's just a polite thing to do, don't know where it started. It's like throwing things in the bin as opposed to the floor.
In NZ it is an official rule that schoolkids must give up their seats to an adult, well at least on Wellington trains , i suppose it is the same throughout the country
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ned
I think we have declared war over less

the thing about all these articles about the french, well in my experience (i'm allowed as my wife, and now half of my family are french) is that they are the worst dressed, and most hap hazard of people. But that could just be the ones I know! Still I love them all for it, even if they do think that you should boil veg to death and really only be allowed to eat green beans, but these should be with every meal.

Still at least when they are peeved about something they do something more direct than writing witty letters to points of view!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:04 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I agree with a lot of what you said, Maz, but ChupaChupa, 'e come from Barcelona not France, Chupar - spanish for "to suck", i agree about the driving and smoking in NZ , all Latin countries are the same when it comes to these 2
Thanks for correcting me. I didn't spend very much time in Spain when I did visit, but when I was there, I was more interested in snorkeling than sweets.

what do you think of the food here compare to France and USA ?
NZ food is far fresher than England, France and the US. Also, happy can attest to this, but if you compared the "prepared frozen meals" section of any supermarket, you'd get a shock when seeing just how many prepared meals there are available in the US, and how cheap they are!

Originally Posted by happynz
I like the overall quality of foodstuffs on sale here in New Zealand. The meats and fruit/veges are pretty good. The thing that the US has New Zealand beat by a country mile is the lack of decent Mexican food. I grew up on Mexican food in California and what allegedly passes for Mexican food here is nearly criminal.
¿Dónde son mis amigos Miguel, Jesús y Jose?
We had Mexican at San Fran airport. It was delish, and probably some of the last Mexican food I'll have for a long time. It took me ages to get used to it, though, when I first got to the US.

Wouldn't it be called Japanese tourist syndrome , if that was true ?
Not all about the rude Parisians, then ?
An example :- We went to a restaurant in Paris with our young kids, the manager said "No kids - Zis is not Macdonalds you know"
:curse:

I'm an old git.
Yeah right!

It's like throwing things in the bin as opposed to the floor.
I can feel Kerry's relief from here.

Originally Posted by Dustybin
the thing about all these articles about the french, well in my experience (i'm allowed as my wife, and now half of my family are french) is that they are the worst dressed, and most hap hazard of people. But that could just be the ones I know! Still I love them all for it, even if they do think that you should boil veg to death and really only be allowed to eat green beans, but these should be with every meal.

Still at least when they are peeved about something they do something more direct than writing witty letters to points of view!
Did you ever have liver pan-fried in vinegar?... I did, several times. Foie gras was popular where I lived, too. The Saturday morning markets would make you want to throw up. There was a hall devoted to duck raised for foie gras. They were all laid out on trestle tables with their abdomens cut open. *vomit* I must say, I did a little dance and cheered when I saw the only horse-butcher in town was going out of business.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz

Did you ever have liver pan-fried in vinegar?... I did, several times. Foie gras was popular where I lived, too. The Saturday morning markets would make you want to throw up. There was a hall devoted to duck raised for foie gras. They were all laid out on trestle tables with their abdomens cut open. *vomit* I must say, I did a little dance and cheered when I saw the only horse-butcher in town was going out of business.
Never had horse, but then again never been offered it either. I do like foie gras tho, but I'm fully aware where it comes from. Liver in vinegar sounds interesting tho. I suppose in the defence of the french at least they know what their food is and where it comes from. More than most of the english people I know do. I probably the wrong bloke to ask though, not many things I wouldn't have a go at, well except incest or morris dancing.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Foie gras was popular where I lived, too. The Saturday morning markets would make you want to throw up. There was a hall devoted to duck raised for foie gras. They were all laid out on trestle tables with their abdomens cut open. *vomit* I must say, I did a little dance and cheered when I saw the only horse-butcher in town was going out of business.
Vomit too ! Yuk !
There's a new Foie Gras from Spain that is supposed to be "cruelty free",
i guess it is called "higado gordo" maybe ?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...18/wfoie18.xml

I like just about all the fruit and veg in NZ, and homemade sausages from butchers, soft licorice
French are are a bit up themselves when food is concerned

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Nov 5th 2007 at 7:42 am.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:35 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dustybin
not many things I wouldn't have a go at, well except incest or morris dancing.
I dunno
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:36 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Morris Dancing looks fun
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:37 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Vomit too ! Yuk !
There's a new Foie Gras from Spain that is supposed to be "cruelty free",
i guess it is called "higado gordo" maybe ?
Not sure that's possible, to be honest... the birds have funnels stuffed down their throats and grain is poured down the funnels. That's how they get the "fatty liver" meaning "foie gras".

Ick... OK now I feel a tad nauseous....
Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:46 pm
Maz

I have another musing... NO-ONE here says "bless you" or "gesundheit" when someone else sneezes.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
I have another musing... NO-ONE here says "bless you" or "gesundheit" when someone else sneezes.
Yes, i never realised that, but yes, it's true, My ex wife used to say, "a tes amours, nombreuses et courtes"
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:18 pm
Maz

Yes, i never realised that, but yes, it's true, My ex wife used to say, "a tes amours, nombreuses et courtes"
ooer I'd always heard "a tes souhets" in France.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:07 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz
They say thanks before you even hand over the money.
'That'll be $7.30, thanks.'