G'day!!

Old May 25th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all
Talking G'day!!

Hi There

My husband and I have been planning a move to NZ since we visited in 2004 and spent all of our savings. We can't move until early 2009 because of his current contract, which is OK as it gives us time to fine tune where we want to settle.

We have 2 boys aged 5 and 11, we love Christchurch but just need to make up our minds on which part. Schooling for the boys is our main priority and will influence where we settle.

We currently live in SE Asia and have moved frequently in the last 15 years. We hope that this will make the move to NZ easier, as we've never lived near extended family and we don't roots anywhere.

Looking forward to reading everyone's posts.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:33 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: G'day!!

Hello Happy Wanderer:

Southeast Asia, eh? If you have developed a taste for certain southeast Asian dishes not to worry as Christchurch is fairly well serviced in this area.
Old May 25th 2007, 2:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
Hi There

My husband and I have been planning a move to NZ since we visited in 2004 and spent all of our savings. We can't move until early 2009 because of his current contract, which is OK as it gives us time to fine tune where we want to settle.

We have 2 boys aged 5 and 11, we love Christchurch but just need to make up our minds on which part. Schooling for the boys is our main priority and will influence where we settle.

We currently live in SE Asia and have moved frequently in the last 15 years. We hope that this will make the move to NZ easier, as we've never lived near extended family and we don't roots anywhere.

Looking forward to reading everyone's posts.
Hi,

Welcome to the site.
Old May 26th 2007, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Hi Happynz

We have developed a real taste! we love the food here - and the boys will eat anything. Although my older son is a veggie, he'll happily eat tofu and every kind of fruit or veg. Hot and spicey sits very well with everyone in the family.
Originally Posted by happynz
Hello Happy Wanderer:

Southeast Asia, eh? If you have developed a taste for certain southeast Asian dishes not to worry as Christchurch is fairly well serviced in this area.
Old May 27th 2007, 6:48 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

We currently live in SE Asia and have moved frequently in the last 15 years.
Where exactly? Thailand? Cambodia?

I think Kurtz might be hiding in Dunedin....
Old May 27th 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

We're in Brunei at the moment, Northern Borneo. We've been here a year and have 2 more to go.

Originally Posted by Avid
Where exactly? Thailand? Cambodia?

I think Kurtz might be hiding in Dunedin....
Old May 27th 2007, 10:53 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We're in Brunei at the moment, Northern Borneo. We've been here a year and have 2 more to go.
Brunei, eh.....is it overflowing with money or is that just a myth?
Old May 27th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

It's complicated, and I'm no expert - so this is just my opinion based on what I've seen.

The country is still developing, and though the Royal Family is rich - the country itself isn't. The Royal Family don't take anything from the people, in fact the opposite is true. There are no taxes, what ever people make stays in their pockets, the harder they work the more they make. The Sultan/Royals work hard and look after the people. They seem to invest in the country and it's infrastructure, they create employment and encourage education with good schools & university, so it's not a benefits driven system.

The royals also pay for the roads, hospitals, health care, education, police etc. And most people seem to work for the govt. one way or another. I have to say here that the locals love them and are very loyal.

It's not unusual to see 12 bedroom mansions next to a wooden hut with no running water (families living in each). There are also entire communities living on stilted huts over the rivers.

They also have fabulous 6 star hotels and breathtaking mosques and palaces.

On the whole they are a very open, friendly and generous, what ever people have they are happy to share. It's very peaceful and quiet, the malls are always full and most families seem to own a smart car.

We love it here - although there was a black scorpion (creature not gang member) in our bathroom last night and I had a bit of a melt down. :curse:

Originally Posted by Avid
Brunei, eh.....is it overflowing with money or is that just a myth?