Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:12 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mt Maunganui
Posts: 7
Isabel&David is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Hi everyone,

me and Dave have lived here for 10 months now and have not made many friends yet! We are starting to feel a bit lonely.....anyone wants to meet up???? We live in Mount Maunganui but will move to Papamoa in a few weeks.

Cheers
Dave & Isabel
Isabel&David is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:15 am
  #2  
Melbourne Australia
 
thebears's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,169
thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by Isabel&David
Hi everyone,

me and Dave have lived here for 10 months now and have not made many friends yet! We are starting to feel a bit lonely.....anyone wants to meet up???? We live in Mount Maunganui but will move to Papamoa in a few weeks.

Cheers
Dave & Isabel
We will be there for xmas. What no friends in 10 months? Make sure you get a ticket for the Papamoa pub for new years then.

What line of work are you in?

You definitely should not be lonely at the Mount. What about a big BBQ or picnic at or near the Surf Club? Or a Meet at the Hot pools?

Kiwi
thebears is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:34 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
helinuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,389
helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Hello Dave and Isobel,
we are looking into living in this area too. I'm a bit concerned you haven't made friends. Aren't there any clubs, gyms, classes, pubs, work.
Are you sporty?
We would definately be open to a meet up if/when we come to nz. I'm sure there are people from this forum you could meet up with.

Post on here to get to know the BE members in NZ.I'm sure that will help you.
( when we thought we were going to OZ I got to know heaps of people in Melbourne and went to the BE meet ups when I was doing the reccie trips, they were friendly)
keep plugging away.
good luck.
Helen
helinuk is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:59 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mt Maunganui
Posts: 7
Isabel&David is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hello Dave and Isobel,
we are looking into living in this area too. I'm a bit concerned you haven't made friends. Aren't there any clubs, gyms, classes, pubs, work.
Are you sporty?
We would definately be open to a meet up if/when we come to nz. I'm sure there are people from this forum you could meet up with.

Post on here to get to know the BE members in NZ.I'm sure that will help you.
( when we thought we were going to OZ I got to know heaps of people in Melbourne and went to the BE meet ups when I was doing the reccie trips, they were friendly)
keep plugging away.
good luck.
Helen
Hmm....ok...
we both go to the gym, do classes and work, but.....
in the gym everyone tends to do their own thing anyway and work, well, we work in the same company and have 4 collegues, including the boss!!
Well, I suppose we could make a bit more effort to find some friends!!
We have just bought a house in Papamoa and will move beginning of September. We both agree that we need to meet people and have some fun!!

Last Christmas was quite bad for us over here, we had not long been here, missed our families and friends back home like mad and were really lonely.
Its all gonna change this year cause we will make lots of friends!

Cheers
Isabel x
Isabel&David is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:22 pm
  #5  
Melbourne Australia
 
thebears's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,169
thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by Isabel&David
Hmm....ok...
we both go to the gym, do classes and work, but.....
in the gym everyone tends to do their own thing anyway and work, well, we work in the same company and have 4 collegues, including the boss!!
Well, I suppose we could make a bit more effort to find some friends!!
We have just bought a house in Papamoa and will move beginning of September. We both agree that we need to meet people and have some fun!!

Last Christmas was quite bad for us over here, we had not long been here, missed our families and friends back home like mad and were really lonely.
Its all gonna change this year cause we will make lots of friends!

Cheers
Isabel x
You could get involved with the local Jaycees or Lions. Used to meet endless people in the bar across the road from the Surf club. But now that has been pulled down and apartments put up. Guess as the barmen they have to talk with me too
thebears is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:31 pm
  #6  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by thebears
You could get involved with the local Jaycees or Lions. Used to meet endless people in the bar across the road from the Surf club. But now that has been pulled down and apartments put up. Guess as the barmen they have to talk with me too
We're looking at your very area for our impending move - hopefully just after Christmas. We were hoping we might meet people through kids schools etc? We're not exactly sporty, but may have to reconsider this in order to meet people! Best get in training now!

Funnily we were thinking of Papamoa as didn't think we'd afford Mt Manganui?

Keep smiling.

