Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by PaulGent
It looks like we have a quorum for the 16th November!

So...everyone find your diary or the fridge calendar and write it in BIG RED letters!!!

As the motto for the evening I would like to suggest the same moto as the one for the Ullyses Motorbike club I belong to. It's "Growing Old Disgracefully". Prizes may be awarded to the disgraceful behaviour on the night.

One other rule ..... No cameras after the 2nd round of drinks. Pictures of me are always blurred after 2 drinks...

I'll keep you all in touch with arrangements as we get closer to the date.

Paul
Any of the Pap locals fancy a pre-big night out, night out. Don't think I can wait 'til November!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

niznay is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everybody, we are moving from leicester to papamoa at the beginning of november. we are having a house built but it won't be ready until feb, so if anybody has any info on short term rentals in the papamoa area please let us know, we have got three kids boy (15) two girls (13 & 9 ) simon and sandra
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Niznay and welcome to this forum.
Love the picture of the cat. Looks like my TylerBaBA
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by niznay
hi everybody, we are moving from leicester to papamoa at the beginning of november. we are having a house built but it won't be ready until feb, so if anybody has any info on short term rentals in the papamoa area please let us know, we have got three kids boy (15) two girls (13 & 9 ) simon and sandra
You need to talk to Amloolah, she is the mentor, regarding property.

Looking forward to meeting you when you arrive and helping with anything in the meantime. What do you plan to do upon arrival (work) - I have 20 other questions but don't want to appear too nosey!!

Our kids are, girl 17 and 3 boys 15, 14 and 11
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

Hi Simon and Sandra,
I don't have a rental property but have advice. Nov Dec is a tough time of year to find a short term rental by the beach, we had a bit of a mare as most places are let for xmas/start of summer.
We were advised to advertise in the paper, as a lot of landlords don't advertise properties but rather look out for tennants.
Just a thought. But however you go about it get something sorted well before if you can.

Oh and your BT phones WILL work over here, as will your tv if you have SKY-TV, it's only the std co-axial ariel signal that won't work.

Sam & Nick
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:30 am
Just Joined

tallpaul2uk will become famous soon enoughtallpaul2uk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oolie
How old are your kids? Do you know where in Tauranga you are going to live? We are going to try and find something to rent in Matua but not sure how easy that is looking at the internet doesnt seem to be much there but lots for sale and NZD/GBP going in our favour.
Hi oolie,

rentals in Taurnaga got the same day. So most of them never get advertised. You need to arrive, visit all of the estate agents to get a list, do a drive buy and pick the one you want. By the time you drive by the best ones have normally gone anyway so get in quick. Local paper is also good but again by the time you call, most have gone. Wouldn't really bother with the internet.

Paul
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:35 am
Just Joined

tallpaul2uk will become famous soon enoughtallpaul2uk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PaulGent
It looks like we have a quorum for the 16th November!

So...everyone find your diary or the fridge calendar and write it in BIG RED letters!!!

As the motto for the evening I would like to suggest the same moto as the one for the Ullyses Motorbike club I belong to. It's "Growing Old Disgracefully". Prizes may be awarded to the disgraceful behaviour on the night.

One other rule ..... No cameras after the 2nd round of drinks. Pictures of me are always blurred after 2 drinks...

I'll keep you all in touch with arrangements as we get closer to the date.

Paul
Hi Paul.

16th Sounds good to me.

Last edited by tallpaul2uk; Aug 22nd 2007 at 1:36 am. Reason: wrong date
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

hi liz and everybody im a bricklayer and got offered a job when we came over in 2006 and i think the missus is planning on retiring when we arrive (we'll see), we have to move out of our house in 2 weeks so every thing is a bit upside down at the moment, also the kids are worried that they won't make any friends but i'm sure they will looking forward to a meet up when we arrive simon
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

oolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really nice

Originally Posted by tallpaul2uk
Hi oolie,

rentals in Taurnaga got the same day. So most of them never get advertised. You need to arrive, visit all of the estate agents to get a list, do a drive buy and pick the one you want. By the time you drive by the best ones have normally gone anyway so get in quick. Local paper is also good but again by the time you call, most have gone. Wouldn't really bother with the internet.

Paul
Thanks for that - why do they go so quick? Is it really popular or not a lot of property? Do you know what is happening with house prices (buying not renting)? Someone told me houses are being sold for about a third less than they are being marketed for - is that really right??? Starting to feel going somewhere even more crazy than the uk...
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that - why do they go so quick? Is it really popular or not a lot of property? Do you know what is happening with house prices (buying not renting)? Someone told me houses are being sold for about a third less than they are being marketed for - is that really right??? Starting to feel going somewhere even more crazy than the uk...
Hello there,
The Bay of Plenty and Tauranga is a holiday destination for kiwis, its beautiful by the beach and there are a lot of properties and a big boom in new houses being built, this is why the rentals go so quickly.

No, they do not sell for a 3rd less than the asking price! If only! Tauranga is one of the most expensive places to live in NZ as its so picturesque, the problem is that the wages are lower than say in Auckland, so higher house prices and lower wages. GST (VAT) is put onto grocery shopping too so this tends to be more expensive. BUT there are benefis such as cheaper cars, very low car insurance payments (cost us £100 fully comp for both of us for the full year) loads of stuff for families to do outdoors, great kids clubs etc which are all priced really well (mini soccer, surf club etc). Our kids have swimming lessons at the local pool which are fantastic and cheaper than the UK. Only 4 kids in a class too. Childcare is half the price than the UK.

I suppose the best advise I can give is dont ever come here expecting it to be cheap, its not! But the lifestyle is better. If people return to the UK its usually because its been more expensive than they expected it to be. I really miss the UK as the choice here is much more limited for stuff, but when the sun shines on days like today and twinkles on the sea, it makes me wonder why I'd ever want to leave.

Like anyway, it has its good and its bad bits!!

Good luck with it all, you really have to try it for yourselves

Sam and Nick (here since Oct 2005)
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Sandra,

We are moving over too soon and hopefully will be near the notorious AmLoolah. Our kids are girls 17 & 13 and twin boys of 10. They are also a bit worried about making new friends but there seems enough of us brits to have a get together and make it a bit better for them.

I am getting the eldest 2 to start reading and researching the area so they can pick out things to do and it seems that the more they get involved the more they want to go IMO

Best of luck with the move and hope to see you there.

Nici
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

hi nici, is there a way that we can contact you direct as we would love to chat to you whilst we are still in england sandra
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Rentals go so quickly becasue the demand is so big. Lots of people come to tauranga. Not just from overseas but people who are fed up with Auckland. One estimate said that it was 50 new people move here very week in Summer time.

House prices have contnues to rise here. They sell for just under the asking price (same as Uk)
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

hi nici, is there a way that we can contact you direct as we would love to chat to you whilst we are still in england sandra
Have sent a PM to you with my mobile number.

Give us a text/call anytime Sandra.

Nici
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:44 am
Just Joined

welshstevey has a spectacular aura aboutwelshstevey has a spectacular aura aboutwelshstevey has a spectacular aura about

Hello everyone !!
Arrived end of Aug with better half and the 3 kids (12,10 & 10 - twins!) They start Tahiti Coast on Mon thank god!!!!.Settled in to a rental on Papamoa Beach Rd.
Well up for meeting up on 16th Nov, earlier if anyone fancies a pre night out night out!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.