Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Freeview decoders from the UK

Freeview decoders from the UK

Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Rosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the rough
Default Freeview decoders from the UK

Hello fellow expats,

My family and I are planning on going back to the UK for a few weeks, and I was wondering if anyone would know if the cheap UK freeview decoders would work here in NZ?

I think as the UK decoders are only about £25 it would be a huge saving if they did work!

Does anyone know at all please?

Many Thanks

RosieSue
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freeview decoders from the UK

Originally Posted by Rosiesue
Hello fellow expats,

My family and I are planning on going back to the UK for a few weeks, and I was wondering if anyone would know if the cheap UK freeview decoders would work here in NZ?

I think as the UK decoders are only about £25 it would be a huge saving if they did work!

Does anyone know at all please?

Many Thanks

RosieSue
not as yet although freeview via your aerial (as opposed to satellite is due next year AFIK) - there is a recent thread about this here, I think
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Rosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the rough

Thanks lardyl,

I have tried looking for the old thread, but cant find it? Is the thread called Freeview or something like that?

Sorry to ask such a silly question, but you say that Freeview via Ariel will be available in NZ next year? does that mean that the UK freeview decoders will work when they release that method of broadcasting then in NZ next year?

If there is a existing thread on this, do you know what it is called so i can have a read please?

Many Thanks

RosieSue
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:10 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We brought our freeview digiboxes with us (arrived May 07) but unfortunately they don't work. Our daughter is quite upset as she bought hers with some Christmas money she got last year. It only cost 24 pounds from Tesco! but we can't afford to replace it here. None of the portable tv's work either even though they are less than 12 months old but they're ok for games (ps2 etc). The main tv works as we have it running with Sky. We're going to keep hold of the digiboxes though - just in case they work one day when NZ up to speed with the freeview thing.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Many Thanks for that info, I will hold off on buying a freeview box from the UK to bring to NZ now.

Hopefully, NZ will indeed catch up with the freeview and your daughters set top box will work in the future.

Many Thanks

RosieSue.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:37 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks for that info, I will hold off on buying a freeview box from the UK to bring to NZ now.

Hopefully, NZ will indeed catch up with the freeview and your daughters set top box will work in the future.

Many Thanks

RosieSue.
here's a place to start looking:
http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/
the other thread was in another forum that I am not allowed to quote here
Old Jul 21st 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi jacky g here
sorry to change subject from freeview to sky,but whats going on with programmes in nz,we got sky fitted yesterday(basic package) tv still crapim so sad really miss my soaps,watched emerdale other night tom king and charity dingle just got engagedanyway only moan i have everything else good,just needed to sound of on tv programmes.paying 42 dollars month for son to watch cartoons:curse:
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:45 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks lardyl,

I have tried looking for the old thread, but cant find it? Is the thread called Freeview or something like that?

Sorry to ask such a silly question, but you say that Freeview via Ariel will be available in NZ next year? does that mean that the UK freeview decoders will work when they release that method of broadcasting then in NZ next year?

If there is a existing thread on this, do you know what it is called so i can have a read please?

Many Thanks

RosieSue
As far as my technical knowledge and memory goes, when they set up the UK freeview system only two alternative systems were tested. If i am correct and nothing has changed since, should be a 50/50 chance of uk boxes working here.
Hope so cos our tele (from UK) has a built in DVB reciever

Adie
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:35 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie
As far as my technical knowledge and memory goes, when they set up the UK freeview system only two alternative systems were tested. If i am correct and nothing has changed since, should be a 50/50 chance of uk boxes working here.
Hope so cos our tele (from UK) has a built in DVB reciever

Adie
This site provides more info and they allegedly will decide if a STB (set top box) is compliant with NZ freeview:
http://freeviewnz.tv/index.php?section_id=3
Good luck. Left my STBs (both of em in UK)...... :-((
The coverage for 2008 rollout of Freeview via an aerial (as we would know "Freeview" in the UK) is on this map (I knew I'd uploaded this somewhere before but where?? - doh!):
Attached Thumbnails Freeview decoders from the UK-terrestrialmap.gif  

Last edited by lardyl; Jul 22nd 2007 at 11:37 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

rubini is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so now we have established that it is possible to get Freeview in NZ here is the million dollar question How much is a STB in NZ as UK now sell STB's for as little as £20
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:45 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Currently add a zero to that 20 then change it to a NZ$ instead of the £

probably add a few dollars on top of that depending on supplier.