Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Fridges & Freezers - too old?

Fridges & Freezers - too old?

Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fridges & Freezers - too old?

After speaking to our shipper, he advises only certain age fridges, freezers and fridge freezers can be taken into NZ something to do with CFC's???. Ours eventhough 6 years old are still perfectly good and we would like to take them.

I understand there is somewhere you can look up to see if your item is suitable to take, but cant find it.

Does anyone know where we can check, will ask our shipper, but currently hes away and would like to get it sorted asap.

Thanks

Last edited by ellenarosemary; Jul 21st 2012 at 5:49 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 9:20 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fridges & Freezers - too old?

we bought ours over and it was more than 6yrs.
I would personally say get them to provide the legislation that states you can't take it rather than you hunt around for information on if you can.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the room in your container and the funds, you might consider buying a new unit in the UK, remove the packaging, plug it in and use it for a while, then repackage it ready for shipping.

Why? You'll probably have a wider choice and know what you're prepared to pay.

Clearly, if you don't have the container space or the funds or if you're going to be in rented accommodation for any length of time, then this might not work for you.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be wary of bringing old or new fridges and freezers, unless they fit within the usual Kiwi house specs or you're prepared to use them as a back-up in the garage or something.

Most standard kitchens you'll see here are built to accomodate the usual / bog standard Fisher and Paykel full fridge and half freezer type.

http://www.fisherpaykel.co.nz/produc...ottom-freezer/

We used to have under the counter separates in the UK and no way would they have been accomodated in any Kiwi kitchen that I have seen here, without having to do some major reconfiguration.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jul 22nd 2012 at 12:54 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:29 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
After speaking to our shipper, he advises only certain age fridges, freezers and fridge freezers can be taken into NZ something to do with CFC's???. Ours eventhough 6 years old are still perfectly good and we would like to take them.

I understand there is somewhere you can look up to see if your item is suitable to take, but cant find it.

Does anyone know where we can check, will ask our shipper, but currently hes away and would like to get it sorted asap.

Thanks
Bring it. Ours was 10 years old and OK. As Roger said, bring a new one if you can, as the choice here is dire. We've just bought a new one for twice the price of an equivalent in the UK
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Bring it. Ours was 10 years old and OK. As Roger said, bring a new one if you can, as the choice here is dire. We've just bought a new one for twice the price of an equivalent in the UK
I hope you bargained with 'em. Wish we'd bought a new one from the UK, I don't like my Fisher & Paykel one. Not enough room in the freezer section. If we ever have any spare dosh, I'd rip out our kitchen & get a Bosch or Miele one.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our Smeg fridge freezer across, it sat in the garage in our rental as it did not fit and it was only when we bought and had a new kitchen fitted that we could bring it into the house. So just be aware that it may or may not fit into your new house (kitchen)
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:34 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I'd be wary of bringing old or new fridges and freezers, unless they fit within the usual Kiwi house specs or you're prepared to use them as a back-up in the garage or something.

I agree if its an under the counter type one then I personally wouldn't bother. If its an American style fridge/freezer then it may fit into a Kiwi kitchen but you may find it doesn't. We bought both the fridge/freezer and range cooker. seriously wish I had taken up the offer from someone before me moved on buying the range cooker. To get ours to fit in without a complete refit was to buy a new build not yet built. or as we might do here do a refit.