Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:45 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

After age 18, time spent in England: 6 years
In France: nearly 4 years
In the US: nearly 12 years. In that order.

Just my first few musings after being here 3 weeks and very much settled in and happy.

Driving here is dead easy, just watch out for that whacky right-turn rule.

Drivers are extremely pleasant and in driving here 3 weeks I've only been tailgated once. In the US I was tailgated on pretty much every single journey, and that's when going 5 over the limit too.

No drivers are more insane than in Paris.

The "can-do" attitude is very much in force here, and people lower down the ladder have more authority to just get stuff taken care of.

Pubs nearly exist here.

Mailboxes are US-style, out near the street. The post doesn't come through the door like in England and France

Pavements are US-style mostly, with a small amount of grass, just a few feet, between the pavement and the kerb.

The vast majority of drivers drive at or under the speed limit.

Motorways are free to use, like in the UK.

More people smoke than in the US, but less than in the UK. In my nearly 4 years in France, I only knew a handful of adults who didn't smoke.

Sweets are English in style, and you can get those French "chupa chups" lollipops.

Some schools have uniforms, but not too many (fewer than I thought would).

School starts at age 5, ie. Year 1, so a year earlier than in the US, and very slightly later (from memory) than in the UK.

People are SO friendly! Strangers on the street will smile and say hello. Children hold doors open for their elders.

Unlike the US, roundabouts are everywhere here (that took a little while for hubby to get used to!).

Although NZ uses dollars, the currency is more akin to UK coins and banknotes.

Statutory time-off is 4 weeks a year, thanks to legislation passed this year. In the US I had to work for one year before I got one paid week off.

Kiwis love their coffee almost as much as the French do. Don't expect to find filter coffee here. Closest is a "long black".

Cafes are in existence as much here (in Wellington at least) as they are in France.

The fare found in these cafes is much more like Europe than the US.

Security around the place is more like England in the 70s.

People here have a great sense of humour and aren't really motivated by the almighty dollar, certainly not as much as in the US.

The working week is more like France (40 hours), not the UK or the US.

You get paid for overtime if you're salaried. (at least I do )

It doesn't rain nearly half as much as I was expecting!

Everything here is metric, like in France. Though people talk about "mileage" on a car, and some people use feet and inches when talking about a person's height. Those are the only two exceptions I've come across.

Um... I'll add more as I think of them.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:28 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

I think you need to get out more, some of that I will disagree with but its not Politically Correct to be negative publically anymore.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
After age 18, time spent in England: 6 years
In France: nearly 4 years
In the US: nearly 12 years. In that order.

Just my first few musings after being here 3 weeks and very much settled in and happy.

Driving here is dead easy, just watch out for that whacky right-turn rule.

Drivers are extremely pleasant and in driving here 3 weeks I've only been tailgated once. In the US I was tailgated on pretty much every single journey, and that's when going 5 over the limit too.

No drivers are more insane than in Paris.

The "can-do" attitude is very much in force here, and people lower down the ladder have more authority to just get stuff taken care of.

Pubs nearly exist here.

Mailboxes are US-style, out near the street. The post doesn't come through the door like in England and France

Pavements are US-style mostly, with a small amount of grass, just a few feet, between the pavement and the kerb.

The vast majority of drivers drive at or under the speed limit.

Motorways are free to use, like in the UK.

More people smoke than in the US, but less than in the UK. In my nearly 4 years in France, I only knew a handful of adults who didn't smoke.

Sweets are English in style, and you can get those French "chupa chups" lollipops.

Some schools have uniforms, but not too many (fewer than I thought would).

School starts at age 5, ie. Year 1, so a year earlier than in the US, and very slightly later (from memory) than in the UK.

People are SO friendly! Strangers on the street will smile and say hello. Children hold doors open for their elders.

Unlike the US, roundabouts are everywhere here (that took a little while for hubby to get used to!).

Although NZ uses dollars, the currency is more akin to UK coins and banknotes.