Caroline & Dave
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:50 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 77
daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Hi both - we are just going through the visa application process. I have a job offer and they want me there for Oct ish time (or as soon as). We are looking to live in the Papamoa area, but maybe rent furnished for the first few weeks and Mount Maunganui looks best for this (although quite dear!). Would love to meet up for a drink, BBQ or you could show us the sights when we first arrive.....you can me and my fella into Kiwi life


Laura and Jim
daviesl is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:59 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Maunganui
Posts: 13
Dave&Izzy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by thebears
You could get involved with the local Jaycees or Lions. Used to meet endless people in the bar across the road from the Surf club. But now that has been pulled down and apartments put up. Guess as the barmen they have to talk with me too
Hmm....we'll be right at the beginning of Papamoa though... its Pacific View Road i think...woohoo, we got our finance through for our house, this Friday our contract will go unconditional and we will move in beginning of September!!
Can't wait, we're both so excited. At the moment we are renting in Bayfair, which is really nice too.
Dave&Izzy is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:05 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Maunganui
Posts: 13
Dave&Izzy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We're looking at your very area for our impending move - hopefully just after Christmas. We were hoping we might meet people through kids schools etc? We're not exactly sporty, but may have to reconsider this in order to meet people! Best get in training now!

Funnily we were thinking of Papamoa as didn't think we'd afford Mt Manganui?

Keep smiling.

Caroline & Dave
Hi Caroline & Dave,

Well, since we've been here, and that is coming up to 10 months now, we have been looking at houses all over the place! To find a nice enough home for what we could afford in the Mount, you dont get a lot! We looked over the other side too, Welcome Bay and Tauranga, but then if you work in the Mount like we do, its a bit of a pain to queue up for the bridge in the morning and afternoon! So we started looking in early Papamoa and you just get so much more for your money!! I think we've made the right move buying in Papamoa as it is growing so fast and some of the houses there are just simply amazing! All nice and new and you dont need to do anything to it!
After all we will be about 15 mins walk away from the beach, woooohooo!!
And, I've heard that there are a lot of english people in Papamoa!

Izzy x
Dave&Izzy is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:14 am
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Maunganui
Posts: 13
Dave&Izzy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by daviesl
Hi both - we are just going through the visa application process. I have a job offer and they want me there for Oct ish time (or as soon as). We are looking to live in the Papamoa area, but maybe rent furnished for the first few weeks and Mount Maunganui looks best for this (although quite dear!). Would love to meet up for a drink, BBQ or you could show us the sights when we first arrive.....you can me and my fella into Kiwi life


Laura and Jim
Hi Laura & Jim,

October sounds good! Are you having any of your furniture shipped over here?
October time should be fine with renting, as soon as it gets towards christmas though you will struggle to find rentals as everyone wants to come to the Mount for christmas and home owners rent out their properties for ridicolous ammounts!!! We got here in October las year and I had to look quite hard to find somewhere, but as soon as you know more as to when exactly you are going to arrive, I can get some rental info for you. I will just pick up some rental lists from the estate agents for you if you like!
We are moving out of our place in Bayfair, which is close enough to the Mount, in a month, its a lovely place but it will prob be gone by the time you get here. Nevermind there will be somewhere!
How old are you if you dont mind me asking? Me and Dave are 26 and 28 and havent got any kids of our own yet. We have got my hubbies brother (15) living with us though, which sort of counts as a child...!

Now, hurry up and get out here so we can fire up the barbie!!

Izzy x
Dave&Izzy is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:51 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Tauranga, Bay of Plenty
Posts: 117
PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Hi Isabel and David,

My wife Carolyn and I have been in NZ since October last year and we bought a house in Bethlehem in January. We are both working in Tauranga. Work keeps us pretty busy but I do like the idea of a get together - even if it's just for a few drinks.
We are back in UK on hols from 18th Aug till 10th Sept but after that would be great. If you email me then I will let you have our contact details and we can arrange a
We are enjoying life here even through the winter. I am joining a motorbike club in the city so I am looking forward to some grand tours in the spring and summer. Carolyn is a member of a local (women only ) gym which seems to occupy her most evenings of the week.
Let me know when you would liek to meet up and we'll make it happen.
Best wishes Paul
PaulGent is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:15 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mt Maunganui
Posts: 7
Isabel&David is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Ups.....Sorry if it confused anyone but I have been posting with two different user names!! Duh!! Isabel&David and Dave&Izzy is both us! Sorry guys. What happened, at home my lap top automatically logges me on as Isabel&David and at work my pc logges me on as Dave&Izzy! Sorry again.

