Reload this Page >

Freedom to Choose - Where?

Freedom to Choose - Where?

Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

zengirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Freedom to Choose - Where?

Hello.

We are really fed up with England. Really. I have recently discovered that I'm pregnant (possibly with twins) and we just don't want to bring our children up in the aggressive, over-populated, angry atmosphere of England. There are so many stabbings, road rage incidents, drugs, etc etc... we want a quieter, safer life elsewhere. Of course many consider Europe or America etc... but we are considering New Zealand as our preferred destination. However, we're only just at the beginning of the process and quite expect it to take a few years. My husband would need to sell his business (he wouldn't sell for less than 4 million so money would not be a problem for us) and that could take some time too.

My question is, if money isn't a problem, with my husband in a top notch job, and me educated to Masters Degree level (I'm a senior copywriter with my own business) where should we research as a place to live in NZ?

Our priorities are (of course!) a lovely warm climate, safe and good for children, not a city - even a village or small town would be fine near a good school. Our children and their happiness will be our primary concern!

I know I'm asking a really complicated question - just wondered if anyone could give us some pointers or recommend a good area considering what we want?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freedom to Choose - Where?

I can only recommend that you go and visit before you make any decisions.

Yes NZ is beautiful, quiet, safer etc but it's not without its own problems and it is a LONG way from anywhere else. It is also sport obsessed, most houses lack central heating and double glazing and TV is truly appalling!

If you want a warm climate you'll have to go for the north of the North Island - but even then it can be quite rainy. Don't believe all the publicity shots of hot sunny climates - it's not like Australia!

Personally I love it and we're looking forward to emigrating as soon as we can sell up here. My husband is a Kiwi and we've taken our kids out to visit.

The visa immigration process is long and expensive (even if you're married to a Kiwi!), so go and visit as soon as you can to help you make your mind up if it's right for you.

Good luck - it's not easy trying to escape the UK!!!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

zengirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply.

We do certainly intend to visit - several times hopefully.

Thanks for the tip about the weather. It is high up on the agenda to have good weather - warmer than the UK for sure.

Sport obsessed? I hope we can ignore much of it as we do here in England. Neither of us have much, if anything to do with football or rugby etc yet the UK seems obsessed too.

No central heating? Huh? Why?

Appalling TV? Don't mind at all. We hardly ever watch British TV.

Where are you going to live in NZ? The country is so big that we weren't even sure where to begin if you know what I mean. And we know we don't want the city or cold weather and we know we'd need a safe, quiet place - good for children...

Anyone any tips for starters??
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:19 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I would take a leisurely tour around the country and see where you like best. The places that I loved were:

Bay of Islands - especially Russell
Christchurch and surrounds. Akaroa is really beautiful
Nelson
Bay of plenty

You may also want to consider Australia too. I've never been but people rave about Tasmania all the time. There are some beautiful spots in WA too outside the city.

I would just plan a HUGE reccie trip and see where captures your soul. Have fun.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:21 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend adding the following to your reccie list:

Queenstown and Wanaka
The other larger centres (Dunedin, Wellington and Auckland)
Blenheim
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zengirl
Hello.

We are really fed up with England. Really. I have recently discovered that I'm pregnant (possibly with twins) and we just don't want to bring our children up in the aggressive, over-populated, angry atmosphere of England. There are so many stabbings, road rage incidents, drugs, etc etc... we want a quieter, safer life elsewhere. Of course many consider Europe or America etc... but we are considering New Zealand as our preferred destination. However, we're only just at the beginning of the process and quite expect it to take a few years. My husband would need to sell his business (he wouldn't sell for less than 4 million so money would not be a problem for us) and that could take some time too.
A word of warning.. and this is just my opinion.. becareful of grass greener syndrome.. If you're a happy person you'll be happy anywhere, if you are looking to find faults with a place.. you will.

Good luck with your adventure!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:29 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hawkes Bay is beautiful and the weather is waaaaaaaaay better than any part of the UK.

Sport is a high priority here, which is odd for me as a lardy sort of person but I enjoy watching and being out in the great outdoors (albeit at a more leisurely pace than the average Kiwi) and my kids are just having a total blast with the sport provision here in the school. My ultra sporty older kid is honestly in heaven and my less sporty younger one is so much fitter and looks like she may well join her older sister, so I'm pleased.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zengirl

Our priorities are (of course!) a lovely warm climate, safe and good for children, not a city - even a village or small town would be fine near a good school. Our children and their happiness will be our primary concern!

I know I'm asking a really complicated question - just wondered if anyone could give us some pointers or recommend a good area considering what we want?
Well, there arent any villages, not as you know them anyway.
With the amount of money you have, I think Id find a nice place in Europe.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:44 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Well, there arent any villages, not as you know them anyway.
With the amount of money you have, I think Id find a nice place in Europe.
There are! I live in one- established over a hundred years ago with a domain where the community play cricket on Sundays and a small school with tennis courts that are used likewise on Thursdays. I live The Archers here- complete with St Stephens, the Grundys, the conventional generations old farmers, the new blood with their new ways- women's film club and supper, community working bees .....

Missed the bit in your post where you mention the $4 million- that's enough to be 100% oblivious of NZs underbelly- enjoy; you'll live like Kings here
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I live in a really great little village.

I live The Archers here
So do we.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:50 am
---

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I live in a really great little village.

So do we.
Blimey- perhaps we're neighbours!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

You could problably buy half of the north island with that much money, !!!

Sorry had to say it
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get a huge house in the Yorkshire Dales if I had that kind of money

Or the lakes

Last edited by mickey_d; Mar 19th 2008 at 10:53 am.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:00 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
You could problably buy half of the north island with that much money, !!!
All of it if you paid only what it was worth.

On the other hand you might only get a couple of acres in the Wakatipu basin.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:47 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

i have to ask this, but why would you want to publish how much you are worth and of what relevance is it? Are you wanting to know where the other multi millionaires live?

I am not one, but had I have been able to afford to I would have done a complete tour of the country, and with your twins still being babies, you could easily do this without having to worry about preschool/kindie.

Assess your business/employment requirements. Will you need to be living in the centre of a city, or within commuting distance. Or could you get away with just popping into the office once a week. Remember some parts of the country may look a hop skip and jump into the city, but actually take an hour longer because of the hills and windy roads.

You are fortunate in that you are in a better position than most to be able to buy a house and install heating, double glazing and make it a comfy home, so dont fret too much about that.

With a bit more capital behind you you have so many more options. Have you thought about perhaps living near the city, and having a holiday home (bach) on the coast? That way you can achieve the best of both worlds.

Anyway best of luck with your pregnancy - hope its all you wish for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.