Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flights, Baggage Allowance and Bank Accounts

Flights, Baggage Allowance and Bank Accounts

Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights, Baggage Allowance and Bank Accounts

Email response from Singapore Airlines as follows (this information relates to me telling them I will have a Skilled Migrant Visa) :

Please be advised that for flights departing from London
Heathrow/Manchester and if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated
Residence visa for New Zealand, then you will be entitled to the migrant
baggage allowance (40 kilos, per seat passenger).

This visa has to be used for the first time to enter into New Zealand and
the migrant baggage will be granted after, the visa has been verified by
our staff at the check-in counter on the day of your departure.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed
your total checked allowances
No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and
safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then
you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 30
kilos per seated passenger.

We hope that the above information helps.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by davros1984
pippa - the things that are mentioned above about extra luggage -i was never entitled to when i asked. i always fly with emirates as you get 30kg and they never check the weight of hold luggage.

when i enquired with qantas, air nz and virgin, i was told plainly that another 20kilo suitcase would cost me another £180. things may have changed recently, but that was my experience. cheers.
Sorry Davros, but QANTAS gives you 30 kilos checked baggage allowance between London and New Zealand, the same as Emirates, as they codeshare. Also, if you are a QANTAS Club member or hold Silver FF status, you get 42 kilos instead of 30 kilos. The rule is that you must be on a QANTAS flight or a codeshare that has a QANTAS flight number.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nzneville
Sorry Davros, but QANTAS gives you 30 kilos checked baggage allowance between London and New Zealand, the same as Emirates, as they codeshare. Also, if you are a QANTAS Club member or hold Silver FF status, you get 42 kilos instead of 30 kilos. The rule is that you must be on a QANTAS flight or a codeshare that has a QANTAS flight number.
This depends on when Davros asked as this only changed relatively recently.

The other good thing about Qantas and Emirates is that it's just a weight limit and a weight AND pieces of luggage limit.

You can have as many bags as you like as long as the average is 30kgs per person and no one bag is heavier than 30kgs.

To the OP;

On baggage allowance we managed to survive over 3 months with the standard baggage allowance we were afforded with the various airlines we used. I even travelled with stuff that went unused.

On the banking there is no reason not to set up your bank account whilst in the UK. Do not wait until you get to NZ to do, it is a huge faff these days, as I found out when I got here.

On the plus side, the wife (who already had an account in NZ) was forced to bankroll me
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=TommyLuck;11155421]This depends on when Davros asked as this only changed relatively recently.

Depends how you define recently, as I made a booking at the beginning of April last year and it was alrady 30 kilos, exept for North and South America.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhatToDo82
OK, so I am thumb twiddling whilst waiting for the ex's decision on whether I need to take him to court to remove the wee one to NZ.

Thumb twiddling has involved looking at the best/most convenient/cheapest options for:

Flights from London (Heathrow or Gatwick) to Auckland, any options that allow extra baggage and associated costs.

Bank accounts in NZ - pros and cons and whether it's worth trying to get one before we go.

Transferring funds from UK to NZ when we leave. Possible costs and delays in doing so.

Anyone got any experience of any of these things?
Air NZ I have found had the best price, each time. £75 each to buy extra luggage.

We got bank account in NZ from UK before we left, very easy, and very useful to send money in advance. Once we arrived that bank wasn't the best any more, the switch was easy. Transferring funds takes about a week. If you use HiFX it avoids international banking transfer fees, competitive exchange rates also.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
pippa - the things that are mentioned above about extra luggage -i was never entitled to when i asked. i always fly with emirates as you get 30kg and they never check the weight of hold luggage.

when i enquired with qantas, air nz and virgin, i was told plainly that another 20kilo suitcase would cost me another £180. things may have changed recently, but that was my experience. cheers.
I stopped using them when they DID check a bag weight for a friend who was travelling with team GB to China (I went too but I was ok) and was charged £500 per kilo for her bag being over!
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by M_and_M
I stopped using them when they DID check a bag weight for a friend who was travelling with team GB to China (I went too but I was ok) and was charged £500 per kilo for her bag being over!
Really? Eeek! thats some luggage: for clarity - ANZ baggage charges
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

It was a 30kg allowance, and we were travelling to the triathlon world champs, so had bikes with us. Her bike wasn't that much over but the charges were...
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nzneville
Depends how you define recently, as I made a booking at the beginning of April last year and it was alrady 30 kilos, exept for North and South America.
All I know is that I booked a multi-stop with Qantas in August 2012 for flights in May and June 2013 and I was restricted to 23kgs, whilst all around in me in check in were blatantly lugging around more than than that.

I can't remember specifics (because I couldn't change anything and I'd planned for 23kgs anyhow) but it was explained to me at the check in counter at LAX that because I'd booked before a certain date I was on the old weight tariff.

So at some stage between August 2012 and May 2013 they changed it.

Anyway, this means that you're right now, but Davros information isn't that old.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Ray3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond repute

thought id update this thread:

London to Christchurch: one way flying end of April
Air new Zealand - £900 - 23kg - 31hours flight
Virgin - £708 - 24kg - 26hours
Qantas - £713 - 32kg - 30hours
Singapore air - £699.50 - 32kg - 25hours
Emirates - £715 - 30kg - 28hours

Found a really cheap way to get to the airport, bloody coach (never thought id say it). From somerset to heathrow £10.50 each for me and the wife 3hr travel. Amazing price if you book ahead. Went with NationalExpress

Extra baggage - using PSSremovals. To airfreight 40kgs tools approx. 11cube will set me back around £400 door to door.

Hope this helps others in future
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Have some BE karma Ray3324 for sharing with others. Very helpful
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Not just Qantas

Singapore Airlines and Emirates allow you take up to 50kg in baggage (2 suitcases) if you can show that you have a valid visa in your passport
Only if it's a permanent vise, WTR, work visas etc they won't
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

If you open an ANZ account then fly with emirates then you get double luggage, 53kg BUT can only fly into Auckland, but bear in mind internal flight luggage allowance if you have to fly somewhere from Auckland
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
NEVER again will I fly Emirates to NZ.
May I ask why not?