Hi Paul,

Sounds good, hope you will be enjoying your holiday back home in the UK.
We went back a few weeks ago and the weather was unreal!!
We really enjoyed catching up with everyone but also really enjoyed coming back here.
We'll hopefully see you when we're back. I will send you a PM and give you our telephone number.

Cheers
Isabel&David is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:42 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 77
daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Hi Both
We are hoping to get furniture shipped yes. More things are coming with us that previously thought after reading the thread's on here about what to take i.e. everything you can... We haven't got as far as looking into shipping companies or getting quotes yet, as we are desperately trying to get our house finished and ready to let out. From what I have heard though it takes about 6-8weeks for the shipment? is that about right?

Thanks for the offer of looking into rentals may PM you nearer the time. Any help can only be good

As for ages arrhhh I have just turned the big 30!!!! :scared: and Jim is 32, ditto on the kids front, we have none either. Will hold you to the barbie!!

Laura and Jim
daviesl is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:01 pm
  #14  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by daviesl
Hi Both
We are hoping to get furniture shipped yes. More things are coming with us that previously thought after reading the thread's on here about what to take i.e. everything you can... We haven't got as far as looking into shipping companies or getting quotes yet, as we are desperately trying to get our house finished and ready to let out. From what I have heard though it takes about 6-8weeks for the shipment? is that about right?

Thanks for the offer of looking into rentals may PM you nearer the time. Any help can only be good

As for ages arrhhh I have just turned the big 30!!!! :scared: and Jim is 32, ditto on the kids front, we have none either. Will hold you to the barbie!!

Laura and Jim
We've just decided exactly the same - we were going to ship next to nothing and share a container with people we know coming to Tauranga just before us - but having read the thread here have now decided to take everything we can!

Having also just read one thread about pets, someone quoted £4,000 for one dog am now in panic about costs of 2 dobermans!!

Can you hold off the barbie until we come out after Christmas?! Mother having hystrionics so have had to promise 1 last Christmas with her!

We must be the old fogies; I'm 36 and Dave's 43! Plus 4 kids! You can play catch up!!

Caroline
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:40 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mt Maunganui
Posts: 7
Isabel&David is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by daviesl
Hi Both
We are hoping to get furniture shipped yes. More things are coming with us that previously thought after reading the thread's on here about what to take i.e. everything you can... We haven't got as far as looking into shipping companies or getting quotes yet, as we are desperately trying to get our house finished and ready to let out. From what I have heard though it takes about 6-8weeks for the shipment? is that about right?

Thanks for the offer of looking into rentals may PM you nearer the time. Any help can only be good

As for ages arrhhh I have just turned the big 30!!!! :scared: and Jim is 32, ditto on the kids front, we have none either. Will hold you to the barbie!!

Laura and Jim
Laura and Jim....

How are you today??
I think it's definately a good idea to bring as many things as you can....as long as they are not really old things and stuff, it's really worth it!
All we brought was our VW camper, personal belongings, crockery and cooking pots, towels and bedding and computers. Someone told us the english tv's wouldnt work in nz but I read on one of the threads that that wasn't true.
We basically had to buy quite a lot when we got here and things like washing machines and stuff aren't cheap. But for example we just bought a 42" Plasma tv for 3000 bucks, so thats not that bad I think....
We also just bought a leather lounge suite, 1 x 3 seater and 2 x 2 seaters for 3000 bucks, not bad at all, so some things are cheap and some things are very expensive.

Cant wait for our barbie get together....the only thing we could do with is some nice sausies!!! The sausages here are a shocker, honestly! The only ones that you can eat really are the ones you get from a German butcher in Tauranga, they are delish!
Dont think you can bring sausages with you either, I think customs would not be too pleased to see fresh meat from UK!! Nevermind, we'll just have the German sausies.
Oh, I keep going on I know!
Right, better do some work now....speak to you later peeps!

Izzy x
Isabel&David is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.