Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

GARDENING! A thread about gardens.

GARDENING! A thread about gardens.

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:12 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GARDENING! A thread about gardens.

I looked out at my lovely garden today, sun shining, seedlings waggling in the warmth and I felt really proper sad that my sister will never share it with me and her little daughter will never toddle round my garden.

I feel like I've got somewhere so special and wonderful to live and yet the people I want to share it with aren't here
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I have got 3 little cucumber sprouts and some signs of coriander shoots. I went to look at seeds today and came home with broad beans, peas, toms and lettuce, so that's my entertainment sorted for the weekend.

Now tell me, does anyone know owt about shallots? Le Warehouse have them 2 packets for $10 and I was quite tempted, until I saw that there were only three 'seeds' in each packet.

Seemed like they would be the most expensive shallots on the planet. If you planted three shallot seeds / sets, do you not end up with three bigger shallots...............or do they make babies and duplicate like flower bulbs?

I'll have to go and do some Googling as I am now wondering why wouldn't you just plant some shallots bought from the supermarket.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

All you ever needed to know anout shallots and some more:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-tim...yummy-shallots

I don't suppose even NZ grown organic shallots would be all that expensive, now all I have to do is try and find some.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Suns been shining so everything is less sogged.
Plan was to go to our wee vege garden and start getting things 'sorted' !

That was before I saw that the paddock that backs onto our section had turned into a major building site overnight. No warning. No nothin' .

TDC state no resource consent is in. No building plans but it's clear that there is going to be a mega monolith there soon.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:55 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Time to plant a screen BEVS. Can you begin earthworks without resource consent?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:09 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: GARDENING! A thread about gardens.

What a great weekend, I'm going to have a go at tobacco as well though I can't find much information about how to cure it?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:17 am
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What a great weekend, I'm going to have a go at tobacco as well though I can't find much information about how to cure it?
We got wain for the most part.

Tobacco. Interesting one. Wouldn't you just treat it the way you dry herbs?
They used to grow tobacco bigtime around here. I'll ask a good ole Kiwi boy if I bump into one.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Please do BEVS, apparently the leaf has a lot of ammonia in it that makes it unpleasant to smoke when dried so you cure it to release the ammonia.

For cigars they just have piles of leaves to ferment but it makes the smoke very acidic which is why people don't inhale cigar smoke. I'm growing the Virginia Gold however which is traditionally used in cigarettes. It's an experiment as I don't really smoke much any more, never had the commitment o make it a habit anyway.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:12 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Tomatoes are coming along, really starting to take now and the sunflower/pumpkins have started to go out into the garden. I'll just frost cloth 'em if the temperature drops below zero.

A video to inspire you to plant some things:
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:05 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Cut the bottoms off some pop bottles to protect the plants already out from the frost tonight.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 6:33 am
`

I know. It's gotten altogether too cold again.

I haven't forgotten about the tobacco . I was a bit AWOL from certain places this week where I might have had the conversation.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:19 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Still cold and growth slow here, we need warmness.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:54 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

The biscuit garden is going mental!

Anyone like some pics? I'm dead proud of my garden, I am
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:55 am
---

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I looked out at my lovely garden today, sun shining, seedlings waggling in the warmth and I felt really proper sad that my sister will never share it with me and her little daughter will never toddle round my garden.

I feel like I've got somewhere so special and wonderful to live and yet the people I want to share it with aren't here
Oh look! I must have written that just a few weeks before deciding to leave!
Old Nov 24th 2012, 10:46 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Fickle.

Anyway my plants are growing fast but not as fast as my weeds, I've given up on pulling and went straight to straying anything which looks weedesque with poison .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.