Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Freedom to Choose - Where?

Freedom to Choose - Where?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:15 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freedom to Choose - Where?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
It'd be closer to UK by a very long chalk, have all the lifestyle factors of NZ but be in Europe with all the culture you can shake a stick at.

You want to be nearer to the UK in a country that is similar to New Zealand but speaks French?

C-A-N-A-D-A
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:47 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

I do rather agree though that with that sort of money one could easily live a lifestyle oblivious to the problems and issues most dislike about the UK- if I was retiring somewhere with oodles of cash I'd choose South of France every time
That's a very interesting question. Where would you go if money were no object whatsoever? I would have to think hard about it but it definitely wouldn't be France. I'd rather stick wasps up my arse than live in France. Good job we are all different, eh?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
That's a very interesting question. Where would you go if money were no object whatsoever?
St Helena, and one day I'll get there.

I have always wanted to go, well since 1998 anyway
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:39 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Where would you go if money were no object whatsoever?
I'd have my main abode here somewhere on the South Island. That would suit me.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:47 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
You want to be nearer to the UK in a country that is similar to New Zealand but speaks French?

C-A-N-A-D-A
Nope, if I had four million I wouldn't choose Canada- I'd choose France.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

is vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz
I'd have my main abode here somewhere on the South Island. That would suit me.
france is a damn site cheaper that nz....so what's stopping you......
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:26 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by is vic there...
france is a damn site cheaper than nz....so what's stopping you......
I can't speak a lick of French for one, although I could probably pick up enough to make the locals' ears bleed.

Secondly I don't have an EU passport which would make it more difficult to secure residency. However, assuming I was rich enough I suppose I could hire a 'fixer'.

Never mind though. It's all I can do to just scrape by here. Dreaming is nice admittedly.

Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:35 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to be right sad git and say I'd stay right here! In this wee house, exactly where we are!
BUT...I would buy a convertible cream beetle and a bach at Taupo bay - then life would be even more perfect. ( oh and 2 new sofas!)
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:24 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

If someone offered me $4/£4 million to spend the rest of my life in NZ I would honestly turn it down. I'd go there for a great holiday but would never consider living there again. Not just because I like it here so much but because NZ just doesn't "do it" for me anymore.

Some people love the place, have found their corner of heaven and it's fantastic that they've somewhere that ticks all the boxes, good luck to them
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

In the south island you might try Queenstown, which is situated amongst beautiful mountains and lakes, if you like skiing. It's not always that warm though and gets snow in winter. Alexandra in Central Otago is hot as hell in summer, but freezing cold in winter. Geraldine is a small, pretty place set amongst rolling hills, with lots of arty crafty shops - warm in summer,, but again very cold in winter. You really do have to go north a way to get warm, although Nelson has the greatest sunshine hours, I believe. There's a peninsula north of Auckland, the name of which has gone out of my head that's nice. Also nice villages, if you want to use that term, around Warkworth, and it is much warmer up there
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:27 am

Whangaparoa?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

That's the chappy.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:44 am

Nice place - great views and not so hemmed in as the Shore
Old Mar 29th 2008, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Nerine;6122051]If someone offered me $4/£4 million to spend the rest of my life in NZ I would honestly turn it down.

Please ask them to PM me, because I could quite happily spend the rest of my life here. With all the water problems and unrest generally around the world I think NZ (because of its size, neutrality, remotness, excellent rainfall generally) is probably one of the safest places in the world longterm.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:18 am

Nah....PM them yourself .

As I said before NZ is the sort of place you go to when you want to get away from the real world. Life isn't about being "safe" it's about achievement, fulfillment, experience and personal growth, you can't do that if you're hiding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.