Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

Wikiposts

General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:54 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General musings, and comparisons with England, France and the US

I thought that was already the case - there have always been signs. And I was them do it every day when I was going to work on the train.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:01 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I thought that was already the case - there have always been signs. And I was them do it every day when I was going to work on the train.
yeah, give up your seat for 'elderly and disabled' - I'm not yet either of those I think the difference is in our location Rob.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:59 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
That's a great post Maz. I've been here nearly 2.5 years and what you're saying still holds true for me.
Thanks!

I just thought of another one... heated towel rails seem fairly common here, but heated houses do not. (let the fun begin! )
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I agree with a lot of what you said, Maz, but ChupaChupa, 'e come from Barcelona not France, Chupar - spanish for "to suck", i agree about the driving and smoking in NZ , all Latin countries are the same when it comes to these 2,

what do you think of the food here compare to France and USA ?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:53 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I like the overall quality of foodstuffs on sale here in New Zealand. The meats and fruit/veges are pretty good. The thing that the US has New Zealand beat by a country mile is the lack of decent Mexican food. I grew up on Mexican food in California and what allegedly passes for Mexican food here is nearly criminal.
¿Dónde son mis amigos Miguel, Jesús y Jose?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Does that mean sh!t?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

What the French think of the English.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle2799528.ece

Kip
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kippers

Kip

Nice one - that's hilarious
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:53 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
You'll notice from next week that kids have to give up there seat on the train for adults over here... and they do do it! I've seen them!!

Kids of what age? I have to say that as a mother of a 7 and 6 year old, I wouldn't encourage them (allow them even!) to give up their seat for an adult. Because I have noticed that their balance is akin to an elderly person's.

Teenagers I would feel totally differently about, but we always encourage our girls to sit on trains (actually I've just realised I really mean tubes on the London Underground) before we would, purely for safety reasons.

It may also be worth mentioning that both girls are able physically. The 7 year old can handle quite advanced balancing beams in gymnastics, but there must be something different about their centre of gravity when on tubes/trains!

So as something that I would not have appreciated pre-children, please don't assume it is necessarily rude for a young child to remain seated when an adult isn't.

But I agree that such repsectful qualities are learnt, mainly by one's parents, so we try to set good examples for the elderly, pregnant women (I can recall feeling sick on trains and no-one EVER offering their seat on so many occasions) and those travelling with young children.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:37 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

¿Dónde son mis amigos Miguel, Jesús y Jose?
Originally Posted by BEVS here
Does that mean sh!t?

'Where are my friends Miguel, Jesús and Jose?'
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Kids of what age? I have to say that as a mother of a 7 and 6 year old, I wouldn't encourage them (allow them even!) to give up their seat for an adult. Because I have noticed that their balance is akin to an elderly person's.

Teenagers I would feel totally differently about, but we always encourage our girls to sit on trains (actually I've just realised I really mean tubes on the London Underground) before we would, purely for safety reasons.
I think that this 'rule' applies to kids who are commuting to school on the trains so I suppose they would be aged 11+. (My eldest is 9 and I still nag him to sit down!!) It's mainly on the busy 'rush hour' trains that you see this happen.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Kip
I read somewhere that Brits go to live in France for romantic reasons (although see link below), the French come to England to get work, i.e unromantic reasons, at the end of the day Latin self - indulgence just does not pay it's own way. She doesn't mention French rudeness (especially Parisian), driving or smoking which are the worst aspects of La Vie Francaise,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6197921.stm

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Nov 4th 2007 at 7:25 am.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:25 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Kip
I think we have declared war over less
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I read somewhere that Brits go to live in France for romantic reasons (although see link below), the French come to England to get work, i.e unromantic reasons, at the end of the day Latin self - indulgence just does not pay it's own way. She doesn't mention French rudeness (especially Parisian), driving or smoking which are the worst aspects of La Vie Francaise,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6197921.stm

Yea, read that story before.
Could be it says a lot about Japanese sensitivity

Kip
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yea, read that story before.
Could be it says a lot about Japanese sensitivity

Kip
Wouldn't it be called Japanese tourist syndrome , if that was true ?
Not all about the rude Parisians, then ?
An example :- We went to a restaurant in Paris with our young kids, the manager said "No kids - Zis is not Macdonalds you know"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.