Statutory time-off is 4 weeks a year, thanks to legislation passed this year. In the US I had to work for one year before I got one paid week off.

Kiwis love their coffee almost as much as the French do. Don't expect to find filter coffee here. Closest is a "long black".

Cafes are in existence as much here (in Wellington at least) as they are in France.

The fare found in these cafes is much more like Europe than the US.

Security around the place is more like England in the 70s.

People here have a great sense of humour and aren't really motivated by the almighty dollar, certainly not as much as in the US.

The working week is more like France (40 hours), not the UK or the US.

You get paid for overtime if you're salaried. (at least I do )

It doesn't rain nearly half as much as I was expecting!

Everything here is metric, like in France. Though people talk about "mileage" on a car, and some people use feet and inches when talking about a person's height. Those are the only two exceptions I've come across.

Um... I'll add more as I think of them.
You'll notice from next week that kids have to give up there seat on the train for adults over here... and they do do it! I've seen them!!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:58 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
I think you need to get out more, some of that I will disagree with but its not Politically Correct to be negative publically anymore.
Oh please do elaborate.

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
You'll notice from next week that kids have to give up there seat on the train for adults over here... and they do do it! I've seen them!!
Too cool! I've found the children here to be really really polite, it's lovely!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Too cool! I've found the children here to be really really polite, it's lovely!
Too right - the kids over here are great, don't seem to be embarrassed about talking and being friendly to other kids parents, they're great.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

It doesnt normally stop you!!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

Hi Maz,
Intersting post, in which order would you rank the countries you have lived in?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:34 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
It doesnt normally stop you!!

Well after a few years being here and your not reckon we have an opinion thats not so perfectly clouded. that may or may not be shared by others.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:22 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Well after a few years being here and your not reckon we have an opinion thats not so perfectly clouded. that may or may not be shared by others.
But it is nice here!
And I agree with most of that stuff.

I don't get overtime though
So I mostly work my 37.5 hours and bugger off home
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:22 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
Hi Maz,
Intersting post, in which order would you rank the countries you have lived in?
Ooh that's a really good question and one I really cannot answer as the times I lived in them all were so different. I've not lived in England since 1992 so only really have from before that to draw on. Right now, and I fully admit I might still be in honeymoon phase (but I cannot wait to start work tomorrow either!), it's NZ. When I lived in England and France, though, I didn't have a child either. That makes a big difference as to what's important in your life. If I had gone to the US unmarried and with no child, then who knows, I might have ended up in a different city, living in the very centre and not minding if I worked all hours. But that's not the case here, so as circumstances change throughout one's life.

That was a bit of a non-answer wasn't it?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:25 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I don't get overtime though
So I mostly work my 37.5 hours and bugger off home
I'm expecting that to be the case for the vast majority of my work, however if I'm on call over a weekend or a bank holiday and am called out, then I get 1 1/2 or 2 times (depending on the type of day) and also a day off in lieu. Nice! In the US I was salaried and zero extra pay ever came my way for working overtime. My phone quite regularly rang at 9 at night, too...
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:29 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read it sounds like US employers screw over their staff at every opportunity
I can claim time in lieu for weekends if I work but it's at normal time, so not worth my while I reckon.
I have better things to do than work.

Like sit at the computer on forums. Hmm.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:32 pm
Maz

From what I've read it sounds like US employers screw over their staff at every opportunity
I can claim time in lieu for weekends if I work but it's at normal time, so not worth my while I reckon.
I have better things to do than work.
I had to work for a year in the US before I got one measly week off with pay. Bastards! I also had zero health insurance for the first 18 months of working in the US, very scary!

Like sit at the computer on forums. Hmm.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:45 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great post Maz. I've been here nearly 2.5 years and what you're saying still holds true for me.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:48 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Is this true?? Will it be the same on a bus do you know?? In over 2 years travelling by bus the only kids who will offer me a seat are Maori and Islander. Our bus is always full of 'international students' who obviously needed a good clip around the ear from their mothers ..... and didn't get it :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.