Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Food, Stuff You Are Used To

Food, Stuff You Are Used To

Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:27 am
It Was Here This Morning

Want2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really nice
Default Re: Food, Stuff You Are Used To

Well,

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I cannot wait to get over there and try some of the things you have recommended.
My British diet is not the best in the world and I am looking forward to doing some healthy eating, at least I know the NZ lamb will definitely be NZ lamb and the idea of lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime and chillies growing in my garden WOW.

Karma to you all.

Regards

Paul

Last edited by Want2goNow; Apr 28th 2007 at 7:30 am.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Zak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Want2goNow
Well,

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I cannot wait to get over there and try some of the things you have recommended.
My British diet is not the best in the world and I am looking forward to doing some healthy eating, at least I know the NZ lamb will definitely be NZ lamb and the idea of lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime and chillies growing in my garden WOW.

Karma to you all.

Regards

Paul
My OH misses Maynards wine gums and Galaxy chocolate. I buy gravy granuals from the English shop.
You can't get decent chips they're all the McCain frozen type and not good.
Although the fish is lovely especially lemon fish(shark), gurnard and schnapper.I grow all of my own herbs and tomatoes, capsicums, chillies, raspberries and strawberries. So much easier here. The fruit tastes better here, it's naturally sweet.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zak and Sandie
lemon fish(shark)
Fancy that!

I never knew lemon fish was shark!

Tastes nice though
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:39 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

You can't get decent chips they're all the McCain frozen type and not good.

Cut a potato up, par boil, drain, toss in hot oil,pop in a hot oven, hey presto
Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:06 am
It Was Here This Morning

Want2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really nice

No laughing here ok,

What are lamb flaps?????????????
Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:10 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

No laughing here ok,

Sheep wings.

Sheep in the UK are the domesticated ground-based variety but in NZ we have the walking ones and the flying ones.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:22 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

My OH misses Maynards wine gums
I can cure her of that I worked in a Maynards factory nearly 30 years ago (that's just not fair - I'm still 27 ). Anyway, it was an awful job - thousands of bloody wine gums in a wooden 'set' and I just kept rolling up these packets of gums, all day long, every day. One day....... a mouse dropped into the set, on top of the wine gums, right in front of me Once I'd stopped screaming (and the mouse had finished scrambling around in the sweets and had disappeared) I asked the supervisor how I'd dispose of the sweets. He told me to keep on rolling! I have never, ever, touched a wine gum since the day I left that factory - or any Maynards sweets for that matter. I know practices change but ..... ew!

And, I never knew Lemon Fish was shark either = and it's my favourite
Old Apr 28th 2007, 2:15 pm
It Was Here This Morning

Originally Posted by Avid
Sheep wings.

Sheep in the UK are the domesticated ground-based variety but in NZ we have the walking ones and the flying ones.

LOL but still confused
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Zak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
add some basil, oregano and garlic salt. Tastes great
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

No laughing here ok,

They're very cheap, very fatty cuts - I think they're cut from the belly and probably used as dog food in the UK - NZ exports shiploads to The Islands as a contribution to obesity/type 2 diabetes.

Think I prefer Avid's explanation
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:39 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I can cure her of that I worked in a Maynards factory nearly 30 years ago (that's just not fair - I'm still 27 ). Anyway, it was an awful job - thousands of bloody wine gums in a wooden 'set' and I just kept rolling up these packets of gums, all day long, every day. One day....... a mouse dropped into the set, on top of the wine gums, right in front of me Once I'd stopped screaming (and the mouse had finished scrambling around in the sweets and had disappeared) I asked the supervisor how I'd dispose of the sweets. He told me to keep on rolling! I have never, ever, touched a wine gum since the day I left that factory - or any Maynards sweets for that matter. I know practices change but ..... ew!

And, I never knew Lemon Fish was shark either = and it's my favourite

I just wouldn't eat if I thought about the practices in the catering trade when I worked in them Batty
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:43 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
Why would you par boil it

Peel, chip, leave to soak in a bowl of fresh water for a bit, drain and fry ... yummm
Have to add I can't stand chips lol yuk, yuk, yuk!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:54 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Why would you par boil it

Peel, chip, leave to soak in a bowl of fresh water for a bit, drain and fry ... yummm
Have to add I can't stand chips lol yuk, yuk, yuk!
Excuse me hijacking - any more news on your house build Sky? Get that thread back up!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 7:16 am
sky
Banned

I wish .... nope those builders are keeping us waiting but it will be any day now
Old Apr 29th 2007, 7:23 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
I wish .... nope those builders are keeping us waiting but it will be any day now
Sounds familiar doesn't it?
Can you imagine doing that in other occupations?
Sorry, can't give you that really important medication today but I might manage next Tuesday Doesn't happen like that